Should Barker get punted before the window closes?

If it turns into a tight and close race to the finish, I doubt he has the mentality or even ability, to change a game, if things aren't going well. I don't want to have a go at him, but I personally just don't see anything there at all to make me think otherwise.

Yeah, I think that’s fair comment and I agree I question his ability and mentality based on what we’ve seen - but if we’re in a position where we’re light of players or even just needing to rest players during games for 30 mins or avoid suspensions then I think the ~£100k we’d bring in isn’t worth it even if he chips in with a goal or two and a couple of decent performances or allows Kent/Aribo etc a breather ahead of more important fixtures (I appreciate Jones can fill that role too).

Wasn’t convinced at the time we signed him and he’s not done anything to change my mind up til now

Yeah, I think that’s fair comment and I agree I question his ability and mentality based on what we’ve seen - but if we’re in a position where we’re light of players or even just needing to rest players during games for 30 mins or avoid suspensions then I think the ~£100k we’d bring in isn’t worth it even if he chips in with a goal or two and a couple of decent performances or allows Kent/Aribo etc a breather ahead of more important fixtures (I appreciate Jones can fill that role too).

I would think we would need to be at least 3-goals clear in a game, if we had to rest our better options for 30 mins or so. I wouldn't want to be two up, bring him on and all of a sudden we lost a goal. :rolleyes:

I would think we would need to be at least 3-goals clear in a game, if we had to rest our better options for 30 mins or so. I wouldn't want to be two up, bring him on and all of a sudden we lost a goal. :rolleyes:
yeah, I don’t disagree. I’m not fully convinced he has nothing to offer though - look at Borna - half the fanbase would have happily seen him released on a free transfer no so long ago. I don’t see the benefit in getting rid of him, this season of all seasons, for a bit of loose change if there’s a chance he could contribute. I have the same reservations as you about whether he can actually deliver though.

Who’s going to take him he will be on a decent contract , Hes done very little to prove he should be here ,

100% he should. I had this conversation with a punter in the Rosevale on Sunday. I'm 44 with a knackered back and a turn like a bus going round a roundabout but I'd still offer more to the team than I feel he does. My heart sinks when he comes on

I don't think he was Gerrard's signing, but he's nowhere near the first team so i'd let him go.

Strange signing really, and probably not good enough, but might do a turn as back up until the end of the season. If we lose too many more players we may have a bit of a thin squad if injuries and suspensions kick in

it hasn’t worked for him here, so far, but he was a Man City player so better minds than the great & good of Follow Follow must have seen something in him. I don‘t see any point in putting him out to another club on loan just now, we’d probably have to pay some of his wages anyway, might as well keep until the end of season and if he hasn’t done anything for us in the second half then punt him in the summer. Who knows, look at the change in Borna
Good point this, but in all fairness, Borna is a croatian international and Barker is nowhere near the caliber of player Borna is or even was. Only ever time ive seen Barker have a decent game was against us last year off the bench for Hivs. Also, meaning hes a man city player means nothing, Remember Aaron Nemane, another dud of a winger we had from... Man City.

No one learned anything from judging borna too early? Don't think the boy has set the Heather alight so far but he hasn't played. Jury's out on whether he will make it or not.

Would argue there’s no comparison with Borna. He was already an international and established at Osijek.

Barker has had a few loans and even hibs fans didn’t rate him

Would argue there’s no comparison with Borna. He was already an international and established at Osijek.

Barker has had a few loans and even hibs fans didn’t rate him
Wouldn't say being established in the Croatian league counts for much mate. My point is the boys been written off n he's hardly kicked a ball. Everyone was all plaudits for the performance the boy put in against porto away?

Very strange signing, wasn't even that good at hibs. Only reason I can see for us signing him is possibly if we thought Kent was out of our reach. Also the Mark Allan Man City connection

Thought it was a strange signing to begin with. Think Gerrard sees something though as he's usually in the 18 man squad.

Wouldn't say being established in the Croatian league counts for much mate. My point is the boys been written off n he's hardly kicked a ball. Everyone was all plaudits for the performance the boy put in against porto away?

I meant more as an established first team player. Barker is 23, we are his 6th club and he’s never managed more than 30 goals a season.

he was good away in Porto but has never kicked in from it and was awful v Porto at home

I think we took a punt because of the injury to Jones but he’s just not been at the races and should be told to find himself another club.

Does he lack confidence or is he just not very good, I suspect the latter unfortunately

I think a combination of both. Played well away at Porto but then home to Motherwell he looked like he never wanted the ball, took a tumble and looked desperate to get subbed. Think it turned out he was subbed before half time as well.

Weird signing all in for me.

Hasn’t worked out but reluctant to let anyone go before season is over, unless we go this season when there is so much to play for. Would sell in summer if can get money and no sign of improvement.

I think we could count on 1 hand how many times hes actually took it past a player. A strange signing from the start. Jake Hastie would offer more off the bench than him.

One of the strangest signings imo,i would have preferred for young Hastie to be sitting on the bench watching and learning,and getting some minutes as a sub,and even a start against Stranraer,but hey ho the gaffer knows best.

Strange signing in the first place to be honest. Can see him being retained until the summer purely as cover and then moving on. In saying that not sure there will be a huge amount of interest from other clubs.

Even with an injury or two he wouldn’t be near the starting XI so I don’t see much point in keeping him.

Think I’d give him the benefit of doubt based on other slow starters...

Maybe give him another 12 months and decide...

No, we are too quick to right players off and to be fair the lad hasnt actually played a lot, however if his form hasnt improved by the summer he might need to start looking over his shoulder.

I thought we signed him on loan. Disappointed to read that he’s a permanent signing. Don’t see what Gerrard seen in him as he’s rank rotten.

Bit premature for getting rid of him. I agree he's not been good so far. I'm sure Ross wilson will be monitoring the situation but give him until the summer at least.

Dont think hes done much apart from Porto away - against a low block hes pretty useless.

I would release him this summer.

Just don’t see where he fits in. Is a winger? That’s certainly where he played for Hibs but we’ve used him slightly more tucked in at times, and not sure that suits him. But anytime he’s been on the wing he’s lacked pace so not sure that suits him either.

Back