Shanklands 29 goals

The Ayr owner was in the rhag as saying he would rather loss him for nothing in the summer than let him go for a small fortune in January, his goals will get Ayr into
The spl which is a ‘once in a generation’ achievement and ‘money couldn’t buy that’.

If we did make a winning bid he would be there till the start of next season.

For the sake of £300k odds this boy could bang in a lot of goals for us imo it’s a no brainer , no one can say he doesn’t know where the goal is

I remember us signing Nicky Clark after he scored 41 goals in a season for QOS. Look how that turned out.
I remember we signed a player from Shettleston juniors for £250, he turned out not too bad. People keep quoting Clark as though this means Shankland would fail, Clark is not even relevant to Shankland, should we sign him, he'll be judged on what Shankland performs, nothing else.

Watching that all I really see is a guy who looks a decent striker in the second tier of Scottish football.

He could probably do a turn in the top flight for the likes of Dundee or Motherwell, but certainly doesn’t convince me he’s much better than that.

To draw a comparison of sorts, when I first watched clips of Morelos tearing up the Finnish league, which probably isn’t a hell of a lot better than bottom half SPFL level, I could still see in his speed, movement, control and eye for goal, that he was a player with the tools to succeed at a higher level.

We need to find more players like that, not run of the mill SPFL level strikers that might at a push make it onto our bench.

It could be that you are just a very poor judge of a player though mate, seems so anyway, hes well worth a place on our bench, tbh id be finding a way to start Shankland in most games in the 2nd half of the campaign but i doubt the boss will change his system. Nice option to bring on when teams are packed around their own penalty box.

What we really need to do is find quality like Shankland before hes on live tv smashing them in from all angles in the top league here(for Dundee or Motherwell:D) or the 2nd league in England. He should be in the Scotland squad too even playing for Ayr.

The Ayr owner was in the rhag as saying he would rather loss him for nothing in the summer than let him go for a small fortune in January, his goals will get Ayr into
The spl which is a ‘once in a generation’ achievement and ‘money couldn’t buy that’.

If we did make a winning bid he would be there till the start of next season.

Can totally understand that and do have some sympathy for Ayr but then they would have to gamble on him not being gutted or even pissed off about not signing for the biggest club in the country and one he obviously adores. Tough shit we need him asap.

Why not get the lad but let him stay with ayr till end of season... he wont be a 1st starter but he knows were the goals are...
Im thinking christie with celtic..
Honestly think if we miss out n shankland it could come back to haunt us...

We had a thread before I think but couldn't find it. He has the striker instinct for sure. Out of contract in the summer

This young guy looks as if he could comfortably make the step up, Ignore the goals total and look at his technique he rarely blasts the ball, he appears to have what all good strikers have, he knows where the goal is no matter where he is facing Ally in particular had this knack also the lad is built strongly is not too tall a lower centre of gravity like Alfie means he's hard to push off the ball by being unbalanced, I hope we would take a chance with this lad, we have bought worse with no comparable goals record, posts on her allude to him being one of us, good makes it a bit easier. the great Jimmy Millar came to mind re-build and the war horse could jump with the best of them.

Another Nicky Clark

We need much better for 55
So we buy one lower league striker who does not make an impact and every single other strike from lower divisions gets labelled a Nicky clark.
We don't have millions of spare cash that's why we have so many loans.
We need to shop clever take some low risk gambles and hopefully find a gem.

The scum do it and get good players and make cash.
Christie Armstrong Morgan ect

For us Tav windass declan John ect

Buying bringing on and selling is our club model king has said so

Would you have been happy seeing Shankland coming off the bench in the eightieth minute against Vienna on Thursday to rescue the match?

Me neither.

I get the argument for taking a punt, but ultimately in a situation like that it’ll all boil down to cost. For a minimal fee, then he’s possibly an option, but if the price was too high then those funds may be of greater value elsewhere.
If he's out of contract in the Summer, then tie him up on a pre contract now for no fee, a risk free punt on a prolific (at championship level) striker ? madness not to

It could be that you are just a very poor judge of a player though mate, seems so anyway, hes well worth a place on our bench, tbh id be finding a way to start Shankland in most games in the 2nd half of the campaign but i doubt the boss will change his system. Nice option to bring on when teams are packed around their own penalty box.

What we really need to do is find quality like Shankland before hes on live tv smashing them in from all angles in the top league here(for Dundee or Motherwell:D) or the 2nd league in England. He should be in the Scotland squad too even playing for Ayr.

As I say, going by the video, I didn’t really see anything special.

Put it this way, does he look better than the likes of Cummings did at that level?

I’m not sure he does.

But yeah, I’m certainly no expert and it’s possible he might make the step up where others have failed.

Scotland though?
As poor as they are, I don’t think so.

Boyd was banging goals in, in the SPL before we signed him.

Shankland couldn't get a sniff at the sheep

Good point and much more important than what Kris Boyd did or Nicky Clark didn’t do.
That said, maybe the set back at the sheep could be a plus for him, maybe he’s matured and realises the opportunity he missed, or escaped from.
Remember, this lad wasn’t rated too far behind Robertson when at Queens.

Would you have been happy seeing Shankland coming off the bench in the eightieth minute against Vienna on Thursday to rescue the match?

Me neither.
With no chances being made it would be pointless but most strikers would struggle with the current quality of attacking play.

I'm not saying he is what we need but if we were creating loads of chances he would score plenty.

Good point and much more important than what Kris Boyd did or Nicky Clark didn’t do.
That said, maybe the set back at the sheep could be a plus for him, maybe he’s matured and realises the opportunity he missed, or escaped from.
Remember, this lad wasn’t rated too far behind Robertson when at Queens.
We turn our noses up at anyone at times on here mate.

The truth is none of us know if he'd do well at Rangers

We turn our noses up at anyone at times on here mate.

The truth is none of us know if he'd do well at Rangers
It’s the rationale for writing him off that beats me.
I know it was a different world back then but we signed some of our greatest and most successful players from lower leagues.
Yes, and some diddies as well.
However, it was also a different world when Nicky Clark was signed.
That needs considered as well.

Make that 29 goals now (25 minutes gone), pre contract is a must, no risk but everything to gain

The boys certainly on some run of form.

Whether he could do it for us is another thing

Me neither.
You could have brought Messi on in the eightieth minute against Vienna and it would not have made any difference for the service to Morelos from midfield was practically non existent

He’s also a diehard bear which might mean if we are interested will be persuaded to come to us rather than the offers down south.

The boy is banging goals in at championship level. He should be given the opportunity again at the next level and hopefully it's with us. Morelos came from a lower quality league than the SPFL and has risen to the challenge - you can only give them the opportunity and see what happens.

I'm aware he had that chance at Aberdeen but its called progression. He has progressed since then.

Well be amongst the biggest moaners if there is improvement in this player and we miss out on it.

Can he do the business against a 10 man defence ?
Looks like another N.Clark or David Templeton signing that comes with a risk factor. Might have to bide his time for starts which also doesnt suit strikers confidence.
Which puts me firmly on the fence.

Sometimes there is a lot of snobbery going on when talking about young Scottish players.If he was foreign and banging in goals abroad somewhere there would be a clamour to get him signed up.

Back