Shankly: Natures Fire

I haven't watched it yet. I would love to see a doc on Shankly which wasn't filled with numerous funny anecdotes. Listening to the usual old time Liverpool players normally wheeled out on these docs all Shankly was was a one man stand-up comedy act. Going by his managerial record im going to assume he was much, much more than that.

I'm not a fan of Liverpool but I bought Shankly's book ,great read ,in the first couple of chapters he mentioned he wanted to go to Ibrox to see the the Rangers when growing up
Years later Tommy Smith came out to the oil rig I was working on & I got him to sign it ,he told some good stories about Shankly
These characters are a sad loss to the game

If you find yourself falling out of love with football, listen to a Shankly interview or read either his autobiography or biography and it should all come back to you.

Even after a lifetime in football, Harry Redknapp used to listen tapes of Shankly on his way to training when he managed Spurs.

Reactions: WBD
I haven't watched it yet. I would love to see a doc on Shankly which wasn't filled with numerous funny anecdotes. Listening to the usual old time Liverpool players normally wheeled out on these docs all Shankly was was a one man stand-up comedy act. Going by his managerial record im going to assume he was much, much more than that.

Bill and Bob were my Papa’s cousins.

There was a helluva lot more to him than the public image.

When talking about playing football when growing up, my Papa said ‘Wullie would have kicked the heid aff yer body to win a shy’.

Shankly could be a hard bassa when needed and a shoulder to cry on when needed. That’s what made him great.

Just like every other top man manger before and since.

Bill and Bob were my Papa’s cousins.

There was a helluva lot more to him than the public image.

When talking about playing football when growing up, my Papa said ‘Wullie would have kicked the heid aff yer body to win a shy’.

Shankly could be a hard bassa when needed and a shoulder to cry on when needed. That’s what made him great.

Just like every other top man manger before and since.

Bob was wife’s uncle, pal, married to her dads sister, Bradford’s from Muirkirk

Bob was wife’s uncle, pal, married to her dads sister, Bradford’s from Muirkirk

Taits and Blyths from Stonehouse, Muirkirk, etc.

Used to go through to Muirkirk for a week or two every summer when the schools finished up.

Stayed with my Papa’s sister, my great auntwho lived on Henderson Drive. Can remember the Games Hall being built and opening and playing 5 a side in there with the local boys.

Also mind doing the Cairn Table race!

Was a great wee village 30 odd years ago. Shame seeing it these days.

Back