Shooting From Outside The Box

Portals_Bear_Blue

Can guarantee I’m not the only one in thinking this….

why oh why do we never have a pop at goal from outside the box?

Steven Gerrard must be one of if not the best of all time at shooting from range and this team don’t seem to want to do that.

Ball falls nicely and they always seem to want to take a touch and look to play another pass.

We’re so predictable to watch these days, play the ball wide and put in a cross.

Who can actually shoot from outside the box in our team though? Tav yes.

You seen what happened when Davis and Kamara tried to shoot tonight. Kent usually ends up in row z as well. Sakalas shot has just settled in to an orbit around earth.

We recently have this obsession of wanting to go wide to continually cross it in..
Decent teams will suss us out.
I would just like to see us mixing it up a little.

Steven Gerrard must be one of if not the best of all time at shooting from range and this team don’t seem to want to do that.

Ball falls nicely and they always seem to want to take a touch and look to play another pass.

We’re so predictable to watch these days, play the ball wide and put in a cross.
Sickened with it now. The chance for Aribo where he took another touch when the shot was on. No wonder Gerrard took him off seconds later.

Sickened with it now. The chance for Aribo where he took another touch when the shot was on. No wonder Gerrard took him off seconds later.
100% but but if I’m Gerrard I’m telling my players in trading that if you have a sight at goal have a pop.

right now we’re boring as fvck to watch and we need to up our game Pronto

We definitely don’t do this enough, plus we don’t really have the players in midfield that can hit a decent dig!

Kent hit one when it wasn't on and they broke resulting in Goldson's booking.
Lundstrum was unlucky with one that just went wide, its fine lines I guess.

Shooting from outside the box is far easier when there aren’t 18 guys in the box. I think we need to understand why football tactics are what they are now.

This has been my mantra for years now and its getting really frustrating, as MrStruth said above, Aribos' extra touches and his reluctance to shoot (he's not the only one btw) boils my piss.

You'd think that Gerrard and McAllister, who were two of the best at shooting outside the box, would be screaming at them to have a dig...I know I do.

Our midfield three tonight were all holding mids who barely got 30 yards from goal all night. Even if they did get up there only lundsrum looks capable of hitting a ball.

It’s the same stuff that comes up over the Gerrard years when we are going through a bad spell. Scared to shoot, shaky defending, safe cautious passing, taking 5/6/7 touches. All absolutely bang on.

We are miles off and this spell reminds me of the tail end of the Covid cut season.

Folk have had three heads in the sand so far this year.

Lundstram had the chance to strike it early but took an extra touch and played it out wide right. He had another opportunity to get a shot off early but clearly wasn’t comfortable of hitting it with his right foot. By the time we moved it on to his left he had been closed down and his effort went wide of the post.

The 25 yard shooting opportunity played 40 yards wide to be crossed in is baffling tbh, Aribo ended up getting booked last night with a clear shot at goal infront of him

Pretty sure he had 3 Lyon players running at him to block any potential shot that he could get away.

We were saying this at half time, why not go long a bit more often as morelos or Kent were looking likely to win something. The reluctance to shoot from the edge of the box is criminal

Don't dare post such a sensible post :D

What is the point in hammering a shot into a ruck of players when it will likely be blocked and a potential break can occur. As for the Lundstrum one, he was never getting the shot away on his right so checked onto his left and made a wee bit of space for himself.

I hardly think the players are going to ignore the factors just so the crowd can see a blast at goal blocked to get roused.

Recording, Play/Rewind, Play/Rewind, Play/Rewind, we all say it management don’t see it, if a goal comes from a deflection, it’s Sill a Goal!

Aribo had about 3 opportunities to hit it and refused
Got a booking after he didn't do so as well. Haven't seen it again so the yellow was debatable. If he'd have got a shot off before he wouldn't have been trying to win the ba back though. So frustrating.

Why would you shoot at goal with 4 defenders and the goalie in front of you and there's a team mate who has
I'm not saying that we need a Ryan Christie style shoot from anywhere in the opposition half.
But there was occasions last night that we had shooting opportunities that we didn't go for, in a congested box there's always a chance of a detection.
Likewise going wide and crossing into 2 attackers v 4 defenders isn't nesseccarily going to be anymore of a success

Why would you shoot at goal with 4 defenders and the goalie in front of you and there's a team mate who has space close by?

If you don't shoot, you don't score.

Continuing to try work it wide and get the ball in the box, when we often have 1 man in there against 3 defenders is pretty frustrating.

If you don't shoot, you don't score.

Continuing to try work it wide and get the ball in the box, when we often have 1 man in there against 3 defenders is pretty frustrating.
I get the don't shoot, don't score idea and yes it's frustrating.

My point is that if a player knows he's going to hit the wall of players with a shot then it's pointless.

Anyway......look at the row Z efforts when some of our players did shoot from outside the box last night... :eek:

I haven't been on the forum that long but I've being saying it for over a year now.
A top pro should be able to fire it from outside the box and at least hit the target.
This 100%

Even in PRIMARY school I remember spending hours and hours shooting from distance with even my weaker foot. There is absolutely no excuse for any top level pro not to be able to cleanly hit a shot first time on either foot, and at least be hitting the target more often than not.

It's not even so much that we are shot shy, it's actually baffling how bad a consistent proper strike majority of our players all have from distance - which in turn I think makes them take a touch when opportunity to put the foot through arrives.

None of our midfielders are what you'd call a goal threat. They are all good passers and good technical players but none of them drive forward and shoot from distance (except Hagi possibly).

Maybe it's formation and maybe it's not asked of them by the coaching staff but it is something that needs to be addressed in the near future.

We definitely don’t do this enough, plus we don’t really have the players in midfield that can hit a decent dig!
you watched the drills before each game m8 .the shooting 1 that is ...I say constantly we ain't taking it into the matvhes

Back