Sheyi Ojo to sign five-year deal at Liverpool before joining Rangers on loan

You can argue the toss on how you define success, but I put him down as one because he is their first choice striker, he does produce and they'll be able to sell him for a decent fee.

But in any case, the casting of doubt on whether Edouard was worth the outlay proves my point.

For £9m, Edouard doesn't deliver any where near enough. Lazy, lethargic and when well marshalled - a bit crap really.

Utter nonsense - the boy delivers against Celtic. They're terrified of him.

We play more teams than Celtic in a season.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he was one of our better players this year but he had inconsistent spells where he wasn’t up to the level he displayed in OF games.

You can argue the toss on how you define success, but I put him down as one because he is their first choice striker, he does produce and they'll be able to sell him for a decent fee.

But in any case, the casting of doubt on whether Edouard was worth the outlay proves my point.

He's their first choice striker because Dembele fúcked off and Griffiths is an absolute fúck up as a person.

How's that £2m new Didier Drogba they bought doing ? Kicked a ball yet ?

We play more teams than Celtic in a season.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he was one of our better players this year but he had inconsistent spells where he wasn’t up to the level he displayed in OF games.

Well yes, he's no Messi for sure.

Getting the better of the games V Celtic will go along way to us achieving silverware.

He's their first choice striker because Dembele fúcked off and Griffiths is an absolute fúck up as a person.

How's that £2m new Didier Drogba they bought doing ? Kicked a ball yet ?
Exactly. Dembele, who they spent £250k of a transfer fee on, was a much better and more valuable player to Celtic than Edouard ever will be.

Bayo, they spent £2m on and he's a total dud who can't stay fit.

Transfer expenditure does not equal a higher quality of player. Especially at our level. There can be no argument with this.

For £9m, Edouard doesn't deliver any where near enough. Lazy, lethargic and when well marshalled - a bit crap really.
Again, proves the point. Who would they have been better signing, Edouard for 9m plus his wages, or taking that money and putting it towards a two year deal for two top class Bosmans each on 50 grand a week?

It's an absolute no-brainer.

Exactly. Dembele, who they spent £250k of a transfer fee on, was a much better and more valuable player to Celtic than Edouard ever will be.

Bayo, they spent £2m on and he's a total dud who can't stay fit.

Transfer expenditure does not equal a higher quality of player. Especially at our level. There can be no argument with this.
Dembele was out of contract, hence the low fee.

Spurs had bid £5m for him beforehand.

So its not really valid in the argument about fees etc.
It's extremely pertinent to the point that I am making, which is that money we spend on transfer fees is generally wasted, because investing that money into wages for Bosmans would likely have a more productive outcome.

Folk who want us to spend eight figures on transfer fees this window need to recognise that it would not obtain optimum value.

It's extremely pertinent to the point that I am making, which is that money we spend on transfer fees is generally wasted, because investing that money into wages for Bosmans would likely have a more productive outcome.

Folk who want us to spend eight figures on transfer fees this window need to recognise that it would not obtain optimum value.

Are you suggesting we just stick with bosmans and loans?

I’m at a loss to understand what transfer policy you want us to pursue.

Would love to see your algorithm for bosmans more likely to be a “productive outcome” than spending fees.

If you solely looked at our last summer you’d be correct. But thats down to lazy/poor scouting at our club. Nothing else.

No idea how true this is and no idea if the lads any good

But as an observation my thoughts are this

If he is taking Kents place you’d imagine he plays, so we are already top heavy on wingers so won’t sign anyone else

If Morelos doesn’t leave we don’t need another striker

So where are we planning on spending the budget?

Possibly decent amount on a no 10?

Left back will be covered by Barisic fee again if he goes

Just chewing the fat out loud and wondering

A monster centre back hopefully.

So you didn’t want us signing the likes of McGregor, Davis, Boumsomg, Arfield, Prso etc because they were Bosmans and deemed not good enough in fantasy land? Or Kamara at 50k, he’s p*sh. Tav at £200k etc etc.

They money spent is irrelevant. It’s the value we get after they’ve signed in terms of performance or sell on fee that matters most.

Kent is hugely overrated on here. His output is still shocking for a creative attacking player.

Ojo would be a massive upgrade. He has a future at Liverpool whilst Kent doesn’t. That’s all you need to know. Fantastic business.

Bit if an exaggeration but your right Kent is brilliant at getting into countless great positions in a game and doesnt deliver the final ball/finish. Still a work in progress. If this guy can do both we should be happy.

Puzzled how we need a right winger
when we will have Candeias, Hastie and Stewart.
Because none of them are good enough to start right wing for us if we want to win the league.

Candeias - regressing with age, been a good servant but should only be considered backup now

Hastie - young boy with potential but not to be relied on or too much expected from in his first full season

Stewart - I thought he isn’t a right winger (according to folk who think he is a good player)? Nonetheless, not talented or good enough to be starting every week for a title winning side.

So you didn’t want us signing the likes of McGregor, Davis, Boumsomg, Arfield, Prso etc because they were Bosmans and deemed not good enough in fantasy land? Or Kamara at 50k, he’s p*sh. Tav at £200k etc etc.

They money spent is irrelevant. It’s the value we get after they’ve signed in terms of performance or sell on fee that matters most.
He clearly isn’t saying that though. Just that if you’re relying on solely bosmans/low fees its a bit of a dangerous game to be playing as the market you are shopping in will be much, much more limited.

Thats a fact.

Last year we managed to get Arfield & McGregor on bosmans, great. This year we could only get Jones/Hastie/Stewart on bosmans, not as great.

If we want to win the league significant money will need spent in a few positions. Kidding yourself on if you think otherwise.

No if the player can give us the return needed, we sign them.

If we want to finish second again, we stick with the same policy.

Look at our deficiencies this year. That’s what an over reliance on Bosmans and loans gets you.

We want to go to the next level we need to bring in genuine quality with end product. We ain’t getting it with loans and bosmans. Players you mentioned generally the exception.

A spend of 4/5m is needed in the forward positions or more inconsistency and struggling to break down teams when our core players are injured, is to be expected.

Would love to see your algorithm for bosmans more likely to be a “productive outcome” than spending fees.

If you solely looked at our last summer you’d be correct. But thats down to lazy/poor scouting at our club. Nothing else.
I've literally posted it in this thread.

It's also one of the core tenets of sabermetrics: finding value where other clubs do not. Celtic can outspend us, so we need to be smarter about how we spend our resources.

This is a real coup if we get him - extremely highly rated by Liverpool and their supporters and dare I say it, an upgrade on Kent...

The Guardian posted an article last night thats almost the exact same, but added in we were “interested”. Daily Star have said this morning we’re getting him. Most likely just early interest.

Very similar situation to Kent in that he was really highly rated, and higher than Kent at one point (not anymore I’d imagine), had a few failed loan spells & will be looking to get his confidence back up here.

Poor for us that Liverpool are signing him on a 5 year deal though. Thats purely to get a massive fee for him if we get the best out of him. No chance of us getting him.

Think there may be upsides to this. Last season we wanted Wilson but were given Kent. No disrespect to one of our best player this year, but that was a step down. Liverpool are being sensible, helping Gerrard out but not really giving their best.

We are not at all to blame for the Ejaria issues and gave him plenty of opportunities. Probably did toughen him up a bit. And Kent has been a massive success for us and for Liverpool in seeing his value rise.

We may now be a bit more trusted so they are willing to give us players from the next rung up and expect us to improve their value and/or bring them on to consideration for their first team.

I’d love to get Kent back because he is proven but, if we can’t because Liverpool want to cash in when his value is decent, then getting access to their next level up is some consolation.

I've literally posted it in this thread.

It's also one of the core tenets of sabermetrics: finding value where other clubs do not. Celtic can outspend us, so we need to be smarter about how we spend our resources.
What successful clubs only buy bosmans, out of interest?

I'm not saying we stick exclusively with Bosmans and loans, but I'm saying they should form the fundamental basis of our transfer business and we should only be spending transfer money in very rare cases, and we should probably cap it at a certain point. What that point is, I don't know, you'd have to research it to determine the optimum cap for our club. But eventually you just reach a point where you're throwing money away to get the same output you'd get from a player that costs far less.

Juve don’t only buy bosmans but they are very good at picking up players who are out of contract.

Exactly what we are doing but for our standard of league.

He clearly isn’t saying that though. Just that if you’re relying on solely bosmans/low fees its a bit of a dangerous game to be playing as the market you are shopping in will be much, much more limited.

Thats a fact.

Last year we managed to get Arfield & McGregor on bosmans, great. This year we could only get Jones/Hastie/Stewart on bosmans, not as great.

If we want to win the league significant money will need spent in a few positions. Kidding yourself on if you think otherwise.

It’s a nonsense. If all the players you require are available on Bosmans or loans then you get them in. Why spend if you don’t have to?

We didn’t finish second because we didn’t spend last season. We finished second because the squad was totally overhauled and it was our rookie manager’s first campaign as manager. All while up against a Celtic team who’ve had years and years of a head start, far superior finances and for the most part, a superior manager in Rodgers.

First, I am not advocating a situation where we ONLY buy Bosmans or loans, merely that we prioritise those signings and we only spend transfer fees in exceptionally rare circumstances where we feel the outlay is justified. We would also probably cap transfer fees at a certain level, but as I said before you'd need to research to determine where you'd cap it at.

Second, I'll repost what I said earlier:
It's also one of the core tenets of sabermetrics: finding value where other clubs do not.

If other clubs started to adopt the same strategy, then you would likely see diminishing value returning from this strategy.

Football clubs are run like terrible businesses. Smart and clever teams find inefficiencies in the market and exploit them. Bosmans are a market inefficiency because of the huge amount of money spent on transfer fees for equivalent (or in a lot of cases, inferior) players.

It’s a nonsense. If all the players you require are available on Bosmans or loans then you get them in. Why spend if you don’t have to?

We didn’t finish second because we didn’t spend last season. We finished second because the squad was totally overhauled and it was our rookie manager’s first campaign as manager. All while up against a Celtic team who’ve had years and years of a head start, far superior finances and for the most part, a superior manager in Rodgers.
If they are, yes. But thats rare, what successful clubs only sign bosmans? No matter how big, extensive & successful your scouting system is, you will not be able to get by targeting on bosmans.

Its a ridiculous dreamland you are living in.

What LW, RW, AM, LB & CB will we sign for free this summer out of interest? Following this model.

A winning one. That's all that matters.

I'd take 11 aliens on loan for next season if it guaranteed the title.

Accessing the CL windfall is critical to our future. Our revenues are miles below the mentally challengeds, our only way of competiting financially with them just now is selling assets and reinvesting.

No if the player can give us the return needed, we sign them.

If we want to finish second again, we stick with the same policy.

Look at our deficiencies this year. That’s what an over reliance on Bosmans and loans gets you.

We want to go to the next level we need to bring in genuine quality with end product. We ain’t getting it with loans and bosmans. Players you mentioned generally the exception.

A spend of 4/5m is needed in the forward positions or more inconsistency and struggling to break down teams when our core players are injured, is to be expected.

Morelos - £1 million bought us the leagues top scorer.
Arfield - Free and had a superb season
Davis - Free and dominated the midfield in every game once fit
Jack - Similar to Davis
Kamara - £50k a steal!
McGregor - Free
Tav - £200k and a fundamental part of our setup.
Kent - Loan and got young player of the year.

Etc etc. Our bargain basement shopping has been very successful overall and the model won’t change much. Where we have to spend, we will, ala Goldson but the majority of our signings from now on will not be multi-million pound purchases until we are back in the CL or have huge external investment.

If they are, yes. But thats rare, what successful clubs only sign bosmans? No matter how big, extensive & successful your scouting system is, you will not be able to get by targeting on bosmans.

Its a ridiculous dreamland you are living in.

What LW, RW, AM, LB & CB will we sign for free this summer out of interest? Following this model.

What ones will be buy and for how much?

Wee sidenot from the article above ... player out of contract at Liverpool at the end of the season:

Daniel Sturridge (29)
James Milner (33)
Connor Randall (23, RB)
Alberto Morena (26, LB)

Probably all on silly wages.

As for Sheyi Ojo, he`s been in France and for all the nifty goals and assists above, he played 19 games and has a goal and an assist to his name from that journey.

TM says he`s out of contract at the end of the season (the report above suggests that he is to sign a new deal), so who knows.

Seyi Ojo at TM

He could be another Ejaria, doing well in Europe and some Premiership games, but ultimately not built(up for this league. Or another Kent, who took his time but adapted and grabbed the chance he was given.

I`m not so sure whether we should lay too much weight on talented loanees this summers, guys who have to find their feet in the game AS WELL as at a club like Rangers and in our current hammerthrowing environment. Granted, most players will have to adapt to the demands at Ibrox and we still have quite a few in every position able to handle that. When we start looking for that extra bit of quality, I would hope it is "experienced" quality.

Juve don’t only buy bosmans but they are very good at picking up players who are out of contract.

Exactly what we are doing but for our standard of league.
They are good at signing bosmans, yep. And still spend massive amounts alongside the bosmans.

Last year they spent £235m, 17/18 £144m, 16/17 £167m, and so on.

Being able to get what you need with just bosmans would be fantastic. Imagine never having to spend much at all? Yeah, dreamland.

What?

You think we are able to get all our targets on bosmans. So who we signing for they positions?

I’ll quote myself where I said absolutely nothing like what you just made up.

Our bargain basement shopping has been very successful overall and the model won’t change much. Where we have to spend, we will, ala Goldson but the majority of our signings from now on will not be multi-million pound purchases until we are back in the CL or have huge external investment.

For some of your positions, we’ve already signed players in Jones, Hastie and Stewart. For others, we’ll need to wait and see what the club can uncover. I await your response we to what players we will sign for those positions and how much we are spending on each.

They are good at signing bosmans, yep. And still spend massive amounts alongside the bosmans.

Last year they spent £235m, 17/18 £144m, 16/17 £167m, and so on.

Being able to get what you need with just bosmans would be fantastic. Imagine never having to spend much at all? Yeah, dreamland.

And we spend what we can afford to spend. Anyone want to go back to 2012?

And we spend what we can afford to spend. Anyone want to go back to 2012?
I know we do, I’m not complaining about our spending in previous years. We spent a decent amount lasts summer, and the summer before. Sadly the scouting was poor.

I was replying to folk who think only bosmans is a model that could actually work.

I know we do, I’m not complaining about our spending in previous years. We spent a decent amount lasts summer, and the summer before. Sadly the scouting was poor.

I was replying to folk who think only bosmans is a model that could actually work.

Nobody is proposing this as a model.

I’ll quote myself where I said absolutely nothing like what you just made up.

For some of your positions, we’ve already signed players in Jones, Hastie and Stewart. For others, we’ll need to wait and see what the club can uncover. I await your response we to what players we will sign for those positions and how much we are spending on each.
If all the players you require are available on Bosmans or loans then you get them in. Why spend if you don’t have to?”

That just doesn’t happen, ever. Sadly.

The players you list, none are upgrades or good enough to start.

The poster who's taking a bit of stick about the bosmans, I can see where hes coming from. You could look at a list of out of contract EPL fringe players just now or Championship players and rather than investing millions on fees (plus wages) for gambles from abroad, you could invest in the wages of a bosman at a much lesser risk than your Grezdas, Barisics, Penas etc.

Because none of them are good enough to start right wing for us if we want to win the league.

Candeias - regressing with age, been a good servant but should only be considered backup now

Hastie - young boy with potential but not to be relied on or too much expected from in his first full season

Stewart - I thought he isn’t a right winger (according to folk who think he is a good player)? Nonetheless, not talented or good enough to be starting every week for a title winning side.
I agree with Candeias but other 2 should be given a chance now we have them.

The poster isn't advocating that, though.

Once upon a time a £5 million fee would - more often than not - ensure a quality addition. Nowadays it often means nothing due to the outlandish nature of the market.

Back