Short Corners?

Also - placing the ball almost outside the semi-circle for a corner. I notice Borna doesn't do it and the mentally challengeds do it all the time - why?

Also - placing the ball almost outside the semi-circle for a corner. I notice Borna doesn't do it and the mentally challengeds do it all the time - why?
Every player does it, my granda moans about it too. Tav took his actually off the D tonight, surprised he didn’t get pulled up for it.

I've always hated them and don't know why any team does it. Turns a set piece into a shy (or throw in for the youngsters)
The reason teams do them is simple, they are more likely to lead to a goal, so in that way of thinking I don't mind them.

However hated them under Warburton when vast majority were short, kinda defeats the point of them.

I think we should always shape up as though we are going to take a short corner. For us to lose an attacking body from the box results in the opposition losing two as they can't afford to leave the defending up to a single player. It doesn't matter if we take a short corner or not, we gain a slight numerical advantage.

I've always hated them and don't know why any team does it. Turns a set piece into a shy (or throw in for the youngsters)
If it’s true that only five percent of corners result in goals then why not play them short.
Big bonus for me, when going directly into the box, or having the option to, is that it brings the opposition back seventy yards.
You’ve got to mix it up though.

Every player does it, my granda moans about it too. Tav took his actually off the D tonight, surprised he didn’t get pulled up for it.
Off the D is ok, ball can be outside as long as, looking straight down on the ball, it encroached the white paint.

I don’t see the advantage but it won’t be illegal.
Remember the rule is ”any part of the ball over any part of the line”
It may look outside the arc but won’t be.

I don’t see the advantage but it won’t be illegal.
Remember the rule is ”any part of the ball over any part of the line”
It may look outside the arc but won’t be.
Only thing I can think of is that it gets the ball as far as possible from the corner flag pole and gives a little more room to get behind the ball.

Statistics prove that teams of similar standard only score once in every 10 games from a corner.
That's the major reason that the Spanish side that won 2 Euros and a WC always took short corners not as was thought because they were not the biggest side around.
Mind you I think it pays to vary your corners.

It’s not a semi circle and the ball doesn’t have to be touching the paint.

What about the short kick outs- which everyone is wise to- and just send men up now to try to catch us out. :mad:

What about the short kick outs- which everyone is wise to- and just send men up now to try to catch us out. :mad:
Good players pass through it and retain position .
I thought both sides played it well last night and looked composed but one slack pass can undo the good work .
All about keeping the ball .We have it they don't .Sounds simple but needs competent players.... like the duffer :))

Ball not in quadrant is to reduce the chances of the ball immediately going over the goal line.

Back