Shearer or Suarez?

Zizou

Was having a lockdown WhatsApp footy debate with geordie friends and I asked who is the better player in their prime?
I said Suarez and they obviously said Shearer in fact they said it’s not even close.
Am I being stupid or are they biased?

As above, two very different players so a difficult argument. As an out and out striker Shearer is better than Suarez. However, Suarez can do a lot more on the wings and supporting from behind. Also a very good finisher but not at the level Shearer was.

Shearer is a bit of a prick however Suarez is a completely, total and utter c##t so Shearer wins for me.

Shearer although I'm not sure they are all that comparible despite them both playing the same position.

Suarez has agressiin in his game. Ask yourself this dude. Would shearer make it in today's tactics and ticky taka style football? Would he %^*& lol. Poachers and modern offside rules cannot function together, sadly.

Would Suarez cut it as an out and out goal scorer in Shearers day of ankle breakers?:without a doubt! He makes Dracula look like a shy biter mind haha

Hard to argue against Saurez; very special talent. Arguably the best goal, technically, I've ever seen was scored by him, against Newcastle I think. As someone argued above, though, very different players.

Are folk serious when they call Shearer a poacher ?

Shearer had the lot as a striker - Pace, power, aggression, headers, volleys, free kicks. Didn't matter if it was 5 yards or 35 yards - that net was getting burst.

The idea he was just a poacher is wrong.

Shearer had the lot as a striker - Pace, power, aggression, headers, volleys, free kicks. Didn't matter if it was 5 yards or 35 yards - that net was getting burst.

I was just thinking along the same lines. He was a long way from being just a poacher, you just need to think of the amount of long range goals he scored to see that.

Who’s called him a poacher? I’ve only seen people say he’d score more but Suarez offers more outwith

Who’s called him a poacher? I’ve only seen people say he’d score more but Suarez offers more outwith

"if we were feeding balls in for a poacher it’s Shearer"

"Would shearer make it in today's tactics and ticky taka style football? Would he %^*& lol. Poachers and modern offside rules cannot function together, sadly."

"if we were feeding balls in for a poacher it’s Shearer"

"Would shearer make it in today's tactics and ticky taka style football? Would he %^*& lol. Poachers and modern offside rules cannot function together, sadly."
Just realised I said that oops :)) To be fake to myself I’ve not been to sleep. but I stand by two very different players

This. I’ve no idea where the mental idea Shearer was just a poacher comes from. In his very latter days, no he wasn’t the most mobile. But at his peak he was the complete striker. At the time only really eclipsed by original Ronaldo in that respect. And to be fair, Ronaldo eclipsed everyone.

Who would I rather want playing for Rangers?

Shearer every day of the week, Scottish hammer throwers wouldn’t know what hit them, he would give it back and then some. Plus he scored 30 goals a season in the EPL, he would hit 50 in this backwater.

Suarez is the more technically gifted player but he is prone to a tantrum, and a bite.

its a hard one ........... all round player is Suarez , just as a striker/goalscorer it's Shearer

Who would I rather want playing for Rangers?

Shearer every day of the week, Scottish hammer throwers wouldn’t know what hit them, he would give it back and then some. Plus he scored 30 goals a season in the EPL, he would hit 50 in this backwater.

Suarez is the more technically gifted player but he is prone to a tantrum, and a bite.

Shearer in this team with supply from Tav and Borna would hit 60 or 70 goals.

Look how many he was getting when his main supply was Jason Wilcox and Stuart Ripley, the most basic of basic wingers

Had the pleasure of watching Shearer at NUFC for 13 years so I'm always going to say him. The stats show he is the highest ever goalscorer by some margin in Premier League history so that'll do for me!

Being honest, Suarez is the better footballer. But i absolutely loved Shearer. There's a lot to be said for strikers back in the 90s/early 2000s that could absolutely leather the ball like Shearer and Batistuta could.

UnpleasantWhichDragon-max-1mb.gif

Suarez, by quite some margin.
My instinct was to disagree but according to Wiki its Suarez based on goals per game. Shearer opted for smaller clubs but scored over 30 goals for England. Suarez scoring record at Ajax and Liverpool were amazing. Hes almost a goal per game for Barca.

All round ability obviously Suarez but don't think there's many other strikers you'd want in front of goal than an in his prime Alan Shearer

Suarez is the better player. He is a b@llsack though and has the potential to split a dressing room.

Shearer the better option for me, great player good attitude.

Shearer was brilliant but I honestly don’t even think it’s a debate Suarez everyday of the week absolute joy to watch.

Looks like I was wrong and my mates were right looks like shearer edges it!
Can I just add when they ridiculed me for mentioned Suarez in same sentence as shearer I then said what about shearer and Henry and was shearer by a land slide o_O

Shearer for me.

Absolutely brilliant player and could be hard as nails, without doing in the manner of a sneaky wee Bucky toothed snidey wank like Suarez :D

Back