Should whelan have been sent off yesterday

Probably the right call in that decision. I thought he was very lenient throughout but was baffled on the Morelos shoulder to shoulder foul and the big guy up front for Hearts NOT getting booked. The McGregor one was a booking depending on what he actually was bellowing at Clancy.

I've only seen the first half, my brother was at the game and later he said that Ikpeazu was booked on his 14th foul while Morelos was booked on his 3rd. Is that true?

Although he has been red card free this season, there is still no doubt he is being treated differently.

I've only seen the first half, my brother was at the game and later he said that Ikpeazu was booked on his 14th foul while Morelos was booked on his 3rd. Is that true?

Although he has been red card free this season, there is still no doubt he is being treated differently.

I was there (not watched highlights) and Ikpeazu wasn't booked.

Just checked the match report (BBC) and yep, transpires that he wasn't booked despite a warning that suggested he was going to for persistent fouling as Clancy was talking to him and pointing to various areas of the pitch.

Put this another way......

Morelos is away from Hickey...........Good chance of a breakaway.

Does Whelan at ANY time think he is getting that ball? NO!
Is there more chance of him injuring Morelos or getting the ball? Injuring Morelos surely.

I am not saying Whelan went out to injure Morelos - but, he certainly wasn't getting that ball.

So, it should be a red.

That yellow is the same punishment as McGregor got for dissent. Morelos got for BOUNCING the ball and Clare got for booting the ball over the bar...............

And, what was Tav booked for? Fending McLean off? Kop-out by the ref - yellow for NOTHING.ly

Shortly after Clare was booked for booting the ball away - he had a foul which would normally result in a yellow........

When the ref delayed booking White - because he thought it was Whelan - then, that's simply cheating.

Overall, Clancy was very lucky. He didn't have many match changing decisions to make although Rangers should have had one penalty, at least. But I can see why he didn't give either as they were not of the stonewall variety. No other major decisions had to be made, lucky for him.
But the pattern of yellow cards (or non-cards) left a lot to be desired. The bookings of Morelos and, more so, McGregor, were farcical. Contrast to the cynicism of several Hearts players, and the big centre forward who committed so many fouls I lost count (must have been close to double figures) not including the ones he got away with. I actually thought he was booked when Clancy went to him and pointed to several areas of the pitch. He fouled again after that.Both teams ended up with four cards each. those figures show what a poor referee he is. Several of their players made cynical fouls after being booked with no further action taken. Hearts were given free rein to boot Rangers all over the park, and fair play to them, they were good at it.

Spot on.

And Whelan committed 2 yellow card fouls, and was booked only for the first and more obvious one.

Clancy bottled the second and certainly should have booked Ikpeza.

I was there (not watched highlights) and Ikpeazu wasn't booked.

Just checked the match report (BBC) and yep, transpires that he wasn't booked despite a warning that suggested he was going to for persistent fouling as Clancy was talking to him and pointing to various areas of the pitch.

Even worse then.

Spot on.

And Whelan committed 2 yellow card fouls, and was booked only for the first and more obvious one.

Clancy bottled the second and certainly should have booked Ikpeza.

Yeah, I don't think the first one should have been a straight red but agree with the arguments that the laws need addressing on the matter.

However, he should absolutely have been booked a second time minutes after that initial challenge.

Disagree. You'd then be sending players off for clipping someone's heels.

Laws exist for challenges like the one you mention (serious foul play) and they are already red card offences. Just so happens the ref decided not to apply them.

To answer OP the ref got this one right.
Or players would stop deliberately clipping heels to stop counter attacks?

I'm convinced Clancy thought the guy White who hauled Morelos back after that was Whelan at first, and wasn't going to show a yellow card. Seemed to take an age to book him.

To be honest , I don't think it was necessarily a yellow card. It is only a yellow if he commits a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack.
A foul on an opponent in his own half is not usually regarded as such.

To be honest , I don't think it was necessarily a yellow card. It is only a yellow if he commits a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack.
The guy pulled Morelos back after he turned him, and we would have been on the attack. That's a booking all day long.

Or players would stop deliberately clipping heels to stop counter attacks?

They get (or should) get booked for that just now, which is fair imo. A right back breaking, gets clipped, in his own half and it should because straight red?

It's a ludicrous suggestion although in fairness I think the chap that posted it, had a different type of tackle in mind (as he highlighted) and as stated, there is a law in place already for that.

The guy pulled Morelos back after he turned him, and we would have been on the attack. That's a booking all day long.

This type of booking happens in just about every game, the way football is played now.

Its probably factually correct, what you've said but, 'a foul' is very vague, given it would also cover a push at a corner, for example.

THAT type of circumstance/foul, is a booking every time.

Back