Sheyi Ojo to sign five-year deal at Liverpool before joining Rangers on loan

Yip and draw crazy conclusions just because we are linked with a loan signing today.

Gerrard already clearly stated the quality will come when the window opens yet many on here choose to ignore that and greet about everything anyway.

The idea people think Gerrard is going into season 2, knowing what's needed and thinking "This is Scotland, I'll just get some kids up on loan" is so utterly boneheaded and dumb it makes my eyes bleed reading it

About 90% sure that was Camacho.

Camacho doesn’t want to sign a new contract and he’s a free agent comes to summer. Whoever picks him up will pick up a very very good player. Seems like Klopp tried to convert him to a full back and he wasn’t happy with it and feels like he’s more of an attacking player. Been linked to a host of clubs. Will be a shame to see him go since he’ll definitely be a 15/20 million (minimum) player in the future

Louder for people at the back:

Transfer expenditure has very little correlation with the success of a signing, especially at the level Rangers operate.

Drivel.

Maybe if you don’t do your due diligence and sign wasters like Grezda and Pena, but if we want to go to the next level, we need spend in this position.

For 4/5m and proper scouting, we should be able to get a player with a good chance of 12-14 goals a season and 8-10 assists.

The idea people think Gerrard is going into season 2, knowing what's needed and thinking "This is Scotland, I'll just get some kids up on loan" is so utterly boneheaded and dumb it makes my eyes bleed reading it
I know mate, he knows what we need ! he isnt thinking Jones and Stewart are going to take us to another level he just wants to sweep up what he can on the cheap to further help the squad because a lot of players will leave.

The 3 or 4 top players will come when the window opens but no matter what some people just choose to ignore this fact.

Nah, I understand that the scattergun approach of recent years isn’t what we need this summer.

I want our transfer policy to be slick and targeted rather than - ‘there’s a player, sign him!’

Weren’t you hoping for some investment in genuine quality in this position?

Did the transfer window close without me realising or have the board issued a statement to say we won’t be adding genuine quality?

Or is it because Ojo isn’t a regular starter for Liverpool it means he isn’t of genuine quality?

If Liverpool are offering him a 5 year deal they believe he is valuable asset and will probs make tens of millions on him after a successful spell with us.

All that matters now is 55 and I don’t care how the team is made up, as long as we get it.

Drivel.

Maybe if you don’t do your due diligence and sign wasters like Grezda and Pena, but if we want to go to the next level, we need spend in this position.

For 4/5m and proper scouting, we should be able to get a player with a good chance of 12-14 goals a season and 8-10 assists.

You mean like Scott Arfield ?

Did the transfer window close without me realising or have the board issued a statement to say we won’t be adding genuine quality?

Or is it because Ojo isn’t a regular starter for Liverpool it means he isn’t of genuine quality?

If Liverpool are offering him a 5 year deal they believe he is valuable asset and will probs make tens of millions on him after a successful spell with us.

All that matters now is 55 and I don’t care how the team is made up, as long as we get it.

With the bosmans brought in and this guy, there won’t be space for a wide forward in the summer.

We bring in this guy and he isn’t going to be sitting on the bench.

He gives us 12 goals and 10 assists then great. Big if.

No idea how true this is and no idea if the lads any good

But as an observation my thoughts are this

If he is taking Kents place you’d imagine he plays, so we are already top heavy on wingers so won’t sign anyone else

If Morelos doesn’t leave we don’t need another striker

So where are we planning on spending the budget?

Possibly decent amount on a no 10?

Left back will be covered by Barisic fee again if he goes

Just chewing the fat out loud and wondering

I don’t think we are far off a title winning side mate. I hope we sell Morelos, and good luck to him wherever he ends up. I would like all the budget blown on two or three quality additions. A CB, a creative midfielder and a CF.

We have a surplus of wingers if the lad comes. Presumably Middleton and maybe Hastie to go on loan?

You mean like Scott Arfield ?

Again another example of a poster bringing up an example of an isolated case.

Arfield is largely the exception.

I refer you to the multitude of cheap duds we have brought in.

Point is they are a risk. As Beale said, you bring in loans and bosmans then by their nature they have elements of their game that are incomplete.

We sell Morelos for circa 15m and we have a chance for serious reinvestment.

Infuriating that nobody is on board with this.

We have a surplus of wingers if the lad comes. Presumably Middleton and maybe Hastie to go on loan?

Hastie will get plenty of game time this season. I hope Middleton gets out on loan and gets a season under his belt of regular first team football.

Camacho doesn’t want to sign a new contract and he’s a free agent comes to summer. Whoever picks him up will pick up a very very good player. Seems like Klopp tried to convert him to a full back and he wasn’t happy with it and feels like he’s more of an attacking player. Been linked to a host of clubs. Will be a shame to see him go since he’ll definitely be a 15/20 million (minimum) player in the future

Sounds like we would be better trying to get Camacho on a permanent deal, especially if what you are saying doubting Ojo’s mentality is true

I don't get this. Why would Liverpool give a five year deal to a player who can't get a game at Reims? I know he's young but he's 21, not 16. How many players ever really step up at 24?

Truth is, if you're not in the first team by 21 or 22 you probably never will be.

Still happy to have the boy mind. :))

Because one good season will see him valued at over £10m when they sell him.

In fact, it doesn't even need to be a season if Solanke is anything to go by.

Point is they are a risk. As Beale said, you bring in loans and bosmans then by their nature they have elements of their game that are incomplete.

Thing is - there's not a huge difference between players at 1 or 2m and guys at 4 or 5m these days in the main. The way the bigger clubs have pushed up prices makes it much of a muchness.

There's no way to ever know how a player will do at Rangers until they get here. Spending a bit more isn't going to guarantee anything either.

Best to just wait and see how it goes. Judging in the moment rarely works.

Sounds like we would be better trying to get Camacho on a permanent deal, especially if what you are saying doubting Ojo’s mentality is true

Camacho is everything Ojo isn’t. Camacho has an eye for goal and he’s one that’ll look to get in behind and come short as well. The problem with Ojo is most times he wants to the ball to feet rather than running in behind. Camacho has been linked to the likes of lazio, ac Milan and wolves. He said he wants to go somewhere to be a first choice player so will be interesting to see where he goes

Going by the players we’ve been linked with or signed so far it doesn’t appear that we have a huge amount of money this summer. Still early days but I think our strategy might be dependant on Morelos leaving for a big fee to get that extra bit of quality in 2 or 3 key positions.

Another reminder the window opens on June 11th for anyone crying over the fact we haven't got a defender in yet, or a striker, or a number 10 etc etc

Because we are linked with a loan signing today some posters now think we have no money to spend, get a grip ! wait until the window is closed then cry and panic if you must.

Nah you're wrong mate. We're only signing Stewart and Jones and that's it. They're no getting us 55 and that. Gerrard oot.

Camacho is everything Ojo isn’t. Camacho has an eye for goal and he’s one that’ll look to get in behind and come short as well. The problem with Ojo is most times he wants to the ball to feet rather than running in behind. Camacho has been linked to the likes of lazio, ac Milan and wolves. He said he wants to go somewhere to be a first choice player so will be interesting to see where he goes
We should be in for him then sounds like a real money maker for us in the future

Just a No from me. Ojo might be a Kent but more likely an Ejeria, Coulibaly or worse still Sadiq. He was at Rennes and couldn't get game time so wow, he can walk into our starting 11 (as I'm sure his loan will be similar to Kent & Ejaria that we pay stiff penalties if they did not play). I want to win 55 next season and therefore we require experience and quality signings, not a youngster trying to prove himself, especially when you consider just how many wide players we already have at the club.
You do realise Kent hardly set the heather alight at Bristol City?

Young players are generally inconsistent and there are plenty examples of great players who have had bad loan spells in the past.

Ojo may be another Kent or he may be another Sadiq - no one really knows at this point, but I trust in Gerrard and his judgement. He'll be better equipped to know which youngsters have the tools to make it here after the experiences with Ejaria, Sadiq and also Kent.

The reality is that our future will involve supplementing our permanent squad members with loan players and the key is finding the best available, as opposed to ignoring a viable market

Going by the players we’ve been linked with or signed so far it doesn’t appear that we have a huge amount of money this summer. Still early days but I think our strategy might be dependant on Morelos leaving for a big fee to get that extra bit of quality in 2 or 3 key positions.

do you know how a transfer windows operates sir?

Drivel.

It's not drivel, it bears out in the data. Even in the English Premier League.

The fact that we have more Bosmans than they do, plus spend less on elite players, means the correlation is even stronger.

Consider our permanent signings for the previous seasons (using Transfermarkt as the source for fees paid):
18/19:
Goldson: 3m
Barisic: 2.2m
Katic: 2m
Grezda: 1.8m
Murphy: 1m
Lafferty: 450k
McGregor: Free
Arfield: Free
Flanagan: Free
Davis: Initial loan, now Free

The success rate for players who cost us money: 2 or 3 (depending on how you class Murphy as a success) out of 6.

The free transfer success rate: 3 or 4 out of 4, depending on your view on Flanagan.

Haven't included Glenn Kamara in either category because he was a free that then signed for cash, but again he only cost 50 grand.

Won't list the players, but for 17/18 it's a similar story.
Players who cost transfer money: 2/8 (3/8 if Docherty comes good)
Free transfers: 1/2

For 16/17:
Players who cost money: 0/3 (Garner, Hodson and Alnwick)
Free transfers: 2/9 (Hill and Windass) (God that was a terrible couple of transfer windows).

So, in total that's a success rate over the last few years:
Players we spent a transfer fee on: 4 or 5 out of 17
Players we got for free: 6 or 7 out of 15.

I don't get this. Why would Liverpool give a five year deal to a player who can't get a game at Reims? I know he's young but he's 21, not 16. How many players ever really step up at 24?

Truth is, if you're not in the first team by 21 or 22 you probably never will be.

Still happy to have the boy mind. :))

Probably got glass legs like Ejaria

Has it been confirmed we're not selling Morelos ?

It's not drivel, it bears out in the data. Even in the English Premier League.

The fact that we have more Bosmans than they do, plus spend less on elite players, means the correlation is even stronger.

Consider our permanent signings for the previous seasons (using Transfermarkt as the source for fees paid):
18/19:
Goldson: 3m
Barisic: 2.2m
Katic: 2m
Grezda: 1.8m
Murphy: 1m
Lafferty: 450k
McGregor: Free
Arfield: Free
Flanagan: Free
Davis: Initial loan, now Free

The success rate for players who cost us money: 2 or 3 (depending on how you class Murphy as a success) out of 6.

The free transfer success rate: 3 or 4 out of 4, depending on your view on Flanagan.

Haven't included Glenn Kamara in either category because he was a free that then signed for cash, but again he only cost 50 grand.

Won't list the players, but for 17/18 it's a similar story.
Players who cost transfer money: 2/8 (3/8 if Docherty comes good)
Free transfers: 1/2

For 16/17:
Players who cost money: 0/3 (Garner, Hodson and Alnwick)
Free transfers: 2/9 (Hill and Windass) (God that was a terrible couple of transfer windows).

So, in total that's a success rate over the last few years:
Players we spent a transfer fee on: 4 or 5 out of 17
Players we got for free: 6 or 7 out of 15.

Fair points.

But to me a 4/5m is shopping in a different market from your 1/2m. In fact it obviously is.

The spread between a bosman and a 1/2m player carries more risk granted, but going into the market above you’re getting closer to bringing in genuine quality.

I've said all along - the Morelos money is absolutely critical to us having a decent budget to work with.

Last season's net spend was £5m - that needs to be increased. The Morelos money can help that.

Let's get the Morelos deal over the line asap and then we can get down to proper business.

Before Harry Wilson and Ben Woodburn, Sheyi Ojo was the one who was tipped for big things.

Mentioned him in the past and would have taken him last season when Gerrard first arrived. He's got better experience than Kent - although don't know how he got on at Reims?

Seen him with Fulham and Wolves. Would say he is similar to Kent in that he's quick, direct, like to cut inside. Plays either side, sure he's left footed and when Klopp came in he talked about adding a bit more intensity and physicality to his game. Final ball a bit raw.

He was linked with big moves away from Liverpool whilst playing with Fulham.

The boy looks as if he would score more goals than Ryan Kent, he looks like a natural finisher in front of goals.Something i think Ryan lacks just now.

Kent is hugely overrated on here. His output is still shocking for a creative attacking player.

Ojo would be a massive upgrade. He has a future at Liverpool whilst Kent doesn’t. That’s all you need to know. Fantastic business.

Anyone believing we would turn down £15m for Alfie or £8m for Tav is in a far happier place than me....and their drugs do work.
Exactly - we are in no position to turn that kind of money down. It would be financial suicide by the board if we did. These type of offers come in and the players are off. And to be honest I am comfortable with that. We HAVE to start building up our finances. This is the 'model' we have to work to.

Fair points.

But to me a 4/5m is shopping in a different market from your 1/2m. In fact it obviously is.

The spread between a bosman and a 1/2m player carries more risk granted, but going into the market above you’re getting closer to bringing in genuine quality.
Again, this dosen't really bear out in the data either. Since we haven't paid transfer fee's at that level for a long time, let's go ahead and use Celtic as an example, with, say, 3m+ being the supposedly better market, and 1-2m as the lesser quality market:
3m+
Edouard: Success
Ntcham: Jurys Out
Kouassi: Failure
Simunovic: Failure

So it's 1 or 2 out of 4, so between a 0.25 - 0.5 success ratio, but in truth the sample size is so small it's difficult to make any real determinations.

Our free transfer success ratio is between 0.4 - 0.46
Our paid transfer success ratio in the 1-2m market is between 0.23 - 0.29

Because the higher end market sample size is so small, you can't really draw any conclusions from it, but even if it did perform at the top end of expectations, where one in every two signings is a success, it's only marginally more successful than the free transfer market, and considerably less efficient when you consider the value that those transfer fees could find in the free transfer market.

Exactly - we are in no position to turn that kind of money down. It would be financial suicide by the board if we did. These type of offers come in and the layers are off. And to be honest I am comfortable with that. We HAVE to start building up our finances. This is the 'model' we have to work to.

Exactly. Too many fans think it's

"We have a new operating model and it will work. But surely we have to excuse wee Alfie and Tav...I love them, they have to stay"

"We have a new operating model and it will work. But surely we have to excuse wee Alfie and Tav...I love them, they have to stay"
Tav rightly should be excused if you're talking £8m, the guy is worth far more than that and even at £8m you'd struggle replacing him.

Again, this dosen't really bear out in the data either. Since we haven't paid transfer fee's at that level for a long time, let's go ahead and use Celtic as an example, with, say, 3m+ being the supposedly better market, and 1-2m as the lesser quality market:
3m+
Edouard: Success
Ntcham: Jurys Out
Kouassi: Failure
Simunovic: Failure

So it's 1 or 2 out of 4, so between a 0.25 - 0.5 success ratio, but in truth the sample size is so small it's difficult to make any real determinations.

Our free transfer success ratio is between 0.4 - 0.46
Our paid transfer success ratio in the 1-2m market is between 0.23 - 0.29

Because the higher end market sample size is so small, you can't really draw any conclusions from it, but even if it did perform at the top end of expectations, where one in every two signings is a success, it's only marginally more successful than the free transfer market, and considerably less efficient when you consider the value that those transfer fees could find in the free transfer market.

Edouard a success at £9m ? A goal record at less than 1 in 2 games ?

Morelos has one less this season than he has in two seasons

No idea how true this is and no idea if the lads any good

But as an observation my thoughts are this

If he is taking Kents place you’d imagine he plays, so we are already top heavy on wingers so won’t sign anyone else

If Morelos doesn’t leave we don’t need another striker

So where are we planning on spending the budget?

Possibly decent amount on a no 10?

Left back will be covered by Barisic fee again if he goes

Just chewing the fat out loud and wondering
We’d still need a right winger, no matter how top heavy we are there.

I actually want us to sell Alfie, because I can see the bigger picture financially. The money in is more important than the player at this stage in our cycle.

SG only had a net spend of £5m last season - we can't expect him to work with that every year. In the absence of any proper investment, our finances need building up and if we have to cash in on some of our assets then so be it. That's the way it HAS to be.

Last edited:
Kent is hugely overrated on here. His output is still shocking for a creative attacking player.

Ojo would be a massive upgrade. He has a future at Liverpool whilst Kent doesn’t. That’s all you need to know. Fantastic business.
Ojo does not have a future at Liverpool.

Utter nonsense - the boy delivers against Celtic. They're terrified of him.

Reactions: ZvP
I think its a disgrace that we are bringing in loan players like Ryan Kent and expecting them to deliver in the SPFL rant rave zzzzz

Edouard a success at £9m ? A goal record at less than 1 in 2 games ?

Morelos has one less this season than he has in two seasons
You can argue the toss on how you define success, but I put him down as one because he is their first choice striker, he does produce and they'll be able to sell him for a decent fee.

But in any case, the casting of doubt on whether Edouard was worth the outlay proves my point.

Yes he won the PFA young player award by accident.

Back