Shooting from outside the Penalty Area

Adam55

Official Ticketer
We’ve now scored 10 goals in our last 2 league games. I can’t remember all of the goals but I know we’ve scored a couple of goals from outside the box in these 2 games.

In the match vs Ross County yesterday, we had 20 shots altogether, scoring 4 goals (12 inside the box & 8 outside the box). In the match vs Motherwell, we had 30 shots altogether, scoring 6 goals (20 inside the box & 10 outside the box).

In comparison, in the 2-2 match vs Aberdeen, we had just 1 shot from outside the box. And in the match vs St Mirren we only had 3 shots from outside the box.

Basically my point is that we’re scoring more goals against teams when we don’t try to walk the ball into the net. On a side note, thought Ryan Kent was superb yesterday and changed the game vs Brondby when he came on. Welcome back!

The shooting from distance has been a bit refreshing. The constant trying to walk the ball into the back of the net was frustrating.

People like Aribo who have the ability to curl one top corner opting for a pass through the defence which just goes out for a goal kick etc

So it's nice to see the digs being taken cause anything can happen with deflections, like Sakala's 2nd goal against Motherwell.

You can't score goals if you don't take a shot - we seemed to have forgotten that in large chunks of play. Choosing to try and play the ball into the net even when there were no players in the box to play it to. We've started hitting it when the chances arise and who knew, we're getting more goals.

Long may it continue.

Shooting from outside the box draws players towards us as well. Opens a bit of space between the usual 2 lines of defence.

Agree 100%, we’ve squandered lots of good shooting opportunities in the past by continually trying to walk the ball into the net. Very frustrating to watch, but at least the penny has finally dropped it seems.

We’ve now scored 10 goals in our last 2 league games. I can’t remember all of the goals but I know we’ve scored a couple of goals from outside the box in these 2 games.

In the match vs Ross County yesterday, we had 20 shots altogether, scoring 4 goals (12 inside the box & 8 outside the box). In the match vs Motherwell, we had 30 shots altogether, scoring 6 goals (20 inside the box & 10 outside the box).

In comparison, in the 2-2 match vs Aberdeen, we had just 1 shot from outside the box. And in the match vs St Mirren we only had 3 shots from outside the box.

Basically my point is that we’re scoring more goals against teams when we don’t try to walk the ball into the net. On a side note, thought Ryan Kent was superb yesterday and changed the game vs Brondby when he came on. Welcome back!

Can I ask if this includes blocked shots? We've had a high number of those in recent games, and many of them have come from outside the box.

Hitting shots from outside the box also puts it into the opponents mind that we will try it more often and they’ll move a body out to try block it potentially leading to more space in the defence.

All a bit ironic when managed by a guy who was arguably one of the best for goals out of the box.
As others have said it's refreshing to see and obviously paying dividends.

Shooting from outside the box draws players towards us as well. Opens a bit of space between the usual 2 lines of defence.
Exactly. When we point blank refused to shoot from a distance, the other defence was happy to just sit in knowing they were closing out our only option of passing into the box.

Back