Si Ferry’s Open Goal: Bobby Madden & Andy Halliday

Went to school with Bobby. Hadn't seen him in years then met him in airport lounge when he was going to ref a European qualifier. Think he had a nightmare was Finland v Italy.He is a nice guy. Terrible ref though imo.

Open Goal's been a blessing for Halliday. I think majority of viewers are seeing what a good guy he is, he's naturally entraining and a good speaker.

Interesting how highly he rates Greg Stewart, says he's consistently one of the best in training.

It was badly needed. If they wanted to appeal to both audiences and grow then they needed someone from a Rangers background. I gave up on the discussion show because of Slaney continually steering the conversation towards Celtic.

Their listening figures will be through the roof thanks to Halliday. It's a nice mix.

Madden does come across OK and I don't agree he is a crap ref, he is unable to ref Rangers fairly because he's scared to give us any 50/50 because he supposedly one of us.

The amount of red cards he has gave us over past couple years is ridiculous.

Open Goal's been a blessing for Halliday. I think majority of viewers are seeing what a good guy he is, he's naturally entraining and a good speaker.

Interesting how highly he rates Greg Stewart, says he's consistently one of the best in training.

When he joined Rangers, Stewart was in the slowest run group in the pre season camp.

In Dubai last January, he had moved up 3 groups, to the 2nd fastest.

I think everyone at Ibrox is impressed with his attitude and his technical ability.

Not impressed enough to play him though.

He was regularly around the squad though and contributed plenty in a few games at Ibrox, particularly Aberdeen.

We were on fire up to the break and it was difficult for him to get a regular start.

Gerrard does like him though.

He was regularly around the squad though and contributed plenty in a few games at Ibrox, particularly Aberdeen.

We were on fire up to the break and it was difficult for him to get a regular start.

Hung him out to dry at Tynecastle imo. Played him through the middle then didn't change the way the team plays to accommodate him we played balls up to him like he was Morelos.

Hung him out to dry at Tynecastle imo. Played him through the middle then didn't change the way the team plays to accommodate him we played balls up to him like he was Morelos.

Yep, that was never going to work, but with Defoe's injury and Morelos basically not giving 2 fuucks about Rangers, there was little option.

Greg Stewart is very good with the ball at his feet and cutting in from the right.

He has excellent vision and is an intelligent footballer.

He's nowhere near as comfortable trying to take the ball in with his back to goal.

That's definitely not his game.

That said, from McGregor outwards, everyone had a nightmare that day.

That isn’t really something unique to Stewart with Gerrard though.

Doesn’t matter what the team is, we don’t change how we play to suit the personnel.

Watched it last night and agree with the OP. Really enjoyed it. Much better than that other rabble “fitba daft”. Shame as I used to enjoy the banter between Grado and Cameron. Surely that one cannot be still going?

Watched it last night and agree with the OP. Really enjoyed it. Much better than that other rabble “fitba daft”. Shame as I used to enjoy the banter between Grado and Cameron. Surely that one cannot be still going?
ive seen that show your referring to as I think they had Ross McCrorie on it once and it was tough to watch, soon as Ross' bit was done I put it off, I like Grado but the constant shite jokes/jabs at each others expense was tedious.

Halliday reminds me of McCoist, he's such a likeable guy, great story teller & Rangers through & through. I would happily watch any interviews with him.

Initially I struggled to watch open goal but over the last month or so its actually been decent, I can't suffer that Slane creature so tend not to watch if he is on, Madden came across very well and seems a decent guy but that doesn't make him a good referee, changed my opinion on Si Ferry, likable guy despite being on their books, his interviews are refreshing compared to all the usual bollocks from the bias media, fans can relate to this type of show, even that big fud Kyle came across as semi decent, if only he'd take the marbles out of his mouth.

When he joined Rangers, Stewart was in the slowest run group in the pre season camp.

I think everyone at Ibrox is impressed with his attitude and his technical ability.
How do you know the results of tests in training?

How do you know the results of tests in training?

Don't know whether or not you watch the RTV training videos from all the camps mate, but it shows you all the different running groups when they were doing their endurance sessions.

Stewart steadily moved through the groups.

FFS we are not winning this league having to rely on Greg Stewart. I dont care how well he does in the beeps he is nowhere near good enough.

If he played for them we would be laughing our arses off if he was in their starting XI every other week.

FFS we are not winning this league having to rely on Greg Stewart. I dont care how well he does in the beeps he is nowhere near good enough.

If he played for them we would be laughing our arses off if he was in their starting XI every other week.

Don't think anyone is suggesting he should be starting.

He's proved he's a good squad option against the deep lying defensive teams at Ibrox.

No more no less.

We need more than just the 11 starters.

If big Kyle said that SG picks his team from training and Greg is as good as suggested in training, then he should be a starter. In saying that, some players are great trainers but can't handle the weight of the Jersey.

Greg seems to have been a strange signing.
His CV didnt warrant signing to a team trying to put a squad together to compete with them and win cups and a league.
If the first 11-15 players cannot do it then the last thing we need is players of that standard along with the barkers of this world.

Greg seems to have been a strange signing.
His CV didnt warrant signing to a team trying to put a squad together to compete with them and win cups and a league.
If the first 11-15 players cannot do it then the last thing we need is players of that standard along with the barkers of this world.

The very definition of quantity over quality I’m afraid.

He’s not a bad player by the way, just not ‘good enough’

Some of the super staunch posters on here don’t like Si Ferry because he was at the poets youth, but i actually find him hilarious and he just doesn’t seem to take things seriously much which is a good thing.

aye , i really dont get it , he barely played a friendly for them never mind a competitive game, seems like a good guy and a laugh, has a mix of people on too.

It was badly needed. If they wanted to appeal to both audiences and grow then they needed someone from a Rangers background. I gave up on the discussion show because of Slaney continually steering the conversation towards Celtic.

Their listening figures will be through the roof thanks to Halliday. It's a nice mix.

Completely agree mate, I was always put off watching it regularly for that reason. Kevin Kyle always seemingly has hee haw good to say about us as well which didn't help.

If big Kyle said that SG picks his team from training and Greg is as good as suggested in training, then he should be a starter. In saying that, some players are great trainers but can't handle the weight of the Jersey.

I don’t think that’s true at all.
It might be what’s said at Auchenhowie but I find it difficult to believe given some previous team selections.

Absolutely cannot stand Kevin Kyle. How he got that gig I’ll never know. You could write what he knows about football on a fag packet and he always comes across as someone who actually doesn’t like the game.

Si Ferry is a great guy and I know this from personal experience and have a few mutual friends. Glad he’s got Halliday on because it makes it a lot more enjoyable for us.

Absolutely cannot stand Kevin Kyle. How he got that gig I’ll never know. You could write what he knows about football on a fag packet and he always comes across as someone who actually doesn’t like the game.

Si Ferry is a great guy and I know this from personal experience and have a few mutual friends. Glad he’s got Halliday on because it makes it a lot more enjoyable for us.
I wonder if he has Kyle and Slaney so he can be the most intelligent one in the room. I’ve always said he doesn’t come across as one of them in all seriousness and comes across as a good guy. My dad knows someone who played with him and heard rave reviews as a player. Decent bloke.

We've never had to "rely" on him before and never will. He plays the odd game at Ibrox as everyone expected him to when he signed. He was thrown in at Tynecastle because we had no other options.

He was given 676 minutes across all games last season. He definitely deserved more minutes than that based on a few of his performances and if he's one of the best trainers. Especially considering he can play in our weakest position.

Ojo was given triple his playing time.

To be fair I don’t think Slaney did steer the conversation towards Celtic. I thought they always gave a balanced and fair view without taking a swipe at any team in particular. If they didn’t I’d have stopped listening a long time ago

Every manager picks his team from training.

Billy Gilmour was phuckin awful v Leicester and got hooked at HT. Lampard then said he needed to play like he trained. Obviously Billy trained like a mad man and he was back in last night.

He was given 676 minutes across all games last season. He definitely deserved more minutes than that based on a few of his performances and if he's one of the best trainers. Especially considering he can play in our weakest position.

Ojo was given triple his playing time.

Whether we like it or not it was obviously part of the deal that Ojo had to get minutes.

Went to school with Bobby. Hadn't seen him in years then met him in airport lounge when he was going to ref a European qualifier. Think he had a nightmare was Finland v Italy.He is a nice guy. Terrible ref though imo.

He was a prick. :))

Standing on the stairs like some little hitler with his prefect badge on.

That’s interesting.

He’s seriously underrated by many supporters. I thought the management were of like mind given his lack of minutes. I think his ability in tight spaces, his ability to play with his back to goal and his finishing would really help us.

He was a prick. :))

Standing on the stairs like some little hitler with his prefect badge on.
I'd left by that point. He wasn't really that into football at school wasn't 1 of the boys that played at break time and at lunch he was more into running. He refs us completely different to everyone else.

That’s interesting.

He’s seriously underrated by many supporters. I thought the management were of like mind given his lack of minutes. I think his ability in tight spaces, his ability to play with his back to goal and his finishing would really help us.

Always felt the opposite. I’m sure he trains hard, but the way folk when on about him off the back of a good game against Aberdeen and a few assists in the dying minutes you’d have thought he was the man to really turn things around. The less said about Tynecastle the better, I get he’s not a striker but still, he offered nothing.

Always felt the opposite. I’m sure he trains hard, but the way folk when on about him off the back of a good game against Aberdeen and a few assists in the dying minutes you’d have thought he was the man to really turn things around. The less said about Tynecastle the better, I get he’s not a striker but still, he offered nothing.
An Aberdeen team missing let’s face it , arguably there best player and two very fortunate goals against Hearts. I like him I really do but aside from those games and Hamilton at home he didn’t offer much. That said, I would like him to get more minutes. I was surprised we signed a guy off the back of one good half season in five years. No doubting his technical ability, but there is a reason he struggled to get in a poor Birmingham team etc etc.

Last edited:
An Aberdeen team missing let’s face it , arguably there best player and two very fortunate goals against Hearts. I like him I really do but aside from those games and Hamilton at home he didn’t offer much. That said, I would like him to get more minutes. I was surprised we signed a guy off the back of one good half season in five years. No doubting his technical ability, but there is a reason he struggled to get in a poor Birmingham team etc etc.

I’d agree. Nothing against the guy at all but he’s not really going to get us where we need to be. The more he didn’t play the better he seemed to get.

Back