Should we start Davis on Sunday?

Not for me. IMO he is the type of player to bring on when we're controlling a game but struggling to break down a massed defence. This weekend, we need to dominate the midfield just like last the last time we played them.
Airfield bossed them last time but he hasn't replicated that form since. If he plays then he has to be at the top of his game.

Hell no! Hopefully we don’t see him next season. No where near his best and will never be a league winning team with loans that are past their sell by date. Frankly I don’t see him in our future and struggle to make a case when the league is gone to see him again. Failed loan imho.

It will be a different Celtic we face as Lennon won’t let them play out from the back which got them in so much trouble last time. Plus they’ll have an actual striker up front. This game is made for Defoe and Alfie as they’ll have space to work in. I reckon we’ll see something new on Sunday.

Watched NI games before Davis re-signed for us and again the two games this week.

He looks a completely different player to what we have seen of him in a Rangers jersey this time round.

If he could bring a NI performance on Sunday for us he would be the best midfielder on the pitch.

Not often we agree but you're spot on here. The reason I was excited about him coming back was due to watching him for NI this season, there's no doubt hes still 'got it' but Gerrard has used him totally wrong since coming back. Hes been used in the Arfield role when playing when he should be playing in the Jack or Kamara position.

I like Ryan Jack but nobody will convince me hes a better holding midfielder than Steven Davis.

The people slating him on here clearly haven't watched him playing for NI this season hes been a stand out in pretty much every game for them.

I would fear he would be run ragged by Celtic if he started.
I’d love to see McCrorie play but dropping Kamara out of the team would be tough on him as he has been very decent so far.

McCrorie & Kamara with Arfield in front of them and Kent & Candeias pushing up or dropping back as the game goes?

Everything for Celtic goes through Brown - isolate him and you break their flow.

No thanks. Not seen anything from him that has merited a start, never mind being picked for the bench..

As above.

I just think with his experience in this game and what it means to him it might be worth the risk.

He also had a man of match performance against Belarus in a more defensive midfield role so his confidence will be high.

I would personally start him in place of Jack in the holding midfield role.

What's everyone's thoughts?

.i would play the same midfield as we had against the bead rattlers the last time, we out played them.
I would definately bring in young McCrorie for his his height and strength, and thinking about it maybe we should find a place for Kamara also, as we will also need skill in the central area, against the..imo.

Same team and tactics as the last OF match. It worked for us then and that tactical genius Lemmon will have no answer for it.
The only thing out of our control is the referee who will be on major -mentally challenged gets the benefit of every doubt mode.
Why they wont be playing the same way they set up horribly that day due to injuries and that played into our hands, I think we need to spring a few surprises on them.

Why they wont be playing the same way they set up horribly that day due to injuries and that played into our hands, I think we need to spring a few surprises on them.

Yip. High press won't be as effective if they are playing more direct, they'll just miss out our high press and look to play off second balls then we'll have players high up the park and out of position.

It's about a controlled press for me on Sunday rather than erratic. We need to look to contain them and hit them quickly on the counter attack.

Maybe Davis should be in the starting eleven as we can't start Arfield because John Hartson has said that 'Broony'will be like 'a man on a mission' and is going to teach Arfield a lesson (for his raised arms celebration at Ibrox last time)! And it wouldn't surprise John Hartson if Brown put in a crunching tackle on Arfield early in the game!

This will be a war. It needs people prepared to run battle and fight, instinct is Davis will get lost.

I'd like to see a midfield of Kamara, Arfield and Davis personally! I think the experience and calm he could offer in this match will be vital!

Don't think Davis will start but if he is picked in the starting 11 I have no doubt he will give 100% and we all know he knows.

These Old Firm games recently have been all about “energy” and “bite” in the middle of the park. Come out top on these topics and we’ll stand a good chance of winning the match.

Unfortunately Davis has shown neither “energy” or “bite” for us this time around.

Let’s not pretend Sunday will be anything other than a battle. Get the warriors into the team. The same 11 that beat them last time around.

Same team (or as close as possible) from the 29th if you ask me. High press right into they paedoo, rat b******* from kick off.

I really fear that Steven is not going to bring what we all hoped he would , which is a real shame ! I think that we need to focus on getting the players out there that we are going to have going forward so Jack, McCrorie etc. Should be featuring before him !

It’s a definite NO from me. The Steve Davis of old would have been one of the first name’s on my team sheet. But since his return I have seen nothing that resembles the old player. I have been completely underwhelmed by his performances so far.

As above.

I just think with his experience in this game and what it means to him it might be worth the risk.

He also had a man of match performance against Belarus in a more defensive midfield role so his confidence will be high.

I wouldn't give him a start before Jack or McCrorie in the defensive mid position. I do want it to work out for him but he hasn't shown enough to replace anyone in the middle of the park yet.

Not for me, he isn’t up to it.
I know he maybe isn’t match fit but we have players who are so play them instead.
He wasn’t going to be our answer in the midfield and I think we should play mccrorie before him anyway. The kid is more up for a battle and Brown will get it from young Ross

ok great, what's your picks then? So you dont think they are our three best midfielders then?
Not for a match against Celtic no. Davis’ legs have gone, and Kamara doesn’t have enough physical presence. McCrorie and Arfield first picks. Then it’s a coin toss between Jack and Kamara. Jack more physical, Kamara more forward thinking. Depends on whether we concentrate firstly on not losing. Go Davis, Kamara and Arfield and I guarantee you we are getting a hiding.

Davis is still a very good player . He hardly kick a ball in. Six month before came back so obviously going to take time to get back to his best. International games will help big time. Not saying he should start but to say he’s not good enough for the bench is a poor statement.

Not for a match against Celtic no. Davis’ legs have gone, and Kamara doesn’t have enough physical presence. McCrorie and Arfield first picks. Then it’s a coin toss between Jack and Kamara. Jack more physical, Kamara more forward thinking. Depends on whether we concentrate firstly on not losing. Go Davis, Kamara and Arfield and I guarantee you we are getting a hiding.
Jack has done absaloutly zilch to warrant a place in the starting line up! And as for Davis.. his legs are still there as far as I can see and you obviously dont watch enough of our midfield if you think Kamara has no physical presence, let's agree to disagree on this.

Nope.
Lennon and Brown will have the tim's dressing room at fever pitch for this.
They will want to absolutely destroy us after the Xmas defeat.
We need legs and bite, as another poster said.

We win and the gaffer called it right, lose and he should have listened to the experts on here.
I think Davis will be on the bench and much as he was a great player, I don't see him firing up the dressing room.

Assuming all are fit it would be Arfield, Jack and McCrorie for me.

Candeias & Kent out wide and Alfie up front.

not for me. Davis was a worthwhile low risk gamble which hasnt really worked. Onwards and upwards

I would play him on the right of a narrow midfield four to really tighten the midfield. Something like:

McCrorie
Davis Jack Kamara

I would give Grezda a free role in behind Morelos. Gives us the chance to be solid in the midfield but break with precision and pace (they won’t know what to expect with Grezda).

I would play him on the right of a narrow midfield four to really tighten the midfield. Something like:

McCrorie
Davis Jack Kamara

I would give Grezda a free role in behind Morelos. Gives us the chance to be solid in the midfield but break with precision and pace (they won’t know what to expect with Grezda).

Starting Grezda would be mind boggling.

He has show nothing to merit a start in such a big game.

You say they wont know what to expect from Grezda…..do we?

Jack has done absaloutly zilch to warrant a place in the starting line up! And as for Davis.. his legs are still there as far as I can see and you obviously dont watch enough of our midfield if you think Kamara has no physical presence, let's agree to disagree on this.
I watch plenty mate. All our games. Davis is utterly done. Happy to disagree.

Starting Grezda would be mind boggling.

He has show nothing to merit a start in such a big game.

You say they wont know what to expect from Grezda…..do we?
Grezda is a bit of a maverick admittedly but we don’t get much out of Kent these days and Candeias is the most predictable player of all time, and also largely useless in the final third.

Grezda has a touch of class about him, we have nothing to lose in this game. He could be the number 10 we’ve been crying out for.

As above.

We need to be hi tempo and growling in their faces so Arfield, McCorrie Jack and Kamara for me.

Back