Shirt Sponsorship 2019/2020

Having 32 Red on the tops is not the worst thing provided the remuneration is suitable.

I have always thought that Man Utd’s tops look horrendous thanks to the Chevrolet logo.
In fairness some of them have been honking too. Liverpool have had probably some of the worst tops of the top sides in recent years.

I prefer v necks or rounded necks.

I know this is cloud cuckoo land thinking, however, I’d like to see us moving away from the sponsorship route and moving towards the promotion of non-profit and charity organisations on our shirts. I get that financially it’s likely a nonstarter, but the figures suggested from the 32RED deal are hardly outstanding. But as I said this is very unlikely to happen.

I know this is cloud cuckoo land thinking, however, I’d like to see us moving away from the sponsorship route and moving towards the promotion of non-profit and charity organisations on our shirts. I get that financially it’s likely a nonstarter, but the figures suggested from the 32RED deal are hardly outstanding. But as I said this is very unlikely to happen.
We need every penny we can get. I like the idea of working with charities but I think there are different ways to do it.

How about IMG then ?
Not the worst idea on paper, but what do we, as a club, bring to the table for them? At least with a tangible product like Pepsi, there's the fan base who would potentially drink it (look how many people drank McEwan's Lager back in the day solely because of their association with us. I remember my folks getting windows from CR Smith too when I was a kid because it was showing loyalty to our sponsor. The average bear, as a commodity, is not the target of IMG. Their events are usually outweigh these shores so we're not in the same country to be buying tickets, and their stars are already huge names.

It would be a charitable donation from AJ if they took any sort of sponsorship deal, and would be a loss maker for them.

I think a restaurant chain or similar which wants to make inroads in the UK market would gain business through association, especially with the Stevie Gerrard factor.

Not the worst idea on paper, but what do we, as a club, bring to the table for them? At least with a tangible product like Pepsi, there's the fan base who would potentially drink it (look how many people drank McEwan's Lager back in the day solely because of their association with us. I remember my folks getting windows from CR Smith too when I was a kid because it was showing loyalty to our sponsor. The average bear, as a commodity, is not the target of IMG. Their events are usually outweigh these shores so we're not in the same country to be buying tickets, and their stars are already huge names.

It would be a charitable donation from AJ if they took any sort of sponsorship deal, and would be a loss maker for them.

I think a restaurant chain or similar which wants to make inroads in the UK market would gain business through association, especially with the Stevie Gerrard factor.

How about Chammps Sports Bars then. Quite appropriate

I think there's scope to do plenty for charity, though as a preference I would like to see a limited edition top each year, possibly the result of a fan design contest, voted through the website, which benefits a different charity each year - say 5k tops, £50 each, that's 250k to a charity.

Could do Erskine, then a mental health one, Pride, dementia, autism, cancer whatever.

The PR alone would be worth it too. Big hearted bears.

How about Chammps Sports Bars then. Quite appropriate
I'm not actually the brand manager mate, I'm just a jabroni making suggestions on the internet about what I would look for and what we as a custom base for any potential sponsor could offer.

Though if I were to choose a sports bar I believe holders has two big things going for it (the wings and the brand recognition of course)

Better team, better players, bigger name players, back in European competition, Gerrard as manager and you tube views, TV figures much better with him.

Add to that AJ back involved and you’d like to think we will be getting a much, much better deal.

Absolute hippy.

We won’t have a multi national company sponsoring us. We’re from a footballing backwater

• 32 Red
  • Blackthorne
  • Tennents
  • Carling
  • NTL
  • McEwans
  • CR Smith

That’s the level we’re at. Even with CL football we’ve never had a massive sponsor
This is reality. Pepsi and Coca-Cola aren't interested in having their logo whilst we are skudding about grounds like St Mirren Park and the Toni Macaroni Arena.

We will massively improve this deal as our current one is pathetic.

We get 250k a season plus modest cup progression bonuses. They get the shirt, some pitch side advertising and a spot on the website in return. They also get a large number of sponsor tickets which they never really take up apart from the last OF which caught us out and caused the club to scramble for spares for them.

This was told to me by a Kindred Group employee in The Bridge bar in Ocean Village in Gibraltar.
That is nonsense

In a a ideal world we promote the top British or Scottish companies (if there’s any left) for the top £££

But the £ talks so we’ll take the highest bidder

Wow Barry. Just wow.

Should be looking for a main shirt sponsor and then a sleeve sponsor and a back of the neck sponsor which we have currently. More sponsors = more money.

As long as it's not tacky, and looks good on the shirt, then I'm not too bothered. The 32Red logo is quite clean and unobtrusive, so I'm quite happy to carry on with them. The Blackthorn logo looked absolutely shite, but it meant we could get my dad his first Rangers top for his 50th because that's his bevvy of choice.

Ideally we make the most about being one of the most successful clubs in the world + with Steven Gerrard as our manager it should be attractive for some of the big Asian corporations who like to associate themselves with prestige and success so we should be thinking big.
In reality our manager is bigger globally brand wise than our club. That's an opportunity for us as a brand to work with.

Standard Chartered is great as they have branches all over the world and the Liverpool association gets pushed everywhere by them so even though they are sponsoring that club they are working it through their marketing channels globally.

Even JD are massive globally. Its a shame how the retail deal has been hamstrung for this opportunity brand wise to be exploited properly

Can't we get lots of sponsors on it like the French tops?

More sponsors = more.momey

This should be open to all clubs. I think at the moment it's limited in Scotland to two sponsors. Should be allowed as many as you want considering the clubs aren't exactly well off.

Multiple sponsors is tacky and lame. The Everton shirt with bloody Angry Birds on the sleeve looks utterly tragic. I wouldn’t want that anywhere near a Rangers jersey
Agreed mate. One shirt sponsor - two max. Don't want our jersey clutterd up like f.uck with all sorts of shite.

Yep the Angry Birds one looks awful - and Arsenal have 'Visit Rwanda' on their sleeves. Horrendous !!
For the relative pittance we'd receive it's not worth destroying the blue jersey.

McGill's... ? ;)

Guinness mentioned above is an interesting one - not sure it's a "global" brand as such but it does seem to be sold just about everywhere!

Obviously we will need to try and maximise the opportunity here so I hope we have the right person and/or agency involved in getting us the best financial deal possible. A bonus would be to have lettering only on the shirt - not a horrendous logo - for example Chang beer on the Everton shirt.

Multiple sponsors is tacky and lame. The Everton shirt with bloody Angry Birds on the sleeve looks utterly tragic. I wouldn’t want that anywhere near a Rangers jersey

Man Utd had Tinder on their sleeves for a preseason tournament.

McGill's... ? ;)

Guinness mentioned above is an interesting one - not sure it's a "global" brand as such but it does seem to be sold just about everywhere!

Obviously we will need to try and maximise the opportunity here so I hope we have the right person and/or agency involved in getting us the best financial deal possible. A bonus would be to have lettering only on the shirt - not a horrendous logo - for example Chang beer on the Everton shirt.
I'd say it's a Global brand, It's sold in 150 countries World wide and brewed in 49.

Was it not that donkey steedman that negotiated our last sponsorship deal? And he was given his jotters for a long list of %^*& ups like this?

As OP stated we’ve been a good run in Europe and have a global icon as our manager and should be making decent money from sponsorship If the suggested 250k is accurate steedman should be publicly caned at half time on Saturday.

We have a manager who is followed by over 6m on social media. We have Defoe who has around 1.5 m on Twitter and Instagram. We have an upcoming American player not to mention Alfredo. We need to think big here. There's money out there.

Emirates has no sponsorship in Scotland and yet has a decent airline presence to the UAE. They would be astounded to know what they could get this brand for. They are paying hundreds of million on Real, PSG and the Arsenil Stadium. We are talking maybe half a billion. £10m is a 50th of that. Are we not more than a 50th of that brand value globally?

We won’t have a multi national company sponsoring us. We’re from a footballing backwater

• 32 Red
  • Blackthorne
  • Tennents
  • Carling
  • NTL
  • McEwans
  • CR Smith

That’s the level we’re at. Even with CL football we’ve never had a massive sponsor

True. But don't underestimate the Gerrard factor. If ever there was a chance to significantly grow our sponsorship revenue, then now is the moment.

Back