Should Jamie Murphy be loaned out

If, as we all hope, we make it again into the group stages of the Europa League, given the additional games we have to play in a crowded 2/3 month period, we will be glad to have Jamie Murphy around our first team squad.

Why has everyone got it in for him? He was looking excellent before his injury and with 40+ games we need options.

He was playing in the EPL before he came to us and isn't exactly old.

Its baffling to me.

I may be wrong, but did Murphy not have more assists in half a season than Kent or Candeias did in a whole season?

I also think his willingness and ability to take a man on and beat him was badly missed in a number of matches we drew or lost struggling to break down stubborn defences

Just my opinion but I don't think he's at the level required. Said it last summer before his horror injury, he's just not for me. Obviously hope if he stays and plays he smashes it every game, love players to prove me wrong

He isn’t mate! He was fine last year and is a good SPL player but is lacking pace, the ability to beat a player out wide which makes him very predictable and has the physique of a 15yo!

We have moved up a level and are signing players that are above the standard for the league we play in. Even without Kent he’ll get very little game time!

Depends on the shape.

I think like Arfield he would flourish in the position just behind the striker.

I like the guy and hope he returns to his form.

But like the squad there is competion all over the shop and you know folk will be breathing down your neck.

This is the season.

I think you could be right. He would give us an important option if Arfield is not available to play as a narrow forward.

The guy has been out ages. He will be phased in gradually. What did folk expect in his first game back? - Hardly going to run riot after having a serious injury

That is my fear. He is only getting older whilst out team and style of play is only getting younger and quicker.

How do we give him the game time he needs to get up to speed? I just don't think we can.

Add in his high'ish wages and our tight'ish budget and i see him going out on loan with the end game being to sell him.

Shame, a player i like but i think his injury whilst terrible for the player has come at a terrible time for him with regards to a playing career at Rangers.

I think he has missed the boat. As i said in my first post i say that with total respect to the player.

That is sport at a professional level. Especially if you want to create an elite level environment.
That just seems like big words and clichés to talk pish to be honest.
Arguably our most productive player pre-injury.
Not even been back to play a full game, suddenly an elite environment would be punting him for peanuts before we even see where he is at?

Loan til January, he needs games. Then hopefully in the second half of the season he can make an impact, but he's not at that stage yet physically.

He's not the first name I'd want to see leave.

Think before his injury he played his part in 1 goal per 90 minutes of play.
In terms of sheer numbers he must have a better return and contribution than Kent?

As for his age hes only 30 in August.

That just seems like big words and clichés to talk pish to be honest.
Arguably our most productive player pre-injury.
Not even been back to play a full game, suddenly an elite environment would be punting him for peanuts before we even see where he is at?
I guess we will see how much he contributes if he stays.

I don't think it will be much although more than happy to be proven wrong.

We currently have nine wide players in contention for two starting slots.

There's quality in depth and then there's unsustainable excess.

I'm not saying Murphy will be one to go, but some of them have to.

I’m with you mate we definitely need a few bodies out but Jamie Murphy on his game brings a quality few others do and that’s why I reckon he’ll be staying put.

Murphy will need game time to get back to a fitness and sharpness level he once had. 6 month loan of football would do him the world of good to come back in after winter break and kick on from there.

I don’t think you loan out someone at that stage of their career unless it is with a view to a parmanent transfer.

I think Murphy can be an important contributor for Rangers this coming season, given that he is clear of the injury.
We need to use the squad well next season - a fine line between a settled side and giving players a rest when needed. The front line is probably easier to swap players in & out if depending upon opposition and whether we are in a run of games and giving someone a rest will help.

I dont think he s the type of player to come off the bench and change a game if need be.
He needs a run of games imo and i think it will be the bench at best if the team is fit.
Could see him being released next season.

Uch, we should just give him to Hearts or Aberdeen or something. Who cares they wanted us dead, he might score a goal or two against the Yahoos and after all this is what our title challenge hinges on.

Aye probably.

It always struck me that we had agreed to his purchase before we actually had Gerrard as such and then it all felt a bit of a good will gesture to the player

We have signed a fucken load of wide players since we signed him, it does sort of look like he isn't the preference of footballer.

I think a loan spell to get his match fitness back. I always felt he was just ok, never indispensable and lacked that extra pace to get away from his man. We could give him regular games on loan till January to build up fitness and assess him on that basis. I don’t think he’ll play often enough with us at least until he can prove his ability and he’ll need games to do so. Of course I want every player we’ve got to succeed at Rangers.

If we get Kent back then yes.

Needs to be a Scottish club though so he can still get our medical treatment and rehab when required.

He should stay and fight for his place as he could still have a big part to play.

I think a lot will depend on if or when we get Kent back,

A loan does us and him no good, if he's leaving i'd rather get in some cash for him whilst we can.

Good to see Murphy get almost 80 minutes against Cambridge United today. He's getting longer spells as he builds up confidence and match fitness. Should be almost ready for 60 minutes in the first team now and a steady 90 minutes in the Reserves.

Then we can assess where he is. I remain convinced he will have a significant part to play.

Some absolute shite posted on this thread.

Murphy is still working his way back after a career threatening injury.

Even though he's been getting some game time, he's still in the final stages of his rehab.

Our medical team will still be monitoring him and he'll be going nowhere.

Can we not at least give him a chance to show what he can do, once he's fully physically and match fit, before deciding what sort of contribution he can make?

Some absolute shite posted on this thread.

Murphy is still working his way back after a career threatening injury.

Even though he's been getting some game time, he's still in the final stages of his rehab.

Our medical team will still be monitoring him and he'll be going nowhere.

Can we not at least give him a chance to show what he can do, once he's fully physically and match fit, before deciding what sort of contribution he can make?

Just have to see what kind of impact that injury has had on him.

He was a light in a poor Rangers side but, let’s not forget he was another who surrendered easily to the bheasts under Murty.

Likeable guy but, I’m starting to think our options are now going past his level of ability. He’s wasn’t quick pre injury, very one footed as well. Can see him struggling to make the bench especially if Kent returns. Hope he proves me wrong.

He was a light in a poor Rangers side but, let’s not forget he was another who surrendered easily to the bheasts under Murty.

Likeable guy but, I’m starting to think our options are now going past his level of ability. He’s wasn’t quick pre injury, very one footed as well. Can see him struggling to make the bench especially if Kent returns. Hope he proves me wrong.

Like Tav and a few others you mean? Odd argument.

Think you're being a bit harsh mate.

I remember him starting well under Gerrard (MOTM at Pittodrie, scoring in Europe) and he's actually deceptively quick.

However, I'd reckon he's at least 6 weeks away yet from being able to show us what he may offer.

Almost a year out of football with such a horrific injury gets him as much time as he needs for me.

Murphy will be a mainstay of our attack this season as he can contribute more than others .

Not this season. If Ojo lives up to the hype and Kent came back I cant see him getting near the team. The gaffers vision of pace and power is falling into place. Then you have Arfield and Aribo as AM or the no 10 role and I dont see what Murphy brings that is better? Appreciate he has good stats and should be in the squad but think there will be even more additions that wont help him getting near the starting 11.

He isn’t mate! He was fine last year and is a good SPL player but is lacking pace, the ability to beat a player out wide which makes him very predictable and has the physique of a 15yo!

We have moved up a level and are signing players that are above the standard for the league we play in. Even without Kent he’ll get very little game time!
I probably couldn’t disagree with a post anymore than this

Ojo
Candieas
Hastie
Jones
Middleton
Stewart
Arfield

Then there’s maybe Kent.

I just don’t see wee where Murphy comes into it. For me we’ve moved on and have , when compared to Murphy pre injury, went up in terms of players physical ability and pace. Murphy has neither. He’s not a bad player but we are now a completely different team.

Tav at least laid a glove on them. Murphy having a panic attack in the tunnell before the last 5 -0 game was a worry. Him and Dorrans done nothing against them. Last season we had a player in that position that terrorised them.
Not going to lie, this is what put me off Murphy and Dorrans.

Their attitude in that game was shocking.

Tav at least laid a glove on them. Murphy having a panic attack in the tunnell before the last 5 -0 game was a worry. Him and Dorrans done nothing against them. Last season we had a player in that position that terrorised them.

You're sweeping statement that he was part of a 'surrender' under Murty and holding that against him was over-egging things in the extreme. As I pointed out, we still have players from those games who have gone on to 'redeem' themselves in most fans eyes. Murphy already has as far as I'm concerned.

Its fine to disagree on whether he has a role this season but lets not tar him with the 'Murty brush'. At the time of his injury he was, arguably, one of our most important players. We've certainly moved on from that but he will, nevertheless, have a role to play. I'd like to see this forum dampen down its expectations on Kent returning as well - too many setting themselves up for a disappointment if it doesn't happen. If he comes back I will be delighted. If he doesn't we will cope just fine.

You're sweeping statement that he was part of a 'surrender' under Murty and holding that against him was over-egging things in the extreme. As I pointed out, we still have players from those games who have gone on to 'redeem' themselves in most fans eyes. Murphy already has as far as I'm concerned.

Its fine to disagree on whether he has a role this season but lets not tar him with the 'Murty brush'. At the time of his injury he was, arguably, one of our most important players. We've certainly moved on from that but he will, nevertheless, have a role to play. I'd like to see this forum dampen down its expectations on Kent returning as well - too many setting themselves up for a disappointment if it doesn't happen. If he comes back I will be delighted. If he doesn't we will cope just fine.

I never mentioned Murty. Put it this way we need to stop them this season. No one will buy him so a 6 month loan option would be the best option. He is not that good a player that we should be trying to get him in the first XI as soon as possible. We are looking better than we have done for many a year. A decent player but his lack of pace and predictability posed in threat to better teams.

I probably couldn’t disagree with a post anymore than this

We don’t all need to agree on everything. I think come the end of the season it will be evident. He appears to be behind JJ in the pecking order and will be third choice at best if Kent comes back.

I never mentioned Murty. Put it this way we need to stop them this season. No one will buy him so a 6 month loan option would be the best option. He is not that good a player that we should be trying to get him in the first XI as soon as possible. We are looking better than we have done for many a year. A decent player but his lack of pace and predictability posed in threat to better teams.

Got you confused with another poster. Apologies.

Tbf mate, I was at the game that day and I'd a panic attack when I saw Jason Cummings and Russell Martin coming out the tunnel.

I agree. But Murphy looked like needed a valium. He was blinking uncontrollably. He was one of our better players he should have been up for it. I also felt he was partly responsible for Halliday getting hung out to dry. At least Halliday tried but neither Murphy or Windass wanted it. Thankfully those days are gone now.

Back