Should we be asking to furlough?

I'm sure it will be for those clubs who've furloughed players. Are they not asking these guys to keep fit, for example? Even making phone calls to season ticket holders. That's classed as 'work' according to the Sheep CEO. I'm no lawyer though.

If they are asking the players to work on behalf of their employer then they are abusing the scheme.

Should have already, can’t even suggest what staff are doing at this stage that will add any value?
I am pretty sure you can start the date of furlough from the date people stopped working back to 1st March. You have to get agreement in writing from furloughed employees so maybe we havent announced anything yet but staff will have already commenced their furlough period.
We will furlough for sure, this is a case of survival and we have no idea how long the crisis will last.

I am pretty sure you can start the date of furlough from the date people stopped working back to 1st March. You have to get agreement in writing from furloughed employees so maybe we havent announced anything yet but staff will have already commenced their furlough period.
We will furlough for sure, this is a case of survival and we have no idea how long the crisis will last.

You can do it even if you made them redundant, so long as it was after the 28th of February.

You can re-hire them and put them straight onto furlough.

There are loads of companies worth far more than us who are, rightly, taking advantage of this Government scheme during these unprecedented times when their income has ground to a halt and the economy is inevitably going to crash. It would be irresponsible of any employer not to take the available steps to protect the business and secure their employees jobs.

So we should be paying Kent and Morelos the guts of 50k per week whilst Maggie from the Ticket Office on a zero hour contract on £8.50 per hour should be furloghed. I think you've got your trousers on back to front
No really
I’m talking about the point being discussed

if you want to talk about players taking reduced wages I can also talk about that
So in brief yes all first team players should be taking a reduced wage

No
Millionaire players should be taking a pay cut to pay these people’s wages
It’s sickening clubs are using this to be honest.

So we should be paying Kent and Morelos the guts of 50k per week whilst Maggie from the Ticket Office on a zero hour contract on £8.50 per hour should be furloghed. I think you've got your trousers on back to front
“Maggie from the ticket office” isn’t working she is sat at home watching re-runs of only fools and horses.

players will still be training and sticking to strict diet plans. It’s not just about 90 mins on a Saturday.

Last edited:
No as with most high profile clubs, playing staff should take substantial (70% or so) cut and that money should pay the non playing staff.
Every English premiership and championship should be doing this as well as us and Celtic

Man Utd took 30% cut. Are you suggesting 70% payment or 70% cut by players ?

Players should be asked to take a significant wage cut, (they couldn't complain when you consider their collective 2020 performance).
As distasteful as some aspects of furlough are, the club need to do whatever it has to survive through the crisis. And, the sooner, the better.
Or, if the board think they can survive without those measures they need to come out damn quick and tell us how.

Our players should be getting minimal pay to avoid staff having to get furlough.

Football players are the greediest most selfish people possibly ever.

Discussions to see if they can possibly take a reduction. Etc etc

Just eff off the lot of them.

“Maggie from the ticket office” isn’t working she is sat at home watching re-runs of only fools and horses.

players will still be training and sticking to strict diet plans. It’s not just about 90 mins on a Saturdat.
And the players can't fund that while they stick to their strict diet plans, it's me and you funding it if the club furlough it. Even if the club decide to do it, be a nice touch for the players to pay the extra 20% peanuts in between their strict dieting

Only matter of time before everyone claims this handout which will bankrupt the country for next 50 year at least

Only matter of time before everyone claims this handout which will bankrupt the country for next 50 year at least

Not doing it, loads of businesses failing and people not having jobs to go back to is more likely to harm the economy.

This is to save the businesses as well as the employees.

Not doing it, loads of businesses failing and people not having jobs to go back to is more likely to harm the economy.

This is to save the businesses as well as the employees.

So do you think every top club in the UK should be claiming £2500 each month for staff or more straight forward reply do you think likes of spurs and Liverpool couldn’t pay there office staff each week for next 12 weeks
No there taking 80% of the government to pay them for 12 weeks while normal working class folk are struggling to get universal credit

So do you think every top club in the UK should be claiming £2500 each month for staff or more straight forward reply do you think likes of spurs and Liverpool couldn’t pay there office staff each week for next 12 weeks
No there taking 80% of the government to pay them for 12 weeks while normal working class folk are struggling to get universal credit

If the staff meet the criteria to go on furlough then yes.

I also think Rangers should be doing it if that helps. If the particular employees meet the criteria obviously.

I don't think other people's universal credit is affected by this, but I could be wrong, I'm not claiming either.

If the staff meet the criteria to go on furlough then yes.

I also think Rangers should be doing it if that helps. If the particular employees meet the criteria obviously.

I don't think other people's universal credit is affected by this, but I could be wrong, I'm not claiming either.

thankfully neither am I but my pension is taking a battering on the markets
I just think if big clubs can afford say 12 weeks @ £300 per week for there staff member then they keep paying them so there’s not a drain on government finances which then could be distributed to ones who really are desperate

If it is true th season ticket go in sale next week then a fair amount of staff can’t be furloughed they will be required to to process the orders

I know we should try and be above doing this but with the mentally challengeds now possibly only having to pay their non playing staff 20% wages they are again gaining a financial advantage as we continue to pay the full wage which of course is the right thing to do. You couldnt mark their neck with a blow torch.

Its also astonishing that hardly any criticism has come their way like some of the elite clubs in England. I shouldnt be surprised though with the compliant mhedia up here. Its beyond sickening.

I hate to say it but should we not also be taking up this option? But if we do then just wait and see the onslaught from the mhedia begin.

It really is a case of a rock & a hard place in these worrying and uncertain times.
We should be asking the players to take a wage cut first.

It’s unacceptable to pay footballers £35,000 per week (100% of their wages) whilst asking for a handout from the government. This is what Celtic are doing.

Our players could reduce their salary by 25% to help cover the wages of non playing staff.

thankfully neither am I but my pension is taking a battering on the markets
I just think if big clubs can afford say 12 weeks @ £300 per week for there staff member then they keep paying them so there’s not a drain on government finances which then could be distributed to ones who really are desperate

And you think other big businesses should do that as well obviously.

Only if it's going to protect jobs.

If we can otherwise afford to pay staff then no.

It's not just free money.
The club are losing revenue hand over fist at the moment and a government scheme is there to help companies who’s business is affected. It might come as a surprise to you but we currently run at a loss being propped up by loans.

Players should be taking cuts first before any lesser paid staff are asked to make sacrifices.

Lots of people are misunderstanding the furlough option.

The clubs (any employer) can top up the 80% funded by government for furloughed staff. Indeed to pay less than 100% the employee has to agree to it. If they do this no one is losing out.

There is £2,500 monthly cap. Therefore for any admin or other staff earning less than £37,500 per annum the club would only need to pay the final 20% or £625 pm. It obviously becomes more expensive to fund the gap between the cap and actual salary for those earning considerably more. (Also slightly more complicated than that because cap has to cover employer NIC and pension.)

You can backdate but only to a date where staff were notified and put on/agreed to go on furlough. You can’t just go back to 1 March if they’ve been working since then.

We should be asking the players to take a wage cut first.

It’s unacceptable to pay footballers £35,000 per week (100% of their wages) whilst asking for a handout from the government. This is what Celtic are doing.

Our players could reduce their salary by 25% to help cover the wages of non playing staff.

I assume given the EPL quotes today the aim should be for a collective approach in Scotland too. Trouble in England seems to be players happy to “reduce” by donating cash to nhs etc. Clubs however want to see the savings due to their own loss of income and potentially larger losses if broadcasting money has to be refunded if season incomplete.

Of course we should. The cost of furloughing over the next 3 months are going to be clawed back through Corporation Tax, PAYE and Income Tax hikes over the next few years and that will be for ALL companies. We will be paying for other companies furloughing and we should absolutely take advantage, the alternative is being reliant on boardroom members giving us soft loans to be converted to shares.

That doesn't mean that we can't at the same time top up the 20% off staff wages not covered by furloughing and also ask players to take a significant wage cut. Realistically the wheels should long be in motion by the club, football is not coming back for at least a few months, we need to be sensible.

You can backdate but only to a date where staff were notified and put on/agreed to go on furlough. You can’t just go back to 1 March if they’ve been working since then.
The govt guidance is clear that the claim is from the day you are furloughed not the date you are notified and can be backdated to the date you stopped working.

Free for now but the taxpayer will have to fund it in the future which is fine and makes perfect sense. Everyone benefiting now, both employees and companies will have to pay more tax in the future to help repay the debt.
If it's free for now then it's free.
As for taxpayers footing the bill later, where do you think the money came from in the first place, the taxpayer. Governments don't have money, it's all ours.
Just now is when it is needed most

No.

We’re better than that.

When all this is over we’ll emerge from the other side as one of the only clubs to keep our dignity intact.

Leave the begging to the beggars.
i agree with what you're saying, but, as we have found out to our cost , being the good guy doesn't mean f&ck all when we are dealing with the scum of the earth who will laugh up their sleeves at us for being mugs!! While they despise being British but are the 1st to have their grubby paws out!

i agree with what you're saying, but, as we have found out to our cost , being the good guy doesn't mean f&ck all when we are dealing with the scum of the earth who will laugh up their sleeves at us for being mugs!! While they despise being British but are the 1st to have their grubby paws out!
Couldnt agree more. Lets remember it is us, yes us, paying the Celtic non playing staffs wage bill whilst we struggle on unaided!

Plenty in here have changed their tune. I was chastised when I said what they've done make proper business sense.

We should and will be doing it. I fully expect the players to take a cut ~30% on both sides also.

If it's free for now then it's free.
As for taxpayers footing the bill later, where do you think the money came from in the first place, the taxpayer. Governments don't have money, it's all ours.
Just now is when it is needed most
I think we are trying to make the same point.
I agree governments don’t have money but at this time they are borrowing the money and increasing the national debt to fund the crisis.
The taxpayer will ultimately pay for it which is normal.

Would love to see the players, management snd execs make extraordinary gestures to protect the salaries of the ‘normal’ employees.

If a club like Liverpool can't pay its players and needs the public to do so then they should be banned from the transfer market when football resumes. Seeing them claim government handouts while simultaneously being linked with a 50 million quid striker from the Bundesliga is disgusting.

The exact same thing goes for Newcastle, Spurs and Celtic. This scheme is not for football clubs.

I am watching clubs with the resources of Liverpool and Spurs who will continue to pay some people over £100k a week claiming handouts back from the government and it utterly appals me. Slightly lesser in Scotland but ‘they’ should be ashamed of themselves and we should not be doing it either.

I have no problem with clubs whose salaries are more in line with most companies doing it to keep their business afloat, others who just think ‘here’s access to some free money, let’s have it’ are disgraceful.

if Liverpool were adversely affected by this, they could sell 1 player and cover it, they wouldn’t be forced into redundancies on the non-playing side.

Government handouts being taken by super-rich football clubs is appalling.

Players taking a 10% wage cut would pay all the other staffs wages. I hope that’s the route we go down. I would be disappointed in the club if they chose the morally bankrupt route

Back