Should Barker get punted before the window closes?

Too early to write him off,plenty players take a bit of time to find their feet,Barisic being a recent classic example and you can include players like McCoist and Hately who would have been chased out the door if social media was around back then.

give the boy a chance, we need a decent pool of players considering the amount of games coming up

Whilst I agree with you mate.....“decent” is a key word.

I have no faith that we could rest the likes of Kent and have Barker come in and do a decent job.

Under the same bracket as Holt, Halliday, Wilson, Keirnan, Forrester, Herrera etc all were - he’s simply not of the required standard. We need better, even as a squad player.

Should have never been signed

Called it out at the time, dreadful signing and waste of a wage.

Quantity over quality, thank Christ we got Kent in on the last day

100% yes. Stinker of a signing. Wouldn’t let him or Ojo wear the jersey again
People were saying the same about Umar Sadiq, now he’s one of the top scorers in the Europa League and a £10million target for Napoli.
Unfair to write anyone off after half a season of bit part appearances really.

Haven't seen much from him in any game to see how he warrants a place in the squad. I'd much rather give one of the younger lads the time Barker has had and try improve them.

Looks so bereft of confidence just not sure we can attempt to build this up at this stage. He genuinely doesn't believe he is good enough, I tend to agree with him if thats the case.

IMHO, yes. He doesn’t bring much to the table and I struggle to think when I’ve seen him beat a man.

I think he might yet play a part for us but agree he’s looked off it bar a couple of performances.
Don’t get the constant calls to punt anyone who’s not in form

A strange signing at the time and not one I would trust to step in to the 11 if we get any injuries etc

We badly need to improve our options outside of the 1st 11..... honestly believe while we may have a better 1st 11 than them but they have a deeper squad. Need a few more additions imo to push for 55.

Give him a 6 month loan somewhere he will play consistently. Unfair to write him off already. He might just need 1 moment like Barisic did.

People were saying the same about Umar Sadiq, now he’s one of the top scorers in the Europa League and a £10million target for Napoli.
Unfair to write anyone off after half a season of bit part appearances really.

this isn’t just a retrospective thought. I thought it was a bad signing before he’d even kicked a ball for us. IMO he’s too much of a road runner, head down and doesn’t look up.

Re Sadiq, there’ll always be the odd player who doesn’t make it at rangers but can do well elsewhere. I dont think that’s Barker

He won't be going anywhere he's a new signing and has a few years left in his contract he will want to fight for a first team squad place at this moment. A few players need time to settle in at a new club.

No where near good enough, And don't think a loan move would help, best getting him off the wage bill

Jones or Barker ?

Neither played well for any sustained length of time in the Stranraer game. Jones has the excuse that he’s just back from injury, Barker probably didn't get enough time on the park to get properly up to speed. Neither is a starter unless Kent or Aribo are injured. Could do with one of them away and someone who will challenge the two first picks brought in. I’ll trust Ross Wilson to find that player.

Someone needs to want him first! Even Hibs fans barely rate him, i can only hope of a borna-esque recovery from him

it hasn’t worked for him here, so far, but he was a Man City player so better minds than the great & good of Follow Follow must have seen something in him. I don‘t see any point in putting him out to another club on loan just now, we’d probably have to pay some of his wages anyway, might as well keep until the end of season and if he hasn’t done anything for us in the second half then punt him in the summer. Who knows, look at the change in Borna

I’d move him on if we could. Clearly not good enough and not gonna get a run of starts barring an injury crisis.

No one learned anything from judging borna too early? Don't think the boy has set the Heather alight so far but he hasn't played. Jury's out on whether he will make it or not.

No one learned anything from judging borna too early? Don't think the boy has set the Heather alight so far but he hasn't played. Jury's out on whether he will make it or not.
Fair point I suppose, but we don’t really have the luxury of being able to let guys play themselves back to confidence. Really need them to hit the ground running.

I thought he was an unnecessary signing at the time. Almost a fall back plan if the Kent deal fell through. By all accounts he was a stand out at the academy level but sadly I can’t see him reaching his potential at Rangers.

Fair point I suppose, but we don’t really have the luxury of being able to let guys play themselves back to confidence. Really need them to hit the ground running.
Aye thats a given. What state would we be in however had we came to Ffs decision about barasic no being good enough we'd still have Flanagan at lb lol

I thought he was an unnecessary signing at the time. Almost a fall back plan if the Kent deal fell through. By all accounts he was a stand out at the academy level but sadly I can’t see him reaching his potential at Rangers.
I agree with this and good point

He's not good enough. Mind you, neither are Ojo or Jones.

It's a position in the team where the quality drops considerably if Kent and Aribo aren't starting.

I thought he looked better when he came to the right hand side briefly, but that isn’t saying much.

this isn’t just a retrospective thought. I thought it was a bad signing before he’d even kicked a ball for us. IMO he’s too much of a road runner, head down and doesn’t look up.

Re Sadiq, there’ll always be the odd player who doesn’t make it at rangers but can do well elsewhere. I dont think that’s Barker
For the record I thought it would be a bad signing too. It would be good to loan him out to another SPFL team though in the hope that he can do some damage against that lot in the same way he caused us some trouble at easter road.

Its been mentioned before about the blistering pace myth, but I think there was more dynamism from Kennedy on the 10mins against Stranrear.

I would prefer to blood from our academy instead of route being cluttered with purchases that look like they are struggling.

I would certainly loan him out. Hes so frustrating to watch. I remember seeing him play for Hibs, he looked decent but hasn't shown anything since he arrived.

He’s not been brilliant and we are reasonably well stocked in the wide areas with Aribo and Arfield able to play there but for for the sake of a modest loan fee and wages is it worth it to be a body light going into what could be the one of the closest and tightly contested championship races in a while. A couple of injuries and suspensions or just loss of form and fatigue and it may make a difference in April/May. Another matter if we bring in a similar player before the window shuts.

He’s not been brilliant and we are reasonably well stocked in the wide areas with Aribo and Arfield able to play there but for for the sake of a modest loan fee and wages is it worth it to be a body light going into what could be the one of the closest and tightly contested championship races in a while. A couple of injuries and suspensions or just loss of form and fatigue and it may make a difference in April/May. Another matter if we bring in a similar player before the window shuts.

If it turns into a tight and close race to the finish, I doubt he has the mentality or even ability, to change a game, if things aren't going well. I don't want to have a go at him, but I personally just don't see anything there at all to make me think otherwise.

Back