Sheyi Ojo to sign five-year deal at Liverpool before joining Rangers on loan

Signed a new contract with Liverpool in August, so surprised if he is signing another one so soon, having only played a few games in France.

I don't get this. Why would Liverpool give a five year deal to a player who can't get a game at Reims? I know he's young but he's 21, not 16. How many players ever really step up at 24?

Truth is, if you're not in the first team by 21 or 22 you probably never will be.

Still happy to have the boy mind. :))

I don't get this. Why would Liverpool give a five year deal to a player who can't get a game at Reims? I know he's young but he's 21, not 16. How many players ever really step up at 24?

Truth is, if you're not in the first team by 21 or 22 you probably never will be.

Because they want a successful loan with a view to selling him on they are doing with with a variety of highly rated youngsters/fringe players to further boost the transfer kitty for the summer it also covers FFP and all that.

Because they want a successful loan with a view to selling him on they are doing with with a variety of highly rated youngsters/fringe players to further boost the transfer kitty for the summer it also covers FFP and all that.

Ah yes that makes more sense. Like the boy Wilson who tore it up at Derby. He won't get in the Liverpool team but will make them a packet. Fair enough. Let's hope the boy puts on a show then.

100% !!!!! This lad is a fucking bumper. He's in a better position to hit the ground running than Kent was this time last year.

Not furious but they still need to replace him now and all they’ve done is help Liverpool out his value up and made him unaffordable for them

It seems to me these loans are great for everyone except the club who get the player for a year

Like I say there are exceptions buut I’d rather see Mcpake promoted and developed in the first team squad than put another Liverpool player in the shop window for them

McPake will get developed along at the right pace mate.

He's nowhere near 1st team football yet, he wasn't even a regular in the reserves last season.

If Gerrard thought he was ready he'd be in.

He's at least 2 years behind Middleton in his development.

McPake will get developed along at the right pace mate.

He's nowhere near 1st team football yet, he wasn't even a regular in the reserves last season.

If Gerrard thought he was ready he'd be in.

He's at least 2 years behind Middleton in his development.
We've had people say for years we would rather develop our own.

Unfortunately the majority of our own are nowhere near ready for first team football. If they are good enough, they will play.

If we are being used to help this lad along for Liverpool's gain and we aren't getting Kent back then I'm against this btw regardless if he's any good for not.

Why mate?
If he's going to improve our team and is affordable to us on loan what's the problem?

What's the difference between taking him rather than Kent on loan?

Money .

We've had people say for years we would rather develop our own.

Unfortunately the majority of our own are nowhere near ready for first team football. If they are good enough, they will play.

Of course they will mate.

Can't understand this mentality of wanting to weaken our side, just for the sake of playing one of our youngsters who isn't ready for the 1st team.

LIVERPOOL winger Sheyi Ojo is set to sign a five-year deal before immediately joining Rangers on loan.

By Harry Howes / Published 23rd May 2019

Ojo spent this season on loan at French side Stade Reims but he struggled to make an impact.

The 21-year-old started just three times in Ligue 1, with his playing time limited to cameos off the bench.

Ojo has been at Liverpool since 2011 and he’s highly rated by the staff at Anfield.

And Starsport understands he’s set to be rewarded with a new five-year deal

Liverpool understand his need for regular minutes and after signing fresh terms, he’ll link up with club legend Steven Gerrard at Rangers.

The Glasgow giants are keen for summer reinforcements as they plot to challenge fierce rivals Celtic for the title.

Gerrard is once again ready to use his connections on Merseyside for transfer favours.

The Gers boss brought in Ryan Kent and Ovie Ejaria last summer

And while he’s keen to have Kent back again, the winger is expected to move elsewhere.

Ojo would likely fill his team-mate’s shoes at Ibrox.

I am laughing at this piece, absolutely clutching at thin air for a story.

Left footed right winger.

May not necessarily mean the end for Ryan Kent.

If anything it may mean the end for Candeias with Hastie and Stewart coming in who can also play on the right side of attack.

Just a No from me. Ojo might be a Kent but more likely an Ejeria, Coulibaly or worse still Sadiq. He was at Rennes and couldn't get game time so wow, he can walk into our starting 11 (as I'm sure his loan will be similar to Kent & Ejaria that we pay stiff penalties if they did not play). I want to win 55 next season and therefore we require experience and quality signings, not a youngster trying to prove himself, especially when you consider just how many wide players we already have at the club.

Just a No from me. Ojo might be a Kent but more likely an Ejeria, Coulibaly or worse still Sadiq. He was at Rennes and couldn't get game time so wow, he can walk into our starting 11 (as I'm sure his loan will be similar to Kent & Ejaria that we pay stiff penalties if they did not play). I want to win 55 next season and therefore we require experience and quality signings, not a youngster trying to prove himself, especially when you consider just how many wide players we already have at the club.
Kent hardly set the heather alight at his previous clubs before us.

Not overly excited about this, after signing Jones and Hastie I was hoping we would invest in genuine quality in that position.

He may well be very talented but will he be able to produce the level of consistency that we need? Also if he does well and has signed a 5 year deal there is no chance of him signing permanently

Kent flopped at Freiburg and Bristol City.

So, we have evidence Ojo is not yet ready for a regular start in a major European league. The next level down would then be at championship level or equivalent. This is probably the level we are currently at.

Coming off a poor loan but so was Kent. Would prefer Kent but open to this. If we turn this guy into a baller as well we better start getting a cut of the transfers they make from these players

Of course they will mate.

Can't understand this mentality of wanting to weaken our side, just for the sake of playing one of our youngsters who isn't ready for the 1st team.

Totally agree mate. Saying we should just develop our own is a pretty naive statement for a bunch of reasons.

If this lad comes in and smashes it then I'll be thrilled. I really hope he's as hard working as Kent has been if he does sign.

Loans rarely work out, aside from the odd exception like Kent .

I hope we are not in for another close season of speculation about which players we are loaning from Liverpool in order to increase their value for them for Liverpool to cash in .

Sign our own players and develop them or play our own youngsters and develop them to sell .

Mate there are very few things more important than stopping the reptiles getting 10, tainted or not. If that means a bit of short-termism, then so be it.

Is this the winger who played in the recent behind close doors 4-4 game at the Hummel whom big DJ on the Four Lads Podcast, said was absolutely some player and was the stand out by miles?

Hahaha phone up Steven Gerrard and let him know it’s a no from you

Just a No from me. Ojo might be a Kent but more likely an Ejeria, Coulibaly or worse still Sadiq. He was at Rennes and couldn't get game time so wow, he can walk into our starting 11 (as I'm sure his loan will be similar to Kent & Ejaria that we pay stiff penalties if they did not play). I want to win 55 next season and therefore we require experience and quality signings, not a youngster trying to prove himself, especially when you consider just how many wide players we already have at the club.[/QUOTE]

Racist

Plays left or right.

This season we had one right sided attacker. This coming season we could have 3: Candeias, Hastie and Ojo. Stewart can play right side depending on formation, game plan and opposition.

Just remember that when we look at some of the benches last season (18/19) when we had very little attacking options on the bench and three central midfielders at times: Davis, McCrorie and Coulibaly.

Next season we've attacking players struggling to make the bench so they will need to work hard and impress. The ones not up for it, won't feature.

Squad competition and that brings the best out in players.

Guy looks good. Skillful, 2 feet and can finish as well.

I feel sorry for Kent. No matter where he goes from now on he will never experience the relationship with a set of fans or a club like he has this year. We are a different animal compared to the majority of tepid, run of the mill clubs down south.

I just hope he doesn't get swallowed up into some soulless squad in the bottom half of the EPL never to be seen again.

Just goes to show how big a draw we are. The lad would walk back up the road to play for us if our game had the money to support that type of transfer fee.

Why more likely an Ejaria than a Kent?

Hopefully he can have similar impact to Kent, tall order but as Kent got used to the pace and craziness of the game up here very quickly

Not sure about this. Kent didn't do that well before coming to us and has been excellent, except his end product needs to be improved. It has been stated that Liverpool want 12 million for him, which rules us out. This boy will be exactly the same. I would rather we developed our own, or loaned young players we had a change of keeping.

looks comfortable on his right and left foot .......... worth a go i'd say

Give us both Kent and Ojo.

Loans are difficult ones, however they are low risk if you can terminate without penalties. If Ojo turns out to be as good as Kent, which many Liverpool fans and staff expect him to then we could have a top quality player on our hands for a year. If he turns out to be a wee shite bag like Ovie then punt him back to Liverpool.

Is this the winger who played in the recent behind close doors 4-4 game at the Hummel whom big DJ on the Four Lads Podcast, said was absolutely some player and was the stand out by miles?

Would be good to know if that's him.

I got told they had a guy that was unplayable that day.

Not furious but they still need to replace him now and all they’ve done is help Liverpool out his value up and made him unaffordable for them

It seems to me these loans are great for everyone except the club who get the player for a year

Like I say there are exceptions but I’d rather see Mcpake promoted and developed in the first team squad than put another Liverpool player in the shop window for them
I tend to agree with everything you’ve said however if Gerrard thinks Ojo can significantly enhance the team then its a no brainier for me.McPake will make it into our first team squad this year but will probably be in and out like Middleton.As you said the downside to that is if they have decent seasons then we’d be priced out a move because of the overpriced transfer fees down south.Imo loans like this benefit us more as we can bulk up the squad with more quality players and leaves our kitty to hopefully get players in we can sell on.

I think part of the worry is that you can never be certain of the motivation levels of loan players. How many loan players have we signed on loan who "got it" like Kent did? I think that's part of the reason there's such a clamour to get him back.

2 maybe 3 loans are okay.

Don't know if there is anything in this story but ,if true, it will be the Gaffers call .

I'm still hopeful we will sign at least 3 ready made players of a good quality on a permanent basis

Last edited:
So much nonsense talked in this post.

Well done.

It is all a matter of opinions. I will hold my hands up and as I have said previously on FF I really am not a fan of loan deals, especially as we seem to go for youngsters, which in the main have proven unsuccessful.

Our loan signings, with the exception of Kent and to a less extent Worrall were poor. To think just because Kent was not a success at his previous loan clubs before coming to Rangers then similar WILL happen with Ojo.

We already have enough wide players in the squad, Murphy, Candeias, Jones, Middleton and Hastie, do we really need one more.

I want 55 next season and we really need experience and quality from midfield to front and therefore looking for exciting signings, a loanee from Liverpool (unless one of those highly touted ones forever mentioned on FF) does not fit the bill.

As discussed numerous times last season, Liverpool's policy for it's loan players is that the must play a high percentage of games, if not the loan club pays steep penalties.

For the life of me if Ojo does arrive I hope he has me eating my words and is a massive success.

If we are being used to help this lad along for Liverpool's gain and we aren't getting Kent back then I'm against this btw regardless if he's any good for not.
As MU posted above, if this lad has 1 brilliant season and helps win 55 then you'll not be moaning then.

It is all a matter of opinions. I will hold my hands up and as I have said previously on FF I really am not a fan of loan deals, especially as we seem to go for youngsters, which in the main have proven unsuccessful.

Our loan signings, with the exception of Kent and to a less extent Worrall were poor. To think just because Kent was not a success at his previous loan clubs before coming to Rangers then similar WILL happen with Ojo.

We already have enough wide players in the squad, Murphy, Candeias, Jones, Middleton and Hastie, do we really need one more.

I want 55 next season and we really need experience and quality from midfield to front and therefore looking for exciting signings, a loanee from Liverpool (unless one of those highly touted ones forever mentioned on FF) does not fit the bill.

As discussed numerous times last season, Liverpool's policy for it's loan players is that the must play a high percentage of games, if not the loan club pays steep penalties.

For the life of me if Ojo does arrive I hope he has me eating my words and is a massive success.
We have hardly anyone on the right wing apart from Candeias and Middleton. Makes sense.

Liverpool Echo saying they doubt the validity of this story as Liverpool would prefer to sell and they only gave him a new long term contract last summer

Back