Should refs be mic'ed up for VAR?

Actually saw Celtic's POTY while I was in Edinburgh today, delayed reaction recognising him in his civvies which surprisingly wasn't a Green and White hooped Football Jersey

I can only throw myself on the mercy of FF for not calling him a corrupted useless c^&t of a Ref and ask your forgiveness
Hang your head in shame!
There isn’t a poster on here who wouldn’t have taken that opportunity.
No siree, definitely not.

I think every ref should be made accountable for the decisions they make - that means making sure they can be called out or praised for their decisions if required. So, yes.

If a ref makes an arse of a decision and it can be proven then they lose their job. Or at least, have to go for more training after being demoted. That means making them professional. There is so much at stake in football now the people making the decisions need to be FULLY accountable for them. That means being able to justify during and after the game.

I think every ref should be made accountable for the decisions they make - that means making sure they can be called out or praised for their decisions if required. So, yes.

If a ref makes an arse of a decision and it can be proven then they lose their job. Or at least, have to go for more training after being demoted. That means making them professional. There is so much at stake in football now the people making the decisions need to be FULLY accountable for them. That means being able to justify during and after the game.
Sometimes in life, particularly in the world of employment, people make mistakes

Sometimes they can be corrected, sometimes they cannot

Folk don't tend to get sacked, demoted, or sent for more training for making mistakes

Humans make mistake, owning them is part of human nature

Did you want Morelos dropped after he gave the ball to Maeda in the 2-2 game. What about Davies in the 3-2 game? Or Souttar?

If everyone got sacked for making an arse of their job from time to time, the queue for the job centre would be longer than it is now

Most definitely.
Not only that, but VAR officials should be obliged to explain their decisions, especially when they decide NOT to have the ref take a second look at something.

Rugby gets it right though. Referee asks for VAR assistance and tells them how he saw the incident. Cowardly twats in football, at least in Scotland, shite it and let the VAR make the decision.

Mic’ing them up would change the dynamic in line with Rugby and is essential imho!
Exactly this, mate. Fans get to here what the ref saw. VAR gets to review and either agree or disagree. Its perfect for everybody involved...well, apart from your Sutton's and Hartson's that is.

And then there is the clown show of the Daily Record Saturday Jury. With chief clown Craig ‘’ra hoops’ Swan

Should Scottish refs be mic’d up next season or would that lead to chaos?

David McCarthy
: It’s already chaos, so why not? Let’s hear what they have to say and maybe we’ll have a better understanding of how they arrive at some of the more unfathomable decisions.

Craig Swan: Just take mics, screens and VAR away altogether. Not one fan would complain. If you’re keeping it, make it for offsides only, which should be black and white calls.

Fraser Wilson: This would certainly make for interesting listening! It works in rugby so why not? And hopefully it would increase the understanding from a supporters’ point of view. But nothing will ever take the controversy out of big subjective decisions.

Yes.

That MNF programme with Howard Webb, Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville was brilliant. Very interesting and showed VAR and the referees in a very different light. It made me realise just how professional the referees are and how seriously they take their job. It also added a great deal of clarity to a number of the decisions they talked through and made me understand why there are delays sometimes.

Whether our referees up here are in the same standard as the PGMOL referees is up for debate, but it might help shut folk like Walker, Stewart and Sutton up.

Here’s a few links to parts of the programme for those who missed it.

Yes.

That MNF programme with Howard Webb, Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville was brilliant. Very interesting and showed VAR and the referees in a very different light. It made me realise just how professional the referees are and how seriously they take their job. It also added a great deal of clarity to a number of the decisions they talked through and made me understand why there are delays sometimes.

Whether our referees up here are in the same standard as the PGMOL referees is up for debate, but it might help shut folk like Walker, Stewart and Sutton up.

That’s a great clip. Not only shows how they talk through everything before it gets to the incident (watch for ball out etc) but also how they get to where they get to which is ultimately the correct decision. Very calm too.

I can see why the referee gave the decision he did. Very hard one to get right in real time.

That’s a great clip. Not only shows how they talk through everything before it gets to the incident (watch for ball out etc) but also how they get to where they get to which is ultimately the correct decision. Very calm too.

I can see why the referee gave the decision he did. Very hard one to get right in real time.
The full programme doesn’t seem to be on YouTube, but might still be on Sky catch-up. I think it was about an hour long and they talked through 7 or 8 different decisions from various different matches in the same way. Very very interesting and worth watching if you get the chance.

I think managers should be allowed up to 3 'challenges' per game and the ref should be made to explain why he didn't give a certain excision as well as why he has given the decisions he has.

If the refs have to explain why they have given certain decisions, it will be easier for them just to not give them, so they don't have to explain themselves.

Yes.

Very interesting.

Sometimes in life, particularly in the world of employment, people make mistakes

Sometimes they can be corrected, sometimes they cannot

Folk don't tend to get sacked, demoted, or sent for more training for making mistakes

Humans make mistake, owning them is part of human nature

Did you want Morelos dropped after he gave the ball to Maeda in the 2-2 game. What about Davies in the 3-2 game? Or Souttar?

If everyone got sacked for making an arse of their job from time to time, the queue for the job centre would be longer than it is now
No, you are correct but something does need to be done with people who make regular and massive mistakes. There are a large number of referees that do exactly that. There is no reason to afford them the protection of not being forced to explain some of their calls or indeed, people being able to listen in to their thought process. In doing that you make find that quite a few of the referees are just bad bastards, or attention seeking pricks. Being exposed to the world their decisions may make a big difference and stop them getting so much wrong.

Most people who are bad at their jobs on a regular basis face demotion or being fired. Why should referees be any different. Look at that Spanish prick that retired recently - must have watched him in dozens of games and never once seen him handle a game well and in every game made massive wrong, or contentious decisions. Yet, he was highly regarded and had a long career as a pro referee (which I imagine comes with a decent wage).

Back