Should we have been more combatative on the disciplinary issue?

DougieJones

Firstly, it’s too late now - we’ve held our hands up and said sorry everyone for being naughty boys, we'll try to sort it out.

My question though is, is this the right stance? Can you imagine Rodgers, Lennon et al capitulating like this? Surely we should be fighting these ridiculous yellow cards that are being dished out to us willy nilly? I find it farcical that thuggish teams like Motherwell have better disciplinary records than us and I’d like the club to point this out. Not one player has been injured by our team this season, yet 8 red cards? I want refs to think twice every time they book one of our players the way they do with Celtic or Hibs. With us it’s a case of the ref thinking, no problem, the club accept they have an issue, nothing to do with me.

I would say only a couple of those reds have been justified - Arfield and McCrorie. The Morelos ones have all involved a yellow card that no-one else would receive. Take Lafferty’s antics on Wednesday - do you think AM would have avoided a second yellow? Ditto Shinnies tackle.

In short, let’s start calling out dodgy decisions, not keep apologising for them

Last edited:
This conversation begins and ends with one man who refuses to listen or learn and who costs us games.

We should be tougher on him.

This conversation begins and ends with one man who refuses to listen or learn and who costs us games.

We should be tougher on him.
I'm don't usually get misty eyed about the so called "hard man" managers of the past. But we could with Archie Knox in that dressing room just now with Morelos. He'd be shitting himself to get booked never mind play the madam on a yellow.

Gerrard should have switched the attack back at these claims of discipline problems and carefully broke down the decisions that have went against us.

The club released a statement about Collum , yet we do / say nothing about the tackle on coulibaly at hearts which should’ve had their player sent off , didn’t even get a yellow!!

I have a feeling that Rangers are playing the game on this in an attempt to maybe get the benefit of doubt on decisions.

I should’ve added - Jock Wallace, Graham Souness, Walter Smith, Dick Advocaat, Alex McLeish - would any of these managers have adopted a ‘we’re sorry, it’s our fault’ stance? No way, they would have fought every single sending off tooth and nail.

Re Morelos, the first booking against sheep was a nonsense. A booking should either be for violent play, preventing a goal scoring opportunity, serious dissent or persistent fouling. This incident fell in to none of these categories. It was purely an evening up exercise by McLean, safe in the knowledge he could send Morelos off later on and nothing would come back on him.

It doesn’t matter who the manager is, we can all play like saints but at the end of the day we cannot control what the referee does.

We have already seen that in many games the decisions that go against us regarding fouls, yellow and red cards are not given to opposition players for similar infringements.

Until that happens with regularity I’ll be cutting our players some slack in that department.

However, stupidity is one thing that can be addressed.

We really need to start boxing clever TBH. Some of the red cards have been beyond belief (Candeias at St Mirren) but others have been dished out because of complete stupidity on our players part. Arfield flying in recklessly last week is on him and no one else IMO. Morelos flinging his hand in Shinnie's face is on him.

Firstly, it’s too late now - we’ve held our hands up and said sorry everyone for being naughty boys, we'll try to sort it out.

My question though is, is this the right stance? Can you imagine Rodgers, Lennon et al capitulating like this? Surely we should be fighting these ridiculous yellow cards that are being dished out to us willy nilly? I find it farcical that thuggish teams like Motherwell have better disciplinary records than us and I’d like the club to point this out. Not one player has been injured by our team this season, yet 8 red cards? I want refs to think twice every time they book one of our players the way they do with Celtic or Hibs. With us it’s a case of the ref thinking, no problem, the club accept they have a problem, nothing to do with me.

I would say only a couple of those reds have been justified - Arfield and McCrorie. The Morelos ones have all involved a yellow card that no-one else would receive. Take Lafferty’s antics on Wednesday - do you think AM would have avoided a second yellow? Ditto Shinnies tackle.

In short, let’s start calling out dodgy decisions, not keep apologising for them
Fight everything, admit nothing, dispute, deflect, obfuscate and accuse at every turn.
It certainly has worked elsewhere.

Dignity and decency doesn't make you friends in Scottish Football.
Instead it encourages our enemies and makes us look like mugs to be scorned and abused.

And the other 5 reds, no conversation on them?

Players get sent off. Arfield I would honestly put down to playing on the front foot under pressure, nothing malicious. McCrorie inexperience.

We have a serial manchild with a serious attitude problem.

He accepted a twice enhanced, seasoned professional level of contract. It’s about time he started fulfilling it.

Any neutral looking at our red and yellow card record would imagine we're a hybrid of Motherwell / Wimbledon cloggers, which is just ridiculous. We're being reffed differently to other teams, especially Alfie.

We need to be more combative on disciplinary issues when it's clear the decision was wrong. However, for the times where our players got sent off for something stupid or just their own reckless behaviour that we need to get a lot harder on our players. Fines and guaranteed to be dropped to the bench or worse - trouble is, the main trouble point is one of our best players and doesn't really have a good enough replacement.

We are reffed differently however that doesn't excuse Alfredo's stupidity on Wednesday. It sounds to me like we've accepted the SFAs position.

My question though is, is this the right stance? Can you imagine Rodgers, Lennon et al capitulating like this? Surely we should be fighting these ridiculous yellow cards that are being dished out to us willy nilly? I find it farcical that thuggish teams like Motherwell have better disciplinary records than us and I’d like the club to point this out. Not one player has been injured by our team this season, yet 8 red cards? I want refs to think twice every time they book one of our players the way they do with Celtic or Hibs. With us it’s a case of the ref thinking, no problem, the club accept they have an issue, nothing to do with me.

Its the wrong decision for me and I've said as much on the thread about Alfie and Stevie G. With regards Alfie, he's being labelled a dirty player and is a marked man and that's because he's our "star player" and they all went rid of him.

He especially gets booked for backchat to refs whilst others can do the same and nothing happens to them. We as a club should show examples of the poor decisions from refs this season and Alfie being booked for certain incidents whilst others are basically booting the crap out of him and nothing is happening to these players.

Its alright the manager sticking up for Alfie the other wk but its a mixed message when he is sent off again and the first yellow is never a yellow and then we have both the manager and assistant manager saying Alfie has a discipline problem ! For me the lad has no discipline problem and instead is so frustrated that Refs are not doing their job equally and fairly .

We should at a press conference just address this matter once and demand refs show equality all in the name of sporting integrity ..of course!

Arfield. Deserved.
McCrorie. Deserved
Morelos. Sheep away. Undeserved
Morelos. Sheep home. Deserved.
Candeias. St Mirren. Outrageous and undeserved.

Who were the other two? I’m losing track there’s been so many FFS :D

We're too quick to blame referees for wrong decisions, although we've had more than our share. However, too many wrong decisions by the players have given refs a decision to make. The players have to get a grip on their own discipline - a fact fully accepted by SG and GM, both of whom were pretty competitive in their day. I love Alfie but I just knew on Wednesday, not for the first time this season, that he would get a second yellow. He walks a dangerous line and too often gets it wrong. Scottish refs are deservedly being criticised but we ain't the only club complaining and 4 clubs have more yellows this season than us. I've seen a load of bad decisions this season not involving us. On top of that, of our 8 reds this season, 3 were in the EL. We can't blame Scottish refs for that.

We're too quick to blame referees for wrong decisions, although we've had more than our share. However, too many wrong decisions by the players have given refs a decision to make. The players have to get a grip on their own discipline - a fact fully accepted by SG and GM, both of whom were pretty competitive in their day. I love Alfie but I just knew on Wednesday, not for the first time this season, that he would get a second yellow. He walks a dangerous line and too often gets it wrong. Scottish refs are deservedly being criticised but we ain't the only club complaining and 4 clubs have more yellows this season than us. I've seen a load of bad decisions this season not involving us. On top of that, of our 8 reds this season, 3 were in the EL. We can't blame Scottish refs for that.

Do you think all players get treated the same as Alfie and our players do?

Players get sent off. Arfield I would honestly put down to playing on the front foot under pressure, nothing malicious. McCrorie inexperience.

We have a serial manchild with a serious attitude problem.

He accepted a twice enhanced, seasoned professional level of contract. It’s about time he started fulfilling it.
The OP is about just admitting the team have a disciplinary problem and whether we should have fought our corner.

So I can't see where the conversation starts and ends with Morelos?

You've actually highlighted this, by emphasising those two cases.

Imo we should've hammered Morelos in private.

Then something like, in a press conference hit back with how we have played the most games in Europe than any SPL team and those sending off were ridiculous so it is not comparing like for like.
Then asked if anyone feels Candeias second booking was deserved against St Mirren.

So that leaves a rescinded red card, and three more which is not indication of a huge disciplinary problem.

Any neutral looking at our red and yellow card record would imagine we're a hybrid of Motherwell / Wimbledon cloggers, which is just ridiculous. We're being reffed differently to other teams, especially Alfie.

If this isn't by now obvious then I don't know what it will take to open people's eyes.

Arfield. Deserved.
McCrorie. Deserved
Morelos. Sheep away. Undeserved
Morelos. Sheep home. Deserved.
Candeias. St Mirren. Outrageous and undeserved.

Who were the other two? I’m losing track there’s been so many FFS :D
Think it was Flanagan and Morelos vs UFA

Do you think all players get treated the same as Alfie and our players do?

Not always but referees have never treated all players the same. As I said, Alfie walks a dangerous line and his constant moaning at referees doesn't help. SG usually calls it the way he sees it. And we have the 3 reds in the EL.

Back