Should we be interested in Greg Taylor?

I thought he looked decent enough last night, was one of Scotland's better performers - not saying much, but no shame in pitching up against Belgium in your International debut and looking OK.

It would be good to sign him just to watch Clarke drop him from his international squad because of who he played for.

Probably a no however it's worth remembering that Sir Watty's team in the 90s had full backs signed from Aberdeen and Dundee Hibs (Robertson, Wright, Cleland etc).

How many times do people have to keep using this shite argument to try and prove a point.

Boyd and Naismith from killie - won leagues
Thomson Whittaker from Hibs- won leagues, UEFA final
Cannigia Novo from Dundee - won leagues got us to UEFA final.

So having an argument saying signing players from spl clubs wont win us titles is just utter shite end of. We have won with them our entire history and will continue to do so.
That wasn’t my argument. It was the fact we’ve been linked to half the Killie team.

The only player we have from the SPFL who wouldn’t look out of place in the teams that Naismith, Boyd, Thomson & co played in is Kamara. The level of players in this league has dropped significantly.

Reactions: cav
Thought he done ok last night. Decent player, isn’t good enough to take us forward.

Also was told a story about him during a game laughing and asking a player what his basic wage was. Since then I’ve thought the guy is a fucking knob.

Taylor would be an upgrade on what we have at left back at present. Not sure if he offers enough going forward but the formation we ended the season with doesn't rely on both fullbacks being so attack minded

Barasic can't be relied on, there is something not right with him, whether the scottish game is to fast/physical or it is something else I don't know but I don't see him stringing 10/15/20 games together. Taylor didn't do much wrong last night would have liked to have seen him drive forward a bit more a number of times there as space in front of him but he turned back and played it back to the CB'S not sure if it was just because it was his debut or he is like that for Killie

He had a good game last night considering who he was up against.
But for me he doesn’t do enough going forward.

LB is a position where we are shockingly weak at the moment. I wouldn’t be against signing Taylor for this reason alone, probably with another so we actually have some cover.
Slightly off topic- do we have any promising youths coming through on that position currently?

Young guy still has potential. Has played a lot of games and can do play on plastic parks. Doesnt seem to get injured. If we can get him at a decent price he would be a good addition to the squad.

Greg Taylor possibly wouldn't have won us 55, but the 1 million plus we might have saved on him rather than Barisic going on another player might have.

Whether he plays for Scotland or not, my personal opinion is that he's not near ready to wear our jersey.
The boy's a long way to go before he matures into a top player.

Whether he plays for Scotland or not, my personal opinion is that he's not near ready to wear our jersey.
The boy's a long way to go before he matures into a top player.

I doubt he will ever become a top player in all honesty, in many ways that's an observation that could be leveled at about 98% of our current squad.

I don't think it puts them in an exclusive club though, Rangers (and they) have won loads of things in Scotland without squads packed entirely and exclusively with top players.

I think he looks pretty decent in all honesty, I could easily see a situation where a player of his ilk plays 30 odd games for a league winning team in Scotland.

Assuming Barisic doesn’t find his form again, he’d be the best left back at the club.

Flanagan not having a left foot is painfully obvious when we attack down that side too

Flanagan's still a better player, and has far more experience than that kid. The boy's a fair bit to go, before he can hold down a first team place, if he ever signed for us.

Keep saying it, but the last seven games of the season have (worryingly) rewritten history in regards to Flanagan.

He’s not good enough to be our first choice left back all season.

Keep saying it, but the last seven games of the season have (worryingly) rewritten history in regards to Flanagan.

He’s not good enough to be our first choice left back all season.

He's better defensively than Taylor. Still don't think Flanagan is good enough to be our number 1 left back.

He's better defensively than Taylor. Still don't think Flanagan is good enough to be our number 1 left back.

Better defensively because he rarely attacks.

Having a right footed left back who rarely goes forward isn’t what we’re after next year, surely?

Having a right footed left back who rarely goes forward isn’t what we’re after next year, surely?

Taylor isn't exactly a good attacking outlet either. Flanagan is solid when called upon. Like I said in my previous post, not good enough to be our first choice left back throughout a whole season.

Neither of them are good going forward, and neither of them are good enough to start for us.

I’d assume Gerrard knows Flanagan can’t be relied on, considering the amount of times he had to hook him.

Haven't read every post in this so sorry if someone else already said this: Our biggest problem by a very long way is scoring against sides that sit in. We sort that out and our current options at left back will be more than adequate for a serious run at the title. Taylor does not look (to me) like a significant improvement over the three irregular LBs we already have - just another player at a similar level.

I'd be absolutely fine with Flanagan starting the season at left back for us. Especially if he was able to shed another half a stone / stone in preseason and get himself even fitter again. The last 7 games are clouding peoples judgement? What about the first part of the season when he was more than decent in our run to the Europa League Group stages? He also turned in some decent performances in the group phase as well.

Is it ideal to have a right footer at left back? No

Would I like someone better and more of an attacking threat? Yes, of course.

But I wouldn't be going and wasting money on someone just for the sake of it. Papac was hardly Jordi Alba when it came to his attacking prowess.

In recent weeks there have been posts about Eric Caldow and David Provan, two guys who were brought through the ranks and gave Rangers excellent service in the left-back position. Greg Taylor seems to be no more than a decent player and it would be disappointing, if we didn’t have some young fellow, already on our staff, who could be given the opportunity to provide whatever, Greg Taylor could offer.

In recent weeks there have been posts about Eric Caldow and David Provan, two guys who were brought through the ranks and gave Rangers excellent service in the left-back position. Greg Taylor seems to be no more than a decent player and it would be disappointing, if we didn’t have some young fellow, already on our staff, who could be given the opportunity to provide whatever, Greg Taylor could offer.
Greg Taylor did come through our ranks though until we got rid of him for being too small.

For what it’s worth I like Taylor. I think he’s solid and reliable and would be a better option than Flanagan at LB.

Flanagan limits our ability going forward by not having a left foot.

Back