Sheyi Ojo reckons he’s found love at Rangers after joining on loan

Bonnyloyal

SHEYI OJO has spent his whole career looking for love.

Now the winger reckons he’s finally found it at Rangers.

After four loan spells, the 22-year-old is desperate for a club to embrace his talents and put an arm round his shoulder.

Ojo looked on from a distance as the Rangers support took his Liverpool team-mate Ryan Kent to their hearts last season.

And he wants a piece of that affection for himself after penning a 12-month loan deal at Ibrox.

Ojo — who has the word ‘Love’ tattooed on his right bicep — admits he’s already beginning to feel at home despite only hooking up with the Gers squad for the first time last week.

He said: “The tattoo on my arm says most about me. Only because everyone wants to be loved.

“Love is the most important thing, especially as a footballer, you want to have that family behind you.

“If you can get that then it is an amazing feeling.

“When you go on loan all the time you don’t have that stability.

“I’m hoping that this season I can find that family within Rangers.

“I knew this season could be the most important one for me and this move just felt right.

“I’m already in love with Rangers. The club just feels like a proper family. Compared to Rangers the other loan spells I’ve had haven’t felt like that.”

Ojo came through the Anfield youth system with Kent, who quickly sold him on the benefits of heading north of the border.

He said: “I knew Ryan well as I came through the academy at Liverpool with him. I think we are similar types of characters and have had similar loan spells.

“Every footballer needs that opportunity to feel loved and Ryan showed that last season when he had the backing of the manager.

“He had a great season and became a favourite with the fans.

“Hopefully I can do the same and show everyone what I can do.

“I spoke to him before I joined and he said he loved it up here.

“He spoke highly of the staff, the players and the fans.

“He said that from every point of view it was the best loan you could have. As soon as Rangers wanted to sign me I didn’t have anything to think about. It was straightforward.

“I can’t control any of the stuff about the possibility of Ryan coming back but if he came then it would be just like in the academy. Hopefully we can be tearing up the league.”

Ojo had no shortage of options for next season but when Steven Gerrard made his sales pitch, he admits the decision to join Rangers was a no-brainer.

The fact that former Liverpool youth coaches Michael Beale and Tom Culshaw were part of the set-up was another attraction.

Ojo added: “I feel Rangers are a massive club and, after speaking with the manager, I felt it was the best decision to come here.

“It is very similar to Liverpool. The stadium is massive, they have great fans and they have some great players in the squad now.

“Hopefully, I can help the team and have a consistent season of good football.

“The manager’s last season at Liverpool as a player was my breakthrough season at the club.

“I was training with him while I already knew all the backroom staff from Liverpool.

“That was an added bonus when I came here. I already knew the manager and his staff.”

Ojo arrives in Glasgow with almost 80 first-team games under his belt for Liverpool, Wigan, Wolves, Fulham and French outfit Reims.

The youngster feels he benefited from each of his loan stints although, after being given free rein by Gerrard to express himself, he’s confident Rangers will see the best of him.

He added: “That’s what I am most excited about. I know that if I work hard for the manager I will have that opportunity to be myself.

“On the other loan spells, I didn’t feel like I had that opportunity. This season I am really focused on showing what I can really do.

“Last season I was desperate to play and I wanted a different challenge so that’s why I went to the French league.

“That was my most important loan and while I didn’t play as often as I’d have liked I felt I learnt a lot about what I need to be like in the future.

“I felt I learned more about myself as a person. During all my loan spells I didn’t really play like myself.

“I did what I needed to do to try and fit into the team.

“I realised that if I play the way I prefer to then the best version of me will come through

“Touch wood I don’t get any injuries and I will have a very good season. Whenever I speak to the staff at Liverpool they all have high hopes for me.

“It is just about getting that consistent season under my belt and taking it from there."

Exactly what you want to hear.

Wants to work hard, wants to prove what he can do and he's in the perfect place to do it. The environment with Gerrard and Beale is everything he could want, as it was for Kent, and he'll have full backing from the fans to try things and be encouraged to keep doing it.

Stage is set, go and smash it son.

Ojo will be unplayable at times, he has an excellent 1st touch and can waltz by players, hopefully he hits it off because if he does it will be massive for us.

Another lad who comes across incredibly well - seems intelligent and professional, and desperate for the opportunity. Gerrard clearly has a type! Great to hear Kent gave us such a glowing reference too.

Looking forward to seeing Ojo in action, if he meets his potential then we'll have a superstar on the pitch!

Welcome to Scotland's national club Sheyi. If you do it for us on the field of play and together we achieve our destiny, then you will be loved like you've never experienced before.

“I can’t control any of the stuff about the possibility of Ryan coming back but if he came then it would be just like in the academy. Hopefully we can be tearing up the league.”

Mega Stauncher at that thought

Interesting. Sure there was something about him on one of the other threads being a little bit quiet and only really needing more self confidence in his play. Having Gerrard giving him more free reign could be exactly what he needs.

It could also be exactly what we need. If we have a more conventional left winger then having a powerhouse on the right being unpredictable in what they do could serve us well. Especially as wing play on that side is provided by Tav.

Big risk would him not doing the tracking back for Tav. Maybe having Jack in the first 11 will be quite crucial as he was best at covering right back.

You can quote me Scarlett :D. I always said if he shows Kent’s attitude he will do it. And this interview excites me :p
Kent came across as right up for absolutely everything. Talented, hardy, up for the fight.
I'm so surprised he "failed" on previous loans.
He can get better, but his attitude is excellent.
It'll be hard to emulate. For 90% of players so is it a fair ask?
Kent has a bit of the Barry Ferguson attitude about him, and love Fergie or not, it done us alright most of the time!

Kent came across as right up for absolutely everything. Talented, hardy, up for the fight.
Kent has a bit of the Barry Ferguson attitude about him, and love Fergie or not, it done us alright most of the time!

Exactly. His work ethic & attitude are top drawer.
If this boy emulates that, with some of the flair shown in those clips, I fancy him to really star.

Exactly. His work ethic & attitude are top drawer.
If this boy emulates that, with some of the flair shown in those clips, I fancy him to really star.

Sorry to derail thread, and give it your best scouse accent, but do you think Gerrard tells these lads when he is in talks with them, apart from all the positives they will get out of it. "You're gonna get kicked, punched, pushed, pulled, it's a battle and you need to be right up for it, it's like nothing you'll see from League 2 all the way up to the premier.

Players who take that in and want to come, are players you want here!

I grew up with Barry, he lived on my street and we went to the same school, and he was a cocky git from day 1. Absolutely stood out. He was always going to make it, even if it meant pissing folk off on the way. I was very proud to see him as successful in our shirt but not surprised.

Sorry to derail thread, and give it your best scouse accent, but do you think Gerrard tells these lads when he is in talks with them, apart from all the positives they will get out of it. "You're gonna get kicked, punched, pushed, pulled, it's a battle and you need to be right up for it, it's like nothing you'll see from League 2 all the way up to the premier.

Players who take that in and want to come, are players you want here!
Yup, probably. He needs to let them know what they are in for or it won't work for player or club.

One of the reason Kent is successful is his ability to be fouled over and over again. I think he sees it as a compliment.

Yup, probably. He needs to let them know what they are in for or it won't work for player or club.

One of the reason Kent is successful is his ability to be fouled over and over again. I think he sees it as a compliment.

This is a very very good point. In the SPL and especially for us, the most skilful player in the world can get their ability kicked out of them. You have to be up for a fight to come here.

With both Ojo and Aribo, you do often see them running through studs up challenges in their showreels. Hopefully that bodes well

This is a very very good point. In the SPL and especially for us, the most skilful player in the world can get their ability kicked out of them. You have to be up for a fight to come here.

With both Ojo and Aribo, you do often see them running through studs up challenges in their showreels. Hopefully that bodes well
Gerrard and Co have had a year now to see what the league is like and what is required from the players and I've no doubt the physicality is a factor. Jones, Hastie and Stewart are all proven in the league and the other 3 are all big and strong. I doubt that's a coincidence.

Boy looks class. Gonna be amazing and funny to watch him this season making an arse of the £50m man Tierney. Woukd be great to keep Morelos cause I can imagine him ojo and Kent if we get him and with arfield or Murphy in behind the striker we could be unstoppable

Liverpool fan at work rates him slightly better than Kent and said he's nearly good enough to get first team apearances at Liverpool. If true he should take our league by storm.

Saying all the right things and sounds if he has the application to back it up,I have not seen much of the lad but I take the good folk on FF advice that the lad can play.

Can’t wait to see him in a jersey along with Kent hopefully.

WATP

Its players like this its brilliant to get a hold of, someone with a bit of potential who currently isnt the required standard for liverpool(understandable) they come to Rangers initially on loan then fall in love and find a home i.e Kent

Back