Should the winter break be scrapped?

Should the decision to have a winter break be reviewed?

• Yes

Votes: 395 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 37 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In light of the fact that Scottish weather is so unpredictable, should the powers that be look at
doing away with the winter break / playing more league football in the traditionally less inclement months of the season, giving clubs more scope to reschedule games and not having football overkill December, mid Jan & February.

To get a 3 (ish) week break we have to play 11 matches (26/1 to 26/2) in the worst of the winter months.

should be pushed forward to feb

Yes. We can’t predict it seems what month the worst weather will hit.

The break seems built on a preposition that Scottish teams will be out of Europe by Christmas freeing up a bit of time.

The winter break is a complete waste of time. At first I liked the idea of our players having a break due to European football, but that's hardly worked in our favour now for two years in a row. In terms of weather, its utterly pointless as the weather is always worse in Feb.

I'm the same, but now I think it's up to the management team to utilise the squad in a way to strike a balance for each individual players' game time & rest so that players aren't burnt out come the end of December.

100% yes what a waste of people’s time and games start piling up after the break when the real winter comes

Our players certainly used their break well.
The question shouldn’t be ‘should the winter break be scrapped?’
It should be why have we came out stuttering again while Timmy have came out flying again?

I don’t think it’s even the winter break that’s caused us the problems. It’s that we’ve put ourselves in a position to go and extend our lead and put the pressure all on them, yet we’ve bottled it when we’ve been handed the baton.
Think with this team it was going to happen winter break or not

They should have known better when deciding to have it in the first place. Scottish winters are about 5 months long, setting an arbitrary 2 weeks aside when it doesn’t even miss the worst of the weather is beyond parody.

If we'd came back after the break absolutely flying then this would never be discussed. Fickle supporters yet again looking for something other than the players to blame. Naw is my answer - we should keep the break. The players are to blame for our mess, not the break. The break is not just about avoiding Scottish weather, its about giving players a rest.

Last edited:
Usual mongs complaining about the weather.

It’s a break for the players. A much needed one - Gerrard has told you that the last two years. It’s not a break to avoid weather. Understand this.

Scottish winter weather can extend from November until April, having a 'Winter Break' is meaning less, agree a mid season break for the players is valid but not as long as the current break.

Usual mongs complaining about the weather.

It’s a break for the players. A much needed one - Gerrard has told you that the last two years. It’s not a break to avoid weather. Understand this.

Our season starts in July and players now only have about 3-4 weeks off at the end of a season.

I'm amazed people don't get this.

Given how long our winter is, we can have severe weather anytime from November through to March.

Don't see the point in having 3 weeks off in January. Can't predict when the weather will be bad. All this does is create fixture backlogs.

Yes, if there has to be one it should be structured like the one in the English premiership

been wanting the break to be one week not three for years cos three weeks is too long and i want the league cup final back to march

Yes, if there has to be one it should be structured like the one in the English premiership

For me the break could be n,y having one game per week ( Sat / Sun ) for 5-6 weeks Jan to early Feb, also give clubs the chance to clear backlog games / fit in fixture or 2 if they both agree to it.

I don’t think it needs scrapped but definitely needs reviewed. It’s ridiculous to run the players into the ground in run up to new year, take 3 weeks off then run them into the ground again.

2 years in a row the weather has been veryfavourable during the break then taken a turn afterwards.

Absolutely we don't play to much football here as the national team won't be qualifying for any tournaments anytime soon

It is completely pointless.Just means you get loads of midweek games as result and causes fixture congestion if one or two games need to be rescheduled.
Scottish football is an absolute farce.

As pointed out the winter break is a player one as it voted for when the dicedined to revamped the League Cup and start in mid-July for all team except those in Europe action, even those still get the benefit of it

Nothing to do with the weather

But of course it moves 3 matchday to elsewhere in the season and that use available midweeks

Yes. The players would not be so tired if they were not playing so many midweek matches, which they need to do because of the break.

If it was predictable that all the bad weather would occur during the Winter break then it would be a good idea.
However, that's not the case and as a consequence can lead to a compressed schedule of games during a period when there is bad weather.
Thus it is better to have the games spread out over the whole period when bad weather can occur.

Yes. Winter weather here lasts 4-5 months. No idea when the worst of it is going to fall. The same amount of games will be played, just in a longer period of time.

Our weather is so unpredictable we could have the winter break in March and we could still have cancellations

Weather in January is usually mild getting worse in February/March. Play through to save space for postponed games to be replayed as required

What would be better is putting Internationals back to a Wednesday evening and then there would be scope for a break for the players. In saying that the winter stop seems to put us in to hibernation for the rest of the winter.

Back