Should we prioritise the league over Europe this season?

Super Ally Does It Again

I think the league is there for us this season my worry is that the Thursday Sunday routine takes its toll on the team and would be a distraction we could do without.

We won’t get a better shot imo of winning the league and I would be going all out for the league.

I know the glamour and extra money is a huge thing for us and the club but I wouldn’t be going all out in Europe I’d use our squad and keep our strongest side for the league.

What way do you lean on this?

Celtic also have European football, so that won't make a difference.

We showed imo last season we can cope with it, it wasn't fatigue that screwed us over.
Like last year we have to qualify for the group stages and anything extra is a nice bonus.

Celtic also have European football, so that won't make a difference.

We showed imo last season we can cope with it, it wasn't fatigue that screwed us over.
Like last year we have to qualify for the group stages and anything extra is a nice bonus.

I slightly disagree it affected us in the first old firm game after Russia the team was shattered and Gerrard admitted he couldn’t d play the way he wanted us too.

It would only become a problem if we start getting to the later stages of the EL, which isn’t gonna happen anyway.

I wouldn’t be against playing a rotated side in Europe if we make the groups.

The players looked dead at points before Christmas last year, they’d been through the mill. The squad is better this year but I’m not convinced we can go at 100% in both league and Europe in every game, without even considering the two cups.

I think the league is there for us this season my worry is that the Thursday Sunday routine takes its toll on the team and would be a distraction we could do without.

We won’t get a better shot imo of winning the league and I would be going all out for the league.

I know the glamour and extra money is a huge thing for us and the club but I wouldn’t be going all out in Europe I’d use our squad and keep our strongest side for the league.

Yes

That would be insane and extremely worrying if qualifying for the group is a "need". Like last season it will be a fantastic bonus if we get there.
Dont think we have to make Europe every year but every 3/4 out of 5 especially last year is was massive when a whole new squad had to be built again. Right now we're 1 for 2 in attempts

We should be looking to win every single game we play. Tactics and team selection should be altered accordingly.

I would be surprised if we are not targeting winning the league and at least making the group stages again.

We need both, a good performance in Europe will further our co-efficient progress which has caused us to start the season so early and therefore have so many matches. It also attracts players to the club, gives some memorable nights to the fans and should be possible to do both.

I’d like to see us really go for it in terms of qualification for group stage, but then if we get there totally prioritise league.

Best of both worlds imo, get the much needed income from qualifying, but don’t run our important players into the ground before Christmas.

Don't think it's the case of one competition over another but using the squad sensibly is the answer

Guarantee me we'll win the league and I'd happily field a weakened team in Europe.

However, nobody can do that so as strong as possible in every game please.

We could face Eintracht Frankfurt then Roma in the last 3 rounds. It can't possibly be a need or a must to get through that.

The only match we suffered in after Europe was mentally challengeds away.

That was after having to see off Ufa with 9 men and flying back from there for a match just over 2 days later.

One game sticks out is Hearts after we horsed Rapid Vienna. That could have beem 5-0 at half time.

We stuttered in December and January when it all caught up with us and the squad seemed to fatigue mentally and physically. There's a seasons experience and conditioning to back us this year. We also have a bigger and more balanced squad.

Bring it all on.

I don’t agree with assertion that you need to pick between them.

I feel that European football only helps your league hopes. Obviously there’s the financial boost. But also playing against different teams and styles is a great learning experience for the players and coaches.

I don’t agree that players need rested as much as fans think. This isn’t football manager. They’d be playing intensely in training if they didn’t have a midweek game. These are elite athletes who can easily perform 60+ times per season. It’s an old school attitude that midweek games hamper anything. Not in today’s game where players are conditioned so much better.

As others have said it’s key to our business plan and it’s also good for the prestige of the club to be back playing decent sides in Europe.

The filth have two chances of group stage football so will probably end up playing a lot of European football as well so no excuses from us on that front.

We look to have a far stronger squad than a year ago and will be able to cope better with these games.

The league is the priority but we're Rangers. We should be looking to try and win every game. The run last year was great. Something similar would be great if we can get a favourable 3rd round draw and take a seeding into the play-off round.

Get to the group stage of Europa and then foot off of the gas with that. We’ll sell the games out anyway so the money will be in the bank. Utilise the fringe players whilst still trying to stick out a competitive side.

The league is number one this season though.

League 100%.

Europe is great & obviously the extra funds that provides is handy but when you consider the implications of winning the league (& subsequent CL chances) over a few extra EL games, it's a no brainer for me.

Naw mate....

If you gave me a guarantee that going out of Europe early will win us the league then i would take that in a heartbeat.

There's absolutely no guarantee though.

We need to be fired and up giving 100% in every competition we enter.

We need the money, that's the long and short of it. Even with 14m Europa League Revenue last season we still ran at a short loss and our wage bill is increasing all the time. Imagine what our losses would look like without European Revenue?

We need access to that Champions League money to complete our recovery on and off the park.

I slightly disagree it affected us in the first old firm game after Russia the team was shattered and Gerrard admitted he couldn’t d play the way he wanted us too.
it didnt help not rotating the squad or even using all his subs that day. Yes we were tired but SG could have done more.

I think with the teams in the pot we are due to play some bigger team.

Saying that we would have knocked out Villareal last season on goal difference. Anything can happen.

We aren't in a position to prioritise anything. We need to be successful in Europe to help us in the long run. As much as stopping their run of titles is important (obviously), the biggest thing for us is building a stronger, self-sustaining club off the park. Having a club to support in 20-30 years is more important than stopping whatever in a row.

I think we should personally.

That being said, the squad is a fair size at the moment with more additions to come, so we “should” have a strong enough squad to cope with it this season by rotating players, if the new guys are good enough.

The problem we had last season was that some of the additions to the squad just didn’t cut it, and forced us into playing with mostly the same first 11.

Back