Shooting from distance

Gazza 8

Official Ticketer
I think a central midfielder that's a threat from outside the box has to be a priority this summer.

We'll win the league this season but every team has to adapt & improve and I reckon that's an area of the team that could take us up another level or 2 if we get the right player.

Davis & Kamara keep the ball for fun but both have the long range shooting prowess of a 14 year old boy.. it's just not their game at all.

The amount of times Davis, Kamara & Aribo had the chance to get a shot away but tried the cute threaded pass was ridiculous today.

It would also take away the sometimes over reliance of Borna & Tav to deliver inch perfect crosses to break teams down.

It's something that needs addressed in my opinion.

Agreed, it's not part of our current CM game, we need a bit of variety, someone whose first instinct is get a shot away if possible, rather than try a pass

Yep. All our midfielders have no natural instinct to shoot when in great positions. When you watch them though, you maybe understand why they are reluctant.

I'm not sure it's as easy to just shoot as some posters are making out.

For a start what we see on TV is completely different from what the players see on the park. Second there is usually 10 players in the box, the chances you get a shot though enough players to get on target on so small. Yeah you might get a deflection but you are more than likely going to end up with a skied shot, blocked and cleared shot resulting in more wasted time.

What makes it even more frustrating is our manager was one of the best long distance scorers around,it would be hard to believe if he's not telling them to shoot

Someone who isn’t afraid to shoot every now and then and can fair hit a dig is what we need as a midfield option, the way Charlie Adam used to be.

Our midfielders are programmed to keep possession, it's a frustrating part of our play. Have a pop now and again.

Davis, Aribo and Kamara when they do actually shoot are doing well to get it near the target. Neither of them can strike a ball cleanly.

I agree that we need a midfield player to improve and if they’ve a great shot from distance then that’s great. I didn’t see all these great shooting opportunities today though. I saw them go man for man in and around the box and our players have 15-20 players between them and the goal.

We could have had a dig 10 times and would have lucky to get one on target. The likelihood of that being a goal is even lower. We actually did the right thing tactically today and the thing that worked against their block last month. Patiently moved the ball around and tried to create gaps and overloads. We just didn’t quite have the quality to prise them open. Don’t think a bobbly pitch helped us with that either.

Some of the long range shooting on display wasn't great, I think the worst example was Kamara's effort that went so high it almost went out the stadium.

We saw from inside 10 yards that Aribo's shooing was lacking. We saw from 20/25 yards that Kamara doesn't strike a ball very well. Kent struck one from the edge of the area and it was a pass back. Aribo had an effort that would have been a simple catch for Kelly had it not deflected for a corner. Tavernier sclaffed a half volley. Goldson made space for himself and hit it down the guts of the keeper - he should have more efforts at goal as he's got the ability to hit the target.

Davis had very few occassions in the second half where he had a sight at goal, hence the ball wide.

I'd love a midfielder that gets about the park, can go box to box and strike a ball. Similar to Arfield but with a better dig at goal.

I understand we have no reason to complain the way things have panned out this season but the number of crosses put into the box ( i believe it was over 40) only to be cleared was very frustrating.
Not the first time this season either.

Was screaming for goldson to have a pop today

The amount of times he was 22 or so yards away with no one around him was frightening
I was the same, shouting...mainly because the incessant crosses from the wings were doing little damage.

That’s exactly what I was saying today, we need someone who’s going to have a pop when they have space at the edge of the box.

Nothing lost today but we never worked their keeper hard enough this afternoon.

The annoying thing is we went through a period of doing this - remember Aribo’s deflected goals, Kamara‘s against Benfica - the talent is there. Most frustrating for me though is Kent - what has happened to his shooting boots? Cuts inside these days and it’s a trundler into the keepers arms.

I think a central midfielder that's a threat from outside the box has to be a priority this summer.

We'll win the league this season but every team has to adapt & improve and I reckon that's an area of the team that could take us up another level or 2 if we get the right player.

Davis & Kamara keep the ball for fun but both have the long range shooting prowess of a 14 year old boy.. it's just not their game at all.

The amount of times Davis, Kamara & Aribo had the chance to get a shot away but tried the cute threaded pass was ridiculous today.

It would also take away the sometimes over reliance of Borna & Tav to deliver inch perfect crosses to break teams down.

This all day!

Probably won’t go down well on here, but if we signed Charlie Adam as a plan B player when all other options were not working. Think about his shooting ability and the way having a player like him on the pitch would draw out defences and create more space. Not as a starter obviously, but an option to call upon late on in games if we’re struggling. Short term only.

I counted 5 or 6 times today shouting at the TV, Shoot, we are so reluctant to have a pop from outside the box, with 11 motherwell players in the box anything can happen.

Probably won’t go down well on here, but if we signed Charlie Adam as a plan B player when all other options were not working. Think about his shooting ability and the way having a player like him on the pitch would draw out defences and create more space. Not as a starter obviously, but an option to call upon late on in games if we’re struggling. Short term only.
Your first 7 words nailed it

Some of the long range shooting on display wasn't great, I think the worst example was Kamara's effort that went so high it almost went out the stadium.
That was in the first half? If its the one I'm thinking of i actually cringed seeing it go that high.

We always try and walk the ball into the net.

We saw from inside 10 yards that Aribo's shooing was lacking. We saw from 20/25 yards that Kamara doesn't strike a ball very well. Kent struck one from the edge of the area and it was a pass back. Aribo had an effort that would have been a simple catch for Kelly had it not deflected for a corner. Tavernier sclaffed a half volley. Goldson made space for himself and hit it down the guts of the keeper - he should have more efforts at goal as he's got the ability to hit the target.

Davis had very few occassions in the second half where he had a sight at goal, hence the ball wide.

I'd love a midfielder that gets about the park, can go box to box and strike a ball. Similar to Arfield but with a better dig at goal.
You can see where we're missing Arfield when the box is busy the late runs causes problems that no other player seems capable of imo, today was frustrating but onwards and upward.
Motherwell played a clever triangle out on the left when defending that hindered Barisic and Kent considerably the day.

Anyone who's played 11 a side football knows you cant shoot from distance if the 25 yards between your foot and the goal is packed with a minimum of 10 players.
Correct, plus our midfield don’t have players with the skill set do do that anyway.

100% has been the case for a few year now . A player similar in style to the gaffer would do very nicely . Someone who can carry the ball a powerful runner with a good dig on them

Teams know how we play, everyone does. We started to go more direct start of season which gave us a different option.

So now a slight change should be introduced like shoot anywhere around the box. Look at Hagi against st Johnston shoot keeper saves, roofe follows in for tap in. Plus Hagi goal same game.

Far too many pass pass pass start mixing it up.

Not making excuse, BUT, the teams we play usually load the box / have 9 or ten men behind the ball.

There’s not always gaps, and if you wast 1 second you’re closed down.

There’s plenty of ball 20-25 yards out, but I’d bet 70% or more of the time there’s not a clear shot on goal to be had.

Better trying to get fouls for Tav & Borna.

I agree even if the box is full of their defenders there is always the chance of a deflection or the opportunity to pick up the second ball.

I'm not sure it's as easy to just shoot as some posters are making out.

For a start what we see on TV is completely different from what the players see on the park. Second there is usually 10 players in the box, the chances you get a shot though enough players to get on target on so small. Yeah you might get a deflection but you are more than likely going to end up with a skied shot, blocked and cleared shot resulting in more wasted time.
Go for the top corner, there were in all honesty plenty of chances to shoot today that we were to slow on.

If the opposition know you will not shoot from outside the box they can safely stay ’at home’ knowing you won’t shoot and obviously won’t threaten their goal. If you shoot from 25yards inward they have to judge whether your shots might be a threat. If they judge the probability of you scoring from a shot is greater than trying to accomplish a Xavi-Iniesta-Messi-esque goal then then will move out to challenge leaving gaps in their shield that you might exploit.

I recall Hibs had a player, but I can’t remember his name (was it Ketsbia or was it a full back?), who hit his first shot toward the Copland and nearly uprooted the corner flag. Ten minutes later he tried again and it went less than a yard past the goals. Ten minutes later, yep, it screamed into the top corner (past Goram I think but might have been Klos). Lesson; don’t try you don’t get and, as Gary Player famously said, ‘the more I practice the better I get’. The learning; when you’re within 25 yards hit the ball. I’ll accept a deflected goal, a corner or even drawing a defender out to leave a space to play such as Jermaine Defoe in.

With Stevie G and Gary Mac, surely we work on this stuff every week. Not evident on the pitch mind you.
Think back to Gary Mac scoring against us for Leeds. If he didn’t shoot because the box was full of players he wouldn’t have tried a shot. Unfortunately he did and silenced Ibrox instantly.

That was one eerie silence but happily it didn’t last long.

They've been better at it in recent games but today reminded me of last season.
Endlessly working it from side before looping over a cross that was well defended.
Davis, Kamara and Aribo need to have a dig now and again.
They aren't natural goal scorers, but the ball could take a deflection and anything could happen, plus it breaks up the predictability of going wide with the cross.

Back