• No

Votes: 303 46.7%
  • Don’t need him

Votes: 133 20.5%
  • Who?

Votes: 14 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If we were going to sign him then it should have been in the summer. Utd will price him out now and he won't be worth it. Should have picked him up and loaned him out.

No for various reasons

1 he's just signed a deal in the summer with dundee United who won't let him go on the cheap no matter what devision they are in next season.

2 he's failed at spl level before.

3 if he's as good as people say why did nobody pick him up in the summer for nothing. Or if there was interest in him at a higher level was he scared to test himself at that level and took the easy option instead this shows he's lacking in a strong mentality.

4 we should be looking for the next morelos shankland isn't even close to the level morelos was when we signed him

We play against teams who defend for their lives against us, they up their ante big time. Shankland has never really played in that environment, could he handle it? Ask Nicky clark

B2ZfIIA.gif

Do you think that would have made him better?
It certainly wouldn't have been a hinderance. Players become better playing alongside better players.

I'm ambivelant towards Shankland as hardly seen the guy play. His goalscoring record is exceptoional at that level but whether he could make the step up to play for Rangers is the big question, as it is with all signings.

In fairness, I think we have missed the chance to sign him in the summer for buttons.

Last edited:
The boys 24. Provided we got him for <£100/150k then for me its a gamble that we should take.
Ship him down south for a loan spell, if he tears it up, we either have ourselves a player to come back into the squad, or we will recover way more than £100k for a proven goalscorer in the english leagues.
If he doesn't then its hardly a calamity inline with Herrera/Pena/Alves. I would rather we signed potential, than paid the wages of a 10 appearance a season loan move to bulk the squad

Could have been a decent 3rd choice but for a few reasons it doesn't make sense:
  • He's not that young at all at 24.
  • We missed the boat on getting him for free. No point paying DU like £1m+ for him.
  • He'd barely get any game time as we have two better strikers.

Wish we signed him before he went to United and we loaned him back to Ayr. Now I wouldn't give Dundee the money.

I voted NO.....for now.
he is doing well where he is, if we signed him, he'd be 3rd choice at best, behind Defoe and Morelos.
he's better staying there and continuing to improve. If United get promoted (obviously hope they don't) then lets see how he does against tougher opposition.
Would love to see him at Rangers one day, and prove the doubters on here wrong.

Do folk who are giving indepth opinion on how good/not so good he is watch Dundee United regularly to formulate their opinions?

Dont think its stopped you having an opinion on him in the past and lets be honest none of us really have an indepth opinion. If he was spanish or german no one would be saying hawd on a minute nae posts till you show us your season ticket.

Dont think its stopped you having an opinion on him in the past and lets be honest none of us really have an indepth opinion. If he was spanish or german no one would be saying hawd on a minute nae posts till you show us your season ticket.

:D :D :D
I've not offered an indepth opinion of him either way though as I don't watch him regularly. As for the foreigner hint to your post, that just tends to be the way of it for some reason.

I have voted no.

I would have voted yes..... We should have signed him for free in the summer, not necessarily good enough but will score from the bench and in the cup, and would possibly move on for a couple of million.

I would have voted yes.....give a team a half a million for him in January, hes still low risk.

But i voted no - simply as i would not give those rhats a penny.

He will move for decent money eventually and we will have missed out on a profit. What striker would not improve and learn from our current two?

Just heard Derek on SSB a Rangers supporter …call Shankland a dumpling in a dumpling league!
Seriously?

I think we can identify one person at least in this poll.

Like many others I would certainly have signed him for free in the summer.
Now? - for no more than £250k. We’ve got two great strikers at the moment but other than them no-one fully ready to step in if we’re hit by injury or a transfer out.

The boys 24. Provided we got him for <£100/150k then for me its a gamble that we should take.
Ship him down south for a loan spell, if he tears it up, we either have ourselves a player to come back into the squad, or we will recover way more than £100k for a proven goalscorer in the english leagues.
If he doesn't then its hardly a calamity inline with Herrera/Pena/Alves. I would rather we signed potential, than paid the wages of a 10 appearance a season loan move to bulk the squad

You dont seriously believe there is a chance of getting Shankland for 100k ?

Thanks to all who voted.
Overwhelmingly it seems on this poll at least it’s a no.
Fair enough.Just hope you guys are right and it or he…doesn’t come back to bite us…later!

Haven’t really watched him but getting called up to the international squad from the 2nd tier is genuinely impressive no matter how bad Scotland are.

Not really when you see the shite that is in that squad. Full of cloggers and never will be’s.

Having seen Shankland a few times, I do not rate him as a player. Getting goals at that level is nothing to crow about and he would need to do it like he has in the top league for me to even think about it.

Not really when you see the shite that is in that squad. Full of cloggers and never will be’s.

Having seen Shankland a few times, I do not rate him as a player. Getting goals at that level is nothing to crow about and he would need to do it like he has in the top league for me to even think about it.

When hes doing in the top league, id guess theres more chance now it will be a move to english 2nd level when the season ends, but anyway... if he scores in our league for Utd people will just say so what scottish football is crap anyway and start saying hes an Adam Rooney no more than that.

And not saying it was you but plenty of people on here laughed at the idea he would get called up and also the comments from McCoist on the lads performance/ability.

In a couple of years time the lad will get a mention on the serie a football podcast with massimo about a possible link with torino and then and only then can he be called a goalscorer and given credit.

Should have signed him in the summer for free and loaned him out to one of the better SPL sides to take points off the scum while not being able to play against us while establishing himself as an SPL level striker.

Not sure why he annoys people but see when it comes to slagging the boy off id say this is the best one yet. Pound shop nice one.

More to follow though im sure.
He’s scored a load of goals for Ayr and Dundee Utd in the second tier of Scottish football against crap like Arbroath,Queens & Falkirk.

What else I’m I suppose to judge him on?

He’s scored a load of goals for Ayr and Dundee Utd in the second tier of Scottish football against crap like Arbroath,Queens & Falkirk.

What else I’m I suppose to judge him on?

Never said i had a problem with it said it was best line yet.

You could judge him on being a Scotland player which im sure you will if he has a stinker.

Never said i had a problem with it said it was best line yet.

You could judge him on being a Scotland player which im sure you will if he has a stinker.
I genuinely can’t get my head round the idea folk would consider a player like this as a decent option for Rangers.He’s a mid table SPL player playing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football at 24.

I genuinely can’t get my head round the idea folk would consider a player like this as a decent option for Rangers.He’s a mid table SPL player playing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football at 24.

You were probably saying he wasnt premiership level a couple of weeks back.

So you think it would have been crazy for Gerrard to have signed him for free ? or you mean to spend money on Shankland ? i must admit hes gonna cost quite a bit now maybe too much.

24 ? whats wrong with that hes still quite young and without wanting to start on our own players we have signed quite a lot of young guys on loan or frees that are not exactly CL stars.

You were probably saying he wasnt premiership level a couple of weeks back.

So you think it would have been crazy for Gerrard to have signed him for free ? or you mean to spend money on Shankland ? i must admit hes gonna cost quite a bit now maybe too much.

24 ? whats wrong with that hes still quite young and without wanting to start on our own players we have signed quite a lot of young guys on loan or frees that are not exactly CL stars.
A)I’ve always thought he was mid table SPL level.
B)He could be picked up for a relatively small fee.He’s playing for Dundee Utd in the Scottish Championship ffs.:)):oops:

c)Very very few players that are the age he is and have no previous at a higher level(which is still relatively poor)go onto make it big.

d)If Gerrard had of been targeting Ayr Utd’s striker in the summer I’d have been bloody worried about our scouting system and his sanity.

A)I’ve always thought he was mid table SPL level.
B)He could be picked up for a relatively small fee.He’s playing for Dundee Utd in the Scottish Championship ffs.:)):oops:

c)Very very few players that are the age he is and have no previous at a higher level(which is still relatively poor)go onto make it big.

d)If Gerrard had of been targeting Ayr Utd’s striker in the summer I’d have been bloody worried about our scouting system and his sanity.

a/ im sure you have mate dont doubt its on the many threads about the lad.

b/ no chance, d utd need to get back and when they do he will prob have hit about 50 and id guess, only guess, they would value him at around 3m quid. even then.

c/ so what

d/ i was worried that we didnae it seemed one of the most obvious signings in recent years, maybe unfair to pick the lad out im not having a go at him just first one i thought of, whats the difference between signing someone like shankland and jordan jones

b/ no chance, d utd need to get back and when they do he will prob have hit about 50 and id guess, only guess, they would value him at around 3m quid. even then.

c/ so what

d/ i was worried that we didnae it seemed one of the most obvious signings in recent years, maybe unfair to pick the lad out im not having a go at him just first one i thought of, whats the difference between signing someone like shankland and jordan jones
No offence mate but If you think anyone is paying Dundee Utd £3m for Shankland you’re off yer nut!

c/ so what

Ones proven in the top flight,the other isn’t.

Normally a 24 year old striker playing for Scotland should be attracting the eye of Rangers scouts.

However, we do not live in normal times. Not with the National team at least.

Would he have been a better option than giving Ryan Hardie or Zak Rudden their chance?

He's a really good lower league striker. He isnt going to be another Jamie Vardy who makes the jump from the lower leagues to the top flight and thrives.

Back