Should Rangers make a play for lawrence shankland

Apart from his goal scoring stats I know very little about him and haven’t seen too much of him play. Are all the “not good enough” posters scholars of the boys career?

What I would say is that I’d be annoyed if we gave that shower any money whatsoever let alone the six figures they’ll want for Shankland.

Apart from his goal scoring stats I know very little about him and haven’t seen too much of him play. Are all the “not good enough” posters scholars of the boys career?

What I would say is that I’d be annoyed if we gave that shower any money whatsoever let alone the six figures they’ll want for Shankland.
I’m the same, hardly seen him play.

Certainly not a move I’d be in favour of but I’m not sure you can just declare that the Championship is his level. He bangs in a great amount of goals but until he’s tested at a higher level we’ll never know.

I thought he was definitely worth a punt before he joined that mob, but he's more of a risk now and nobody wants to give them 2M... But the positive side to the gamble is that maybe he can make the grade in the top flight and then the 2M is a decent investment.

Was a well taken goal against hibs, but I’m not convinced. Also, the fact that we have to pay Dundee hibs means it’s a no from me.

The Arabs would be difficult to deal with (to say the least) and try to screw us over. Who's to say he can't make the step up, though?

Yes.

We should be making a move for him. He clearly has talent. I think Gerrard could turn him into a player. You only have to look at Kamara, Kent, and Jack as examples albeit they're midfielders.

As long as we weren't overpaying then yes, I'd like us to sign him. I could see him playing similar role for us that Solskjaer did for Man u back in the day.

We should have got him from Ayr. He could of learned from Alfredo and Defoe, think it would be an expensive gamble now. Might be worth it tho.

I understand the Nicky Clark pt.II fears, but sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. There's a bit of snobbishness when it comes to lower league players. He might be one of those rare players who is an out and out poacher.

Some of the same folk that vote Yes for him are the same that don’t think Stewart is good enough.
Imho Stewart has a far better footballing brain and better positional play

As others are saying, a couple of million isn’t worth the gamble.

No doubt he is capable of scoring goals at that level, there’s absolutely no guarantee he can do it at the top level.

It would be a gamble, and not a gamble worth more than a million.

Made this point to my pal the other day. What’s the chances he could play at the level we are at now.

Pretty good id say thats why we are always talking about him on here and why his value increases every week. Hes just scored against Hibs if you mean in europe well that depends which game the level of opposition. Next season early rounds/qualifiers why no ?

Totally agree, if he’s not given a chance at a top team we’re never gonna know if he’s good enough.....plus division ones one of the most ruthless divisions to get out of, as we found out at the first attempt, and many comparing him to Clarke but I don’t recall Clarke ripping it up in first division the way shankland is. But we should’ve done it when he was at Ayr.

Probably best to just ignore anyone talking or posting about Clark or telling us a list of players that scored at that level... its just daft.

We were told there was no chance of him playing for Scotland or getting anywhere near the squad due to the level hes at. Hes played twice now and scored(ok tap in v san marino) no doubt he will be in involved v Israel.

I’m sure he would get decent figures in the SPL but playing for us is a different ball game. Most of the time it is 10 men behind the ball and therefore finding space or having the ability to beat a man and get a shot off is important.

I honestly think no, for now.

Mind the time Waghorn scored bucketloads in the Championship but non the Premiership?

It makes me mad we could have got him for nothing or 50 k and then loaned him out to a championship club down south. I know a lot of Italian teams do this with up and coming stars and secure them on a good contract incase the come good.
I reckon he is a good player, but would not have got a game for us and a player like Lawrence needs to play now week in week out to develop.

Ship has sailed for that risk in the summer. I'd rather cut our collective noses off than give Dundee united any cash, ever.

he will move down south too a championship club they will pay the moneys scumdee want we wont and i am glad would not give them a penny

Don’t know but I’m pretty sure Shankland doesn’t do top SPFL goalscorer,over 100 top flight goals for a poor Kilmarnock team or being the No.9 in a top flight title winning team.

If Morelos or Defoe get injured for a significant period we won’t be able to compete on all fronts. Shankland might be too expensive now but we need a reasonably experienced, low risk, 3rd striker.

People say he isn't good enough and found his level, he will be playing not second but third fiddle here, and maybe even 4th choice at the Knew Camp.
I think, as a player that knows where the goal is, he is worth a try.

We should have snapped him up in the summer for next to nothing but not sure he’s worth forking out what Dundee United would want now for him to be 3rd choice

Maybe an unfair comparison but has everyone forgotten Nicky Clarke? Scored for fun before coming to us. For free last Summer yes but the money getting bounded about now no chance. Not to mention giving that club anything.

For what it would have cost, we should have taken him in the summer. At least then we would have been sure wether he has the potential to be at our level or not.
Agreed, if we were interested that was the time to buy him. Although I doubt he would get in our team ahead of Morelos or Defoe.

Back