Should we give Defoe more game time?

I do wonder why he is still a player coach if he doesn’t make the bench today. Unless it is purely a Davie Dodds player role if we are proper struggling.

He'd score at least one of those chances today that's for sure. Can't see him getting any game time this season unless we have a good few injuries, especially given the rule change for number of subs this season.

Still injured is he not or just back in training and even then if he’s playing he won’t be getting the supply to score. Attacking play is too slow and easy to read if your the opposition, you know it’s going out wide before it’s in box.

He looked poor in pre-season, since then he seems to have taken a step back.

Time catches up with all players.

McGregor, Davis and Defoe have some serious miles in their legs to go with their age, to be relying on 2 out of that 3 after the magnificent season we had last season, is a slight worry.

Will he be more likely to take a shot instead of succumbing to the old, bad habit of trying to walk the ball into the net? Yes. Without a doubt in my mind. It could just offer the spark that we need.

That said though, if others have observed that he’s now effectively retired due to him looking short of sharpness because of Father Time catching up, then maybe playing him ahead of another striker could be counterproductive.

He probably shouldve appeared a few times to keep him ticking over but now hes not kicked a competitive ball for ages, its unlikely hes going to play at all.

He wouldve at least offered some movement which couldve opened things up around the box if not for him then someone else.

The way he spoke at the end of the season and in preseason,Also with the amount of game time he got in the summer I think he expected to still be playing.

The guy should be on the bench from now on (at least). The standard of shooting from our team is deplorable at this level. We do have a player who is brilliant at finishing.

I think that is harsh or at least not a fair comparison. There isn’t many team who have to strike at goal through not only literally 11 opponents in the way, but also their own players who happen to be ahead of them. I don’t believe even the top top strikers in the world score many against teams who have 11 men inside their own box.

That’s me referring to shots from outside or on the edge of the box. If you’re talking about finishing off moves where it just requires a quality finish then I agree to a point.

Defoe showed against the filth at Ibrox how good a finisher he was. He's not deteriorated that much in 6 months that he's unable to play against the likes of Motherwell defenders. He should be on the bench.

Yes. Was Morelos only fit for 15 minutes today or was it just bad management not changing things sooner again?

No not for me last season should have been the last as a player for us given he was phased out of the side. He's been a great servant for us since he's came but we shouldn't have been going into this season with Defoe as an option it should have been as a coach only.

Nope, one of the reasons we're faltering is the manager's reluctance to use his squad. We need to prioritise goals over stale possession before anything else.

His best days are well behind him.

We must have spent a small fortune on his wages over the last couple of years, that money could have been better spent on younger players who would have resale value.

As much as I like Defoe he should be for emergencies only(and I hope he stays as coach)

Hearts it was last season I think, he was easily outpaced for what would normally have been a routine shot on target/goal, right there I got why he wasn't playing more regular.

If he’s fit then he should be in the squads imo, think we were counting on the 5 subs being in place again this season though.

He’s the best finisher we have

I reckon he would’ve scored yesterday from one of those attacks when balls went astray in the box.

I think we'll see more of him later on in the season when the fixtures start to pile up. He'll still be useful.

Right now it's better for us to bed in Sakala and the other new boys.

Looks to me like his playing career is essentially over and that he is now a coach. It’s a shame as he is still a great finisher

Back