Should we have been playing two friendlies tomorrow?

foreverblue

Official Ticketer
Looking down my flashscores app I notice a lot of the German and Dutch teams (also on winter break) are playing two games against two opposition on the same day. I know this is pretty common for these clubs during summer and winter breaks but i've never seen UK clubs practising this.

With the current size of our squad and also the lack of minutes in a lot of provincial players legs, should we have not had another friendly against a lesser opposition (maybe a UAE league club) and fielded a different team? I can see probably two XI's getting 45mins each tomorrow but is that really going to benefit the players really who need minutes in there legs?

I realise the benches wouldn't be stacked but maybe another 1 or 2 youth players being out there would've allowed this...

For example:
Starting XI vs Lokomotiv Tashkent: McGregor, Tav, Katic, Goldson, Borna, Jack, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Kent, Defoe
Bench: Firth, Patterson, Barjonas, Mebude

Starting XI vs UAE team: Foderingham, Flannigan, Mayo, Edmundson, Halliday, Doc, Arfield, Stewart, Murphy, Jones, Morelos
Bench: Wright, Kennedy, Barker, Ojo

Probably not, its a short break, not really much different from an international break so no need.

But look how slow out the traps we were last year versus HJK and then Killie away after the same break?
Were we really slow out of the traps against Kilmarnock? We hit the post with a Morelos header after about 20 minutes to go 2-0 up.

We threw the game away with mistakes from Worral and McGregor (often overlooked).

Were we really slow out of the traps against Kilmarnock? We hit the post with a Morelos header after about 20 minutes to go 2-0 up.

We threw the game away with mistakes from Worral and McGregor (often overlooked).

We were leggy as feck and never looked like winning the game in the second half, we didn't even threaten from memory once they equalised....

We were leggy as feck and never looked like winning the game in the second half, we didn't even threaten from memory once they equalised

A bit like our 2 draws this year without a break.

Looking down my flashscores app I notice a lot of the German and Dutch teams (also on winter break) are playing two games against two opposition on the same day. I know this is pretty common for these clubs during summer and winter breaks but i've never seen UK clubs practising this.

With the current size of our squad and also the lack of minutes in a lot of provincial players legs, should we have not had another friendly against a lesser opposition (maybe a UAE league club) and fielded a different team? I can see probably two XI's getting 45mins each tomorrow but is that really going to benefit the players really who need minutes in there legs?

I realise the benches wouldn't be stacked but maybe another 1 or 2 youth players being out there would've allowed this...

For example:
Starting XI vs Lokomotiv Tashkent: McGregor, Tav, Katic, Goldson, Borna, Jack, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Kent, Defoe
Bench: Firth, Patterson, Barjonas, Mebude

Starting XI vs UAE team: Foderingham, Flannigan, Mayo, Edmundson, Halliday, Doc, Arfield, Stewart, Murphy, Jones, Morelos
Bench: Wright, Kennedy, Barker, Ojo

With the double training sessions we're currently doing, it would be a sure fire way to pick up a muscle injury through fatigue by having everyone playing 90 minutes tomorrow mate.

This training camp is like a mini pre season and it's all about building up our aerobic endurance base.

45 minutes each will tkeep the players sharp, without risking injury.

Thought Gerrard said two teams 45 mins each in an interview. I know it’s not two full games but there is a game on Friday which can get some football into their legs as well.

Bundesliga and Eredivisie teams finished a week before us. We played two proper fixtures after they had finished for their break. Their levels and what they need will be different to ours.

I don't really have any doubts about our staff managing our fitness levels. We currently look as fit as I've seen a Rangers team, whilst navigating a fixture schedule that's been jam packed.

No one is just fine if they feel a game should take place

Just been 2 weeks since out last game

Both the Dutch and German Leagues haven't been played since weekend of 21st December which we had 2 additional games since then

We were leggy as feck and never looked like winning the game in the second half, we didn't even threaten from memory once they equalised....

Aside from the replay last season, just about every Killie game recently has played out like that so I'm not buying that the break played any part. Killie are a fit side that are effective at what they do and we always find it tough to break them down. You're overthinking it mate, the players need a rest.

I'm not splitting hairs folks, just an observation from what other elite clubs with winter breaks are doing so all fair points.

I'm just thinking that I cannot see Tav, Kent etc playing against Stranraer so is 45mins tomorrow between 29th December and 22nd January enough?

Plus there is gonna be 8 players tomorrow who won't get much if any minutes who will probs be a bit cheesed off, lacking match fitness

I'm not splitting hairs folks, just an observation from what other elite clubs with winter breaks are doing so all fair points.

I'm just thinking that I cannot see Tav, Kent etc playing against Stranraer so is 45mins tomorrow between 29th December and 22nd January enough?

Plus there is gonna be 8 players tomorrow who won't get much if any minutes who will probs be a bit cheesed off, lacking match fitness

Our strongest team will 100% start v Stranraer mate.

Gerrard will be wanting his 1st team fully tuned for the league restarting.

A different XI in each half is fine. No need for any of them to be playing longer than 45 in a meaningless game in a temperature they're not used to after almost a week of hard work.

The players need the rest from constant games. 1 is enough and then they'll go back to nearly bi weekly matches.

Back