Shooting from distance

Really frustrates me with Arfield in particular- he gets in great spaces, and the play opens up to have a shot, but he’ll pass the buck almost every time.
He’s not bad, but he’s not brave enough for us...
When he does shoot he is woeful probably why he passes.

Agreed it's something I want to see more of.
Of course it's easier said than done, but it's an element we have been missing for some time.

Mc gregor from the scum has scored 2 deflected goals from outside the box in recent weeks. Albeit one came off eduards hand. Our guys look scared to shoot esp davis and kamara

We CONSTANTLY play it across the park around the opposition box.

Left to right or right to left - and it’s as if every player who’s in that line of players MUST receive a pass to while going from one side to the other.

It’s so predictable.

I know teams sit in against us, and we’re looking and probing for an opening, but try something different. Have a shot at goal.

Look at Sunday. Boyce hit a shot with his “wrong” foot and it took a deflection and ended up on the net.

It’s partly the crowd, at Ibrox anyway.

Try a ping from 25 yards that misses and it’s all moaning and groaning.

We can't just continually blame any kind of deficiency or issue the team has on the supporters. It's the same as it's always been and we've won titles and had players who would do these things in the past despite the moans and groans of the crowd.

If the players have aspirations to win titles and trophies at Ibrox, then coping with that pressure is part and parcel of what every successful Rangers team has managed to handle.

It's not like not shooting means any less moaning and groaning anyway.

Shooting from distance draws out defenders; if teams know we don't shoot from distance they pack the box and we'll never get balls into the forwards in a crowded area. Start shooting from distance too and we'll either score more from outside or there will be more space to score from inside.
Agree with this, our opponents flood the box - striking from distance at a packed box can easily result in a deflected goal or the ball breaking to one of our players in a favourable position. How many deflected goals have we scored vs the number scored against us...

I would like to see this attempted more often.
Currently I feel that we try to hard to play wonderful football and pass it into the net when a pair of laces through the ball a few passes before may have resulted In a goal.

Do we have the players capable of this?

I feel that arfield and jack should be trying their luck more often.
Arfield? He's terrible at shooting.

Steven Gerrard was one of the best for shots on target from outside the box.

This lot look sh!t scared to have a shot when they get the ball in shooting positions.

As we are often confronted with packed defences it must be a useful tactic to shoot from long range in case you get a deflection or a rebound for a tap in. I just don't get why we don't do it more.
It also gives the opposition more to think about as they have to decide whether to try and close down the attacker or stay back. Because we don't mix things up and try and walk the ball into the net, the opposition defenders do not have a decision to make.

Excellent point regarding the rebounds.
Yes, but to get the rebound from the keeper any shot has got to get over or through nine players plus be on target and still have the power to allow the goalkeeper to spill.
This isn’t just the nine dustbins adage here.
More like nine dustbins tied to a partner once you consider that they can stretch around three feet wide of their standing position.
Imagine how that looks at ground level.
Imagine the lack of vision in front of you.
You can hardly see the goal, well, the posts.

Last edited:
Look at how many goals are scored by the Ceptic from deflected shots and we only have to look back to the goal we lost on Sunday.
There is a major difference here.
The shot was from about twelve to fifteen yards.
This is a distance even I have been critical of players for not shooting from.

It’s partly the crowd, at Ibrox anyway.

Try a ping from 25 yards that misses and it’s all moaning and groaning.
If a professional footballer can't get the shot on target and it screams yards over the bar, yes. But not if it works the keeper.
What really gets folk moaning and groaning is endless rounds of pass the parcel and 'after you, Claude'.

Quite a few games I've been waiting on a player to pull the trigger only for them to go for a pass and try and walk it into the net

This isnt a dig but Id like to see aribo take 1 less touch everytime hes in a dangerous position. Hes been guilty of 1 touch too many and it allows the defender time to get a last minute tackle in. The midfield want to play through the eye of a needle at times and that might be easy on the eye but the long shot option would be better in some situations, ryan jack has proved he can hit the taget from outside the box

Since Pedro Mendes, we haven’t really had anyone remotely capable of scoring from distance.

To be fair our home support don’t help matters, scream for a shot when within 30 yards, player has a go, misses and gets poisonous abuse for being a useless basturt.

We seemed to be doing it more at the start of the season and it's tailed off a bit for some reason, think of Jack's goals

If a professional footballer can't get the shot on target and it screams yards over the bar, yes. But not if it works the keeper.
What really gets folk moaning and groaning is endless rounds of pass the parcel and 'after you, Claude'.

Almost can’t win - but as has been mentioned, the amount of goals you’d get from rebounds if you just work the goalie would be worth it.

Against St Mirren we had a good few shots outside the box. None of them got close to even troubling the keeper.

Think some people think they just dont happen because they didn't result in goals or saves from the keeper

Totally agree,even more so when Defoe is playing because he comes alive in penalty box to pick up 2nd balls from keeper or deflections

A big component in Celtics arsenal in recent years has been when teams camp in they can have Rogic for instance hitting a long range effort. That knowledge makes defenders close down more. Opening up gaps for players to move into.
Teams know we can’t and won’t do it, so they know if they defend the penalty box they will limit our chances severely

Need to look at this in training and start to at least get them on target we just seem to pass the ball from side to side then lose it or pass it back.

Would love to see us shooting more from a distance, sometimes when in shooting distance we start passing the ball around and end back in our own half.

other than jack i dont think we try this enough
we always try the perfect passing goal
with SG the manager surely this something done in training

All for it 'if' accurate.

The Resenbrink thread made me think of the Dutch 70's side.

Even with Cruyff up front they fired away from distance.

Apart from the goals, it made extra space for the strikers as the shooter was closed down, with always the chance of a rebound off the keeper.

I think Defoe would benefit more than Alfredo, and unless we try, who knows if the midfield can crack them on target.

Playing constantly across the oppositions box allows them to regroup and pack the area. We offer no surprises as I'm sure the other teams are very aware we tend to not have a pop. I don't get the reasoning behind our lack of shooting. Confidence, surely not lack of ability? Need to start having a pop as packed defences lead to deflections and rebounds.

What frustrates me is when we do shoot we constantly balloon it over the bar, how hard is it to at least get over the ball instead of leaning back and sending it miles over. If it’s on target the Keeper might save it or send it back into the danger area.

Shooting accurately from distance is a skill like any other. If we don’t have players who are good at it the fact that our manager was brilliant at it throughout his career is irrelevant.
It's not really, I'd expect our manager to recognise this gap in our goal threat precisely because of his own proficiency in doing just that. We must have someone, indeed several, in the squad that can strike a mean ball during open play and who can be coached to seize the opportunity when it presents itself.

Hopefully someone at Ibrox is reading this thread.
:)

Jacks shots from outside the box are usually terrible. I know he’s scored a few this season, but he struggles to get any pace on them.

Jacks shots from outside the box are usually terrible. I know he’s scored a few this season, but he struggles to get any pace on them.
They all seem to need coaching and practice on this. Get Colin Stein in to help or even old film of Denis Law who knew how to shoot and keep the ball low.

Back