Should we not be strengthening in this transfer window?

Laudrup11Cooper

They say…whoever they are, that you always should be strengthening when you are in a position of power.We are still, in the driving seat to win this league.Not to mention still in Europe and all to play for in the Scottish Cup.
So for arguments sake should we not be strengthening in this window?
A lot ……at stake this season.

We won’t win the league if we don’t. Simple as that. Celtic have the strength in depth to get it over the line.
Absolute rubbish, what they do have is cheating officials. Otherwise we are better than then all over the pitch and showed it in the cup final and the last game vs then. Lennon's scattergun approach for over priced poor players like that shite Pole who seems like a hugely over priced project are hardly changing that, more likely to bring more disharmony with their over paid, bloated squad. Especially with Thumb there competing with him for a place in the team.

If we strengthen great, we strengthen but I'd trust in Gerrard's decisions, we are more than good enough to do the job as is.

Last edited:
There is a fine balance to be had in not disrupting the dressing room to be considered too.

We got to the winter break ahead (game in hand taken as a win) and have a largely settled squad that is consistently getting results domestically and in Europe. I feel that with the January window being traditionally hard to recruit well in, the league table, our wage bill and our current strength, we are probably talking biggish money to bring in players who will make a difference to the season. With that in mind, I would not be surprised to see very little in the way of transfers in.

Absolute rubbish, what they do have is cheating officials. Otherwise we are better than then all over the pitch and showed it in the cup final and the last game vs then. Lennon's scattergun approach for over priced poor players like that shits Pole are hardly changing that, more likely to bring he more disharmony with their over paid, bloated squad.

There is a fine balance to be had in not disrupting the dressing room to be considered too.

We got to the winter break ahead (game in hand taken as a win) and have a largely settled squad that is consistently getting results domestically and in Europe. I feel that with the January window being traditionally hard to recruit well in, the league table, our wage bill and our current strength, we are probably talking biggish money to bring in players who will make a difference to the season. With that in mind, I would not be surprised to see very little in the way of transfers in.
Absolute rubbish, what they do have is cheating officials. Otherwise we are better than then all over the pitch and showed it in the cup final and the last game vs then. Lennon's scattergun approach for over priced poor players like that shits Pole are hardly changing that, more likely to bring he more disharmony with their over paid, bloated squad.
100% correct.

I would like a striker in if possible. But if not got to hope for not much injuries or suspensions. No doubt the hammer throwers will be our trying to injure as many as possible

One more in would be good, a quality player who can play across the front 3. We have a far superior starting 11 than the mhanks however we have seen that when we play 3 or 4 squad players in one game the gulf in quality is huge from our starting 11.

I’d like to bring in another striker and winger. An injury to Morelos/Kent and we are struggling. Defoe won’t be able to play to his best 2 games a week every week and the thought of needing to rely on barker/jones/ojo gives me the fear

Not that easy though is it. The sort of player that comes in and improves the first 11 is probably an out of favour premiership player that is on a lot of wages, or someone we can buy outright but will command a hefty fee.

I’d like an experienced loan striker for cover because we are light in striker options if Alfie gets more suspensions or JD picks up a knock

It’s an insurance policy just in case

Must be someone we could draft in short term

I keep on changing my mind on what we need but ideally we need 2 in a centre mid who can also play a wide 10 role and a striker

No point buying someone just for the sake of it, we really should only be buying someone who is pushing for a starting spot. Prices in January are usually stupid for such players and I'd rather we didn't go the loan route as likely anyone on loan hasn't been playing and they would need time to settle.

We should be bringing in players who are better than we have, there is no point bringing people in for the sake of it. We have a squad, we need to add quality to it not more of the same

If we don’t sign anyone we are going to have to hope and pray that we are extremely lucky with injurys and suspensions.

GK, ST & CB are the only positions we have decent options.

a striker would be nice, even a decent loan. i`m not sure defoe is the answer in these games with stubborn defences 11 men behind the ball kind of games, if alfies out.

We do, but not just for the sake of it - A loan til end of season and one signing may suffice??

Absolute rubbish, what they do have is cheating officials. Otherwise we are better than then all over the pitch and showed it in the cup final and the last game vs then. Lennon's scattergun approach for over priced poor players like that shite Pole who seems like a hugely over priced project are hardly changing that, more likely to bring more disharmony with their over paid, bloated squad. Especially with Thumb there competing with him for a place in the team.

If we strengthen great, we strengthen but I'd trust in Gerrard's decisions, we are more than good enough to do the job as is.

We have a better 1 to 11 than them no doubt however squad wise we are a bit thin in places especially when fighting it out in 3 competitions at the same time.

We get injuries to a few key players and we are bringing in guys like Barker, Ojo and Flanagan that's a big drop in quality from Kent,
Barisic and Aribo.

I think we should be looking for Alfies replacement now so it gives him 6 months to get settled in for when we sell Alfie in the summer

A good point also. But if it’s at the expense of strengthening where we really need to to win the league then it’s a no.

I think we should be looking for Alfies replacement now so it gives him 6 months to get settled in for when we sell Alfie in the summer
Ideally this would be the case,I’d try someone like Prevljak on loan with an option to buy- but deals like that are probably like hens teeth.

I don’t envy the staff trying to get someone in of the right quality with little budget.

The gaffer has us covered and I expect him to sign one or two loan signings.

Maybe right wing and striker.

I wouldn't be devastated if we didn't sign anyone though. In Stevie G we trust.

For a club with more cash than us it makes perfect sense to do exactly that. Unless we are looking for another bargain to develop though, we will be able to bring in significantly better once he is sold and that makes it worth waiting for me. Defoe signing on gives us more time to help a new guy settle in so I doubt we will see his replacement before the summer, assuming he is sold.

Reactions: cav
For a club with more cash than us it makes perfect sense to do exactly that. Unless we are looking for another bargain to develop though, we will be able to bring in significantly better once he is sold and that makes it worth waiting for me. Defoe signing on gives us more time to help a new guy settle in so I doubt we will see his replacement before the summer, assuming he is sold.
Yip,unless we pull a bit of a miracle out of a hat and get someone in that's out of favour at their current club on loan with a deal to buy in the summer-I doubt we can afford to get someone of suitable quality in this window who's viewed as a replacement for Alfie.
Even then,players like that are usually on big wages and need to be sold to come to the sphell.
There's only so much SG can do with that.

Yes we do. All this talk of being happy with what we have I don't get. Our bench is very average at best. And we have four capable midfielders for three positions. We are two or three injuries and suspensions away from crisis. Are we really gonna put 55 and our great start to the season at risk for the sake of not making two or three signings? That would be a huge mistake.

If a team like Liverpool still feel like they need to strengthen so should we. This complacency is very dangerous.

Liam Boyce at £150k and 6 grand a week wages would have been a decent cheap 3rd choice striker for me. Especially given Morelos will likely be off in the summer.

Agree with the people questioning the squad depth but think it would be difficult and unrealistic to expect us to be spending millions on first choice players in this window without some key player going out the door to fund it.

We could do with 2 quality additions at the very least.

A game changing forward maybe even someone who can play either side of Morelos. Priority signing.

A dynamic creative midfielder something different to what we already have possibly a go to player from the bench.

There is 13 or 14 players Gerrard can trust and it's a certainty those same players will be tasked at going to distance this season but two quality signings could be the difference and the boost we need.

The window has been quiet for almost eveyone. Its showing i think clubs who are desperate are in the market.

Would be great to strengthen, particularly in back up up front, in midfield and to the wingbacks. But not always easy to do and we certainly don’t just need numbers up front as we have several players just not many good enough.

Ideally we strengthen with players of first team contention to force current starters to the bench. But that costs a lot, especially in January and we don’t necessarily have cash to burn.

I’d love a genuine class signing for midfield or right wing and think that would really help us press on to win the league. But I’d understand if we can’t or if such a player just isn’t available in January.

Back