Should cup money be pooled together ?

club175

Official Ticketer
I was thinking earlier about how Stranraer won the lottery last night getting enough money to keep them going for a while. However I was thinking might it be an idea to pull all the ticket money for all games between the teams and distribute evenly rather than being luck of a draw. Would help the smaller clubs massively in.

It's a good idea but it would need to take how far into the cup teams get into consideration. It's not fair that a team knocked out in the first stage gets the same amount as the final teams

I was thinking earlier about how Stranraer won the lottery last night getting enough money to keep them going for a while. However I was thinking might it be an idea to pull all the ticket money for all games between the teams and distribute evenly rather than being luck of a draw. Would help the smaller clubs massively in.
Remove the reward for advancing in cup competitions, that is definitely the way to go.

No offence to yourself op but feck that. Takes away any "romance" of the cups, gives money to teams who dont deserve it and gives smaller teams no reason to get through the rounds if they get ££ anyway

"Winning the lottery" is the aim for the minnows in cup football. Lasting in the competition until they have a potential draw against the bigger clubs.

I would also do away with the pooling of the semi-final money between the 4 clubs. In 2016 Hibs played Dundee United on the Saturday in front of a pitiful crowd that barely reached 20k - and even then I think that's being optimistic. We played the mentally challengeds the following day in front of the usual sell-out but Hibs and Dundee United got a cut of that despite playing in a stadium that was barely half full.

"Winning the lottery" is the aim for the minnows in cup football. Lasting in the competition until they have a potential draw against the bigger clubs.

I would also do away with the pooling of the semi-final money between the 4 clubs. In 2016 Hibs played Dundee United on the Saturday in front of a pitiful crowd that barely reached 20k - and even then I think that's being optimistic. We played the mentally challengeds the following day in front of the usual sell-out but Hibs and Dundee United got a cut of that despite playing in a stadium that was barely half full.
K didn’t know that happened - that’s not right should not happen

Nope.

You play the Rangers at home you get the blue pound. The rest can GTF.

I like it in principal but it would take away the whole romantic "hanging in there to get the game back to Ibrox/Celtic Park" aspect.

While teams attempting that can be frustrating to watch as supporters of the bigger club, it's part of cup football.

so wee teams like sheep whos fans cant be bothered would gain out it while our own club would make less.

its a No from me

We got 50% of our gate money at the moment and it's being suggested that we should only get, say, 8%? Seriously?

We should subsidise all those SPL clubs who voted us out to drop down to division 3?

That'd be a No from me.
Exactly this! Why should we give up our money to be divided amongst a bunch of teams that hate us?
Besides if it was done for the cup, then what about the league cup and what about the league itself? Sorry but one of the worst ideas yet!

I don't teams like Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc benefiting from my ticket money when we're not even playing them.
This x 100, I think it's fine the way it is. Fantastic for teams like Stranrear to benefit from an away tie via us, why give leeches like Dundee Hibs anything if they're not playing us?

The semi final split mentioned needs looked at. We sold a massive amount of tickets against Hearts who really didn't. We should have got a bigger % of the cash

How much does it cost to put our team on the park, how much does it cost the smaller teams? sorry but we can use as much money we can get in a good Scottish Cup run, a no from me also

The only way I could say anyone agreeing is that the money is pooled and distributed after each round. That way progression is still rewarded.

Not sure about cup games but would say that maybe 20% of European participation money, not the ticket sales or bonus, should be pooled and the awarded to clubs who play home grown players based on how many minutes are played.

Would encourage teams to play more youngsters and eventually improve the league.

Think that's a very fair point actually.

A compromise could be a payout based percentage of capacity filled. We'd make more money like that!
same should apply when it comes to semi/final tickets this demand for half when they dont even half fill their own grounds should see them get a percentage of what they average which would be roughly twenty percent.which is about what we get for hampden

It's a good idea but it would need to take how far into the cup teams get into consideration. It's not fair that a team knocked out in the first stage gets the same amount as the final teams
May have been said by now but I think the idea is you pull each round and split by number of entrants.
2 finalists still make more..
Semi finalists more than quarter finalists etc.

I think home teams should be allowed to pay for additional costs first and then receive half of the ticket income. I think it could then be used as a way to determine what percentage of final and semi-final tickets a team receives.

I think home teams should be allowed to pay for additional costs first and then receive half of the ticket income. I think it could then be used as a way to determine what percentage of final and semi-final tickets a team receives.
That's what happens.
60/40 split..

It’s a no from me.

The wee teams getting a good draw is what the cup is all about, in my opinion anyway.

It’s like a lottery win for them!

Not for me. We have our own costs which would be substantially higher than the smaller clubs per one off fixture. No need to make a loss just to give a bit extra to other clubs, most of whom wanted us dead.

It would be an admin nightmare for the SFA to manage who got what depending on what round the teams got to etc, and based on the general level of aptitude shown by the SFA generally it would be a unmitigated disaster.

The English set up actually looks quite good and is clearly aimed at lower league development - but our political scene is hardly the same. The 10% pool money only for earlier rounds. I’m not promoting it BTW just saying!

Exactly this - the incentive for the smaller clubs progressing is that they hit the jackpot by drawing us or them. It's part of the magic of the cup for the lower leagues

I get the sentiment but no. I only want to help the teams that stood by us when we needed support and that would be no kunt

In all seriousness something needs to be done to improve the money available in Scotland.

We will never get the tv riches available in England so something that encourages the smaller teams to be more attacking and play more youngsters has to be the aim.

Not sure what though.

Back