Shearer or Suarez?

Shearer all day long.

Banged them in for England too at a very high level.

Bit like Suarez with Uruguay then, with whom he’s actually won an international tournament. Mental thread, also worth noting the EPL wasn’t the all conquering strongest league in the world during Shearers prime and title win too.

Misty eyed nostalgia and British pride have taken over I think.

Its a tough one but Shearer for me. The complete centre forward in my view and in his day could have walked into any team in the world.
His loyalty to newcastle has probably swayed a lot of people towards suarez being better due to him moving to top clubs who played in the top level in Europe.

Bit like Suarez with Uruguay then, with whom he’s actually won an international tournament. Mental thread, also worth noting the EPL wasn’t the all conquering strongest league in the world during Shearers prime and title win too.

Misty eyed nostalgia and British pride have taken over I think.

Half of the teams in that tournament Scotland could beat, but it’s a valid point you make in fairness.

We shall agree to disagree i think.

Half of the teams in that tournament Scotland could beat, but it’s a valid point you make in fairness.

The Copa America? It’s a hard tournament mate, you don’t get to play against dross like Australia, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Tunisia, NI, Albania, Republic of Ireland, Iceland etc. That’s why the CONMEBOL WC qualifiers are by far the toughest.

Shearer was superb though, just having seen both players I’m a bit gobsmacked so many have opted for him when Suarez was so much more capable of winning games on his own. But then maybe Suarez’s temperament and general cuntyness is affecting things too.

Difficult one. For the majority of both their careers they would have walked into any side in the world.

Shearer was a beast of a forward and a remarkable finisher, most of the time absolute thunderbolts that the keeper had no chance with.

Suarez at Liverpool was breathtaking, particularly the season when Liverpool just missed out. He has then went on to have great success at Barca.

The game has changed so much in 20 years when you look at the qualities of both these strikers.

I would opt for Suarez, just. I would have loved to have seen Shearer at Man Utd - perhaps my answer might have been different. He would have won countless trophies and battered in even more goals. He would deny it, but he must have regrets. Then again, give me the title of Rangers greatest ever goalscorer / player and I would bite your hand off.

The Copa America? It’s a hard tournament mate, you don’t get to play against dross like Australia, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Tunisia, NI, Albania, Republic of Ireland, Iceland etc. That’s why the CONMEBOL WC qualifiers are by far the toughest.

Shearer was superb though, just having seen both players I’m a bit gobsmacked so many have opted for him when Suarez was so much more capable of winning games on his own. But then maybe Suarez’s temperament and general cuntyness is affecting things too.

It adds to his brilliance IMO. Win at all costs. Likes of him and big Ramos has this evil Bastard streak in them that separates them from the rest.

Loved when he "saved" a Ghana shot in the line on 2010 in the last minute. They missed the penalty to win the game and got put out on pens.

I really don’t think that could be further from the truth, not just because of the aggressive style of play but the issue with climate and altitude in some of these games. But sure, agree to disagree.

It adds to his brilliance IMO. Win at all costs. Likes of him and big Ramos has this evil Bastard streak in them that separates them from the rest.

To be fair sinking your teeth into opposition players is taking it a bit far though! I never understood the outage when he hand balled in South Africa though. I’d have done the same, he took one for the team and it ended up putting his country through, he was a hero. I think all that anger was purely because he destroyed everyone’s little fairytale of an African team in the semi finals.

Just looking objectively at their careers:

If you are basing it on trophies - Suarez
If you are basing it on goals scored - Suarez
If you are basing it on goals per game (even in EPL) - Suarez
If you are basing it on goals plus assists - Suarez
if you base it on sportsmanship, loyalty and ambassadorial qualities - Shearer

People become better players the longer they have stopped playing as well though and there's a definite element of nostalgia when looking back at older eras or players you enjoyed growing up so it works both ways.

For a couple of years, Suarez was arguably the best player on the planet behind Messi and Ronaldo who are both in the top 5 players ever to play the game. Was Shearer ever at the level that he was considered the best number 9 on the planet?

94-97 Shearer would have been considered one of the best number 9s, maybe Batistuta and Romario along with him?

Then R9 came along and eclipsed everyone

If you compare medals then it's Suarez by a country mile.

If you compare personalities then it's Shearer.

Suarez has played and scored lots of goals in Holland, England and Spain. Represented Uruguay for nearly a decade. He's capable of the sublime and the idiotic in equal measure. He's without a doubt one the best strikers of his generation though. Shearer was as well but in my view Shearer settled for mediocrity at his boyhood club. Whereas Suarez pushed for greatness.

Shearer will always be fondly remembered by fans in the UK. Suarez will be remembered the world over. Just my opinion. The UK is inherently Anglo focused when it comes to football. Always has been and it usually means these types of debates never amount to much and you'll never settle on a concensus.

If you compare medals then it's Suarez by a country mile.

If you compare personalities then it's Shearer.

Suarez has played and scored lots of goals in Holland, England and Spain. Represented Uruguay for nearly a decade. He's capable of the sublime and the idiotic in equal measure. He's without a doubt one the best strikers of his generation though. Shearer was as well but in my view Shearer settled for mediocrity at his boyhood club. Whereas Suarez pushed for greatness.

Shearer will always be fondly remembered by fans in the UK. Suarez will be remembered the world over. Just my opinion. The UK is inherently Anglo focused when it comes to football. Always has been and it usually means these types of debates never amount to much and you'll never settle on a concensus.
Yes have to agree. Shearer passed up the chance to play for Manure. I accept his desire to play for Newcastle as most on here would have gave their right hand to play for the Rangers.
I live in NW England and have three good mates who go and watch Liverpool. They each say Suarez is best player they have seen play for Liverpool. In their 50's and early 60's so see Dogleash, Rush etc. Fabulous player but horrible attitude at times.

Shearer was a beast of a player, used to love seeing him on MotD growing up. The poacher comment was hilarious, when I think shearer I automatically think of a volley from outside the box. I'm willing to guess he was selected for more PL goal of the months than any other player, any FF statisticians back this claim up lol?( hilarious if it was suarez)
Suarez, also a monster of a player. Would have been a fairer comparison achievement-wise if Shearer never followed his heart and went to Man U.
Im struggling with this one. Going to pick Shearer, imagine him in our 9iar side

Back