Should the players volunteer take a pay cut, before they are asked to do so by their clubs ?

ndr429j

With the current situation, should the players volunteer to take a pay cut now, rather than be force to by the club in the future. As if this goes longer than 6 months there will not be any teams for them to play for, at all levels.
Most of the supporters are affected by the crisis some worst than others. Why are footballers exempt ?

I agree, yes they should, but only if it meant that the ordinary people at the club don't have to suffer any hardship and are paid in full.

They have mortgages and bill's like the rest of us. However that's not to say they shouldn't consider the above given the scale of their earnings.

It's a difficult one. They might not even be at the club next season and how would it affect any termination agreements? Football looks unlikely to resume for several months as well.

They'd need to be blue blooded to really have any desire to do so.

In a word.. yes.

Random question, but I seem to remember big Seb Rozental offering to give up his wages for a year because of his jury. Was that right enough?

They have mortgages and bill's like the rest of us. However that's not to say they shouldn't consider the above given the scale of their earnings.

It's a difficult one. They might not even be at the club next season and how would it affect any termination agreements? Football looks unlikely to resume for several months as well.

They'd need to be blue blooded to really have any desire to do so.

Yup, if you’re - pick two random names, Jordan Jones and Wes Foderingham for example, both of who may be moved on in the Summer - would you take a pay cut to help Rangers? I think we’d all have the empathy with our fellow man to do so if it was to help others, such as other clubs employees, keep their jobs but to help the Club in a much wider sense? Maybe not.

Of course they should and the highest paid by 50%, a sacrifice for a few months of a 3 or 4 year contract should be manageable, or at the very least, tolerable

Otherwise you are asking directors / investors to directly transfer their money into the pockets of already wealthy footballers.

Alternatively, and even worse, would be the asking of supporters of modest means and with huge financial uncertainty hanging over them and their families to maintain the players wages. That can't be right.

With the current situation, should the players volunteer to take a pay cut now, rather than be force to by the club in the future. As if this goes longer than 6 months there will not be any teams for them to play for, at all levels.
Most of the supporters are affected by the crisis some worst than others. Why are footballers exempt ?
If their on long term contracts I would
Ike to think they would

Of course they should and the highest paid by 50%, a sacrifice for a few months of a 3 or 4 year contract should be manageable, or at the very least, tolerable

Otherwise you are asking directors / investors to directly transfer their money into the pockets of already wealthy footballers.

Alternatively, and even worse, would be the asking of supporters of modest means and with huge financial uncertainty hanging over them and their families to maintain the players wages. That can't be right.

100% correct

I don’t earn enough to volunteer but unfortunately I have to earn less. Your point is totally irrelevant in this present climate.

Do you think the players if asked should take a pay cut ?
You didn’t volunteer, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, if they are asked I would hope they would take the cut.

You didn’t volunteer, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, if they are asked I would hope they would take the cut.

Your point is mute , if the players cannot look out their window and see the bigger picture and volunteer then shame on them.

Why would someone earning 15k a year step forward and volunteer to take a wage cut when said players are earning at least that a week?

I think they probably should, but it is about as likely as me scoring the winner in the CL final - and I’m 71.

Would you volunteer to take a pay cut at your work without being asked?

I think a lot of people want others to take a pay cut but I wonder if any of them would ?
Personally Speaking, I think it would be the right thing to do and maybe a 20% pay cut from their basic pay. But would be interesting to know how much they have already lost by not having an appearance and win bonus. That is probably at least 20%.

I would for 6 months if I played for Rangers, not sure I would have the same outlook if I played with any other team
Would you take a voluntary pay cut at your job though? Not if you played for rangers

people don’t seem to consider that players have financial commitments based on their salaries, it’s not just as simple as “they earn loads so they’ll take apay cut”

Your point is mute , if the players cannot look out their window and see the bigger picture and volunteer then shame on them.

Why would someone earning 15k a year step forward and volunteer to take a wage cut when said players are earning at least that a week?
It’s moot, not mute.
Youre having a mare here but continue churning out cliches by all means.

Would you take a voluntary pay cut at your job though? Not if you played for rangers

people don’t seem to consider that players have financial commitments based on their salaries, it’s not just as simple as “they earn loads so they’ll take apay cut”
When I was 17, our firm had a cashflow problem. I spoke to the boss privately and offered to work for nothing for as long as he needed me to do so on the proviso that he gave me expenses.
I was looked after for the rest of my apprenticeship. I have never worked for a company for over 40 years

When I was 17, our firm had a cashflow problem. I spoke to the boss privately and offered to work for nothing for as long as he needed me to do so on the proviso that he gave me expenses.
I was looked after for the rest of my apprenticeship. I have never worked for a company for over 40 years
You are probably 1 in 1000

only a few of them care enough about the club for it to even cross their mind

Use me for free or lose me on a free.

The foreign players without real feelings for the club will give up nothing.
They might kiss badges but wil expect their contract paid in full.
The home nations players in the main would be more likely to help.
Then I think back to the folk who scrambled out the door in 2012 even they might not be willing to play ball.

You are probably 1 in 1000

only a few of them care enough about the club for it to even cross their mind
First year apprentices are generally staying with their parents without mortgages.
These players don’t.

I'd like to think that if they were asked to they would play ball however I don't and wouldn't expect them to volunteer to do it.

Until we get some kind of leadership from the football authorities across Europe players won't know what to do.

If the totally unrealistic target of July 1st is still set by the EPL and others then players would have to be back in for a mini pre-season by about the mid May. Some players might think to themselves why take a cut if we are back in training in 6-7 weeks time?

The longer leagues wait to call off the season the more damage will be done to the game with prize money etc not being paid out fully.

Yes in an ideal world

The fact that SPFL contract seems to have a clause that means clubs can stop paying players if football is suspended means it could end up getting messy though

I think it's the obvious thing to do.

God help any player of any club who cries foul having a pay cut.

I think it’s important to remember the players will be earning less at the moment with no bonuses for appearances, wins etc. Now I know their income will still be high, but they are still being impacted.

Also they will like many of us live a lifestyle that fits their income, and that could complicate any potential cut. As will their contractual status e.g. someone out of contract in a few weeks is probably not going to give up anything, and understandably so in my opinion.

If they are asked in the coming weeks let’s see how they respond, but I think a few are jumping the gun here at this point especially as we’ve only missed a game or two to this point with this weekend being pencilled in for international matches.

As a result the club shouldn’t be in a state yet so let’s see how this plays out before jumping up and down demanding wages cuts.

First year apprentices are generally staying with their parents without mortgages.
These players don’t.
I got £6.36 a week back then. There is no legal reason for players to take a pay cut but all of them will be on a higher rate of tax so it won't be as bad.
If I was a player, I would want my full contract paid. ( assuming I wasn't playing for Rangers )

Would be a great gesture.

Appreciate we all have bills to pay however if we are talking about six or seven weeks max. surely a pay cut wouldn’t be a problem.

I've got a feeling that when we return to the new normality , a lot of things that we all took for granted will be looked at and football players salaries will be among a lot of things looked at .

Back