Si Ferry meets Ian Black

While I understand Black is an easy target, I think people have a hard time separating McCall and McCoist, the players, from McCall and McCoist the managers. The facts are, they didn't do us many favors in that time period. We DID look legless in the play-offs against Motherwell. What Black says has validity.

He does come across as someone who points fingers at others, but I'm not going to throw out everything he says because he has negative things to say about Rangers playing legends.

The only two Rangers players I have ever detested are Black and Ricky Foster.

Both compete arseholes off the pitch and spineless cowards on it.
Sorry but that's simply not true on fosters part. He might be a yesser and a bit thick but he's also a bluenose and was the first one over to back up mohsni when the entire motherwell bench were trying to set ablut him. He also had a hold of brown in the league cup semi final after he went through black (ironically) at the end of the game. He may be many things but he was not spineless, there's plenty former players should have that tag before him.

It’s mental to think he played 80 + games for us.

I don’t think anyone can deny that we were an absolute shambles against Motherwell and the team should have been changed. I’d be furious in that situation also.

There’s been plenty worse than Ian black - that’s not to say I’m a fan of him but he’s come across ok for the bits about us. Just ok!

Dundee Utd at tannadice was the game he proved to everyone that he was never a Rangers player in terms of class and quality.

Hearts under Romanov seemed a total basket case of a club. I wonder who did his fit and proper persons due diligence ?

He waa shite mate and one of the worst players we have ever had no point in trying to gloss over it
I’m glossing over nothing just making the point that he wasn’t the worst in that team let alone of all time. Off the top of my head; Argyriou, Faure, Sandaza, Perry and Hutton all worse players in that team alone. I’m not saying he was the best but he’s far from the worst.
I think people let their personal hatred of Black cloud their judgement of his playing abilities.

I’m glossing over nothing just making the point that he wasn’t the worst in that team let alone of all time. Off the top of my head; Argyriou, Faure, Sandaza, Perry and Hutton all worse players in that team alone. I’m not saying he was the best but he’s far from the worst.
I think people let their personal hatred of Black cloud their judgement of his playing abilities.
YOU couldve plucked a better right back from Saturday morning amateur football than that little Greek guy.

He was bad. Possibly the worst Ive ever seen ability wise.

Honest to God, what the f*ck was McCoist thinking when he signed him?

He was on the bench at Tynecastle when he assaulted Jelavic. It was an utterly appalling decision.

It just summed up McCoists lack of understanding of the game. He was signed because he looked like the son of Xavi in the second half of the cup final v Hibs. Ally did not figure out that it was damage limitation from Hibs who were happy to let Black have the ball as he was not doing anything with it. Spoke to a Hibs boy on holiday who reckoned if Jeffries had been in charge Hearts could have taken ten off them that day.

While I understand Black is an easy target, I think people have a hard time separating McCall and McCoist, the players, from McCall and McCoist the managers. The facts are, they didn't do us many favors in that time period. We DID look legless in the play-offs against Motherwell. What Black says has validity.

He does come across as someone who points fingers at others, but I'm not going to throw out everything he says because he has negative things to say about Rangers playing legends.
I'll cut McCall some slack. When he came in, he inherited a disinterested, lazy bunch of players that needed cleared out. Despite that, he did improve the midfield slightly

The amount of ill will untowards Black always amazes me. Wonder how many of our local keyboard warriors are amicable and likeable persons once you meet them in person ... not least given the amount of abuse and vitriol being spat about in every other thread. All about opinions, right?

What I know of Ian Black before he came is that he was a guy that liked to pester opposition players in that defensive midfield role that hardly gets a mention. He scored that 93rd minute winner for ICT in days gone by, from the penalty spot and their first shot at goal that night, after Weir gave away the penalty. And he fouled Jelavic. What you read here though seem to make him a perfect clone of Brown and Griffiths ... and I fear that none of that showed in his 115 games for us on our way back. At least IMHO. Even at the time people went bananas about him like he`s just murdered one of her Queen`s dogs or the like, when it was usually him that was kicked from pillar to post. All I saw was a professional footballer given the 100 % a Ian Black had to give, scoring 8 goals and assisting 22 more on our way back. What he did outside the ground was of no real concern ... as it is with nigh all of our players. And I can sure don`t verify whether he`s a "total prick" or not ... and as I said above, many modern day footballers (and fans) would fall into that category as well. Every time his name comes up, the levels go through the wall though. He repairs fridges nowadays? So what? At least he does something useful to society rather than spend the coin you fans paid to our footballers with ST money et al on one of his 3 houses in Britain, Spain or Florida, sipping expansive wine et al? Ach well ...

The amount of ill will untowards Black always amazes me. Wonder how many of our local keyboard warriors are amicable and likeable persons once you meet them in person ... not least given the amount of abuse and vitriol being spat about in every other thread. All about opinions, right?

What I know of Ian Black before he came is that he was a guy that liked to pester opposition players in that defensive midfield role that hardly gets a mention. He scored that 93rd minute winner for ICT in days gone by, from the penalty spot and their first shot at goal that night, after Weir gave away the penalty. And he fouled Jelavic. What you read here though seem to make him a perfect clone of Brown and Griffiths ... and I fear that none of that showed in his 115 games for us on our way back. At least IMHO. Even at the time people went bananas about him like he`s just murdered one of her Queen`s dogs or the like, when it was usually him that was kicked from pillar to post. All I saw was a professional footballer given the 100 % a Ian Black had to give, scoring 8 goals and assisting 22 more on our way back. What he did outside the ground was of no real concern ... as it is with nigh all of our players. And I can sure don`t verify whether he`s a "total prick" or not ... and as I said above, many modern day footballers (and fans) would fall into that category as well. Every time his name comes up, the levels go through the wall though. He repairs fridges nowadays? So what? At least he does something useful to society rather than spend the coin you fans paid to our footballers with ST money et al on one of his 3 houses in Britain, Spain or Florida, sipping expansive wine et al? Ach well ...

I listened to the latest ‘Murray & Me’ episode on H&H this morning and David Edgar made a point about the Rangers support being overly romantic about players, managers, board members etc.

He said that at some point we’ll get to the stage where someone speaks about Ian Black and goes “ach, he was alright wasn’t he?”. I genuinely couldn’t fathom any Rangers supporter ever thinking that but here we have exactly what David was talking about, you’ve just summed up his point.

Ian Black is an arsehole that was involved in some of the most disgraceful results in our club’s history,

I’ll be damned if I ever give the wee cunt the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter, with all due respect if you don’t think it’s being publicised, touted, advertised or whatever on here when it’s got it’s own thread saying “Si Ferry meets Ian Black” then we’ll need to agree to disagree.

Like I said before I’ve just joined so I’ll know the score in future when they’re touting the next one.

Staunch.

Some real hatred on here. I actually took the time to watch it. So he seems to be quite bitter generally about the way football has treated him and has some ranty, sweary sessions when talking about some people he felt slighted him. Including it would seem senior figures in our club for denying him his one year extension, that if I'm making this up as I need attention: him right McCoist made sure he’d get the right number of games to invoke it. I’m probably not going to believe that McCall played someone in place of Black because his Aunty cut McCalls hair. But what I did conclude is that I doubt he was ever a popular dressing room figure as he is very “him” oriented if that interview is anything to go by.

Some real hatred on here. I actually took the time to watch it. So he seems to be quite bitter generally about the way football has treated him and has some ranty, sweary sessions when talking about some people he felt slighted him. Including it would seem senior figures in our club for denying him his one year extension, that if I'm making this up as I need attention: him right McCoist made sure he’d get the right number of games to invoke it. I’m probably not going to believe that McCall played someone in place of Black because his Aunty cut McCalls hair. But what I did conclude is that I doubt he was ever a popular dressing room figure as he is very “him” oriented if that interview is anything to go by.

Any idea who hes on about with the aunties hair thing? Murdoch?

Are we going to forget Black was one of the players who sued for his holiday pay, and complained he never got a Thank You letter from King?

Not one i will be watching but here you go if you can stomach it

To save anyone else watching that shite here’s a summary:

He Sounds like a right jakey

Loved McCoist

Claims not to have known who McCall was when he got the Rangers job. But he was a great technical coach

Comes across as a cocky wee shite. Especially when talking about losing his place to Murdoch. Calling him a wee boy and apparently Murdoch only played as his auntie cut Stuart McCall’s hair.

He seems to think that McCall’s scared of him

Last edited:
I listened to the latest ‘Murray & Me’ episode on H&H this morning and David Edgar made a point about the Rangers support being overly romantic about players, managers, board members etc.

He said that at some point we’ll get to the stage where someone speaks about Ian Black and goes “ach, he was alright wasn’t he?”. I genuinely couldn’t fathom any Rangers supporter ever thinking that but here we have exactly what David was talking about, you’ve just summed up his exact point.

Ian Black is an arsehole that was involved in some of the most disgraceful results in our club’s history,

Maybe so. You have a "closer relationship" to players over in Scotland that overseas Bears hardly get. So I take what I see and can gather from previous knowledge of seeing players ... or read about them in new articles.

A quick glance tells me that he played in 115 games for us, of which we lost 20. You probably refer to the unbelievable defeats against Annan, Stirling and Peterhead (the last two at home)? Or those against top tier opposition in the cups? Maybe that was shocking for some, but do mind the quality on display those days in our colours - aside from Black.

Be that as it may, I never felt more embarassment as a Bluenose when the Scum slaughtered us home and away in seasons long after Black left and with players who have climed to can`t do wrong cult status nowadays.

I harbour no romantic feelings about our players, but likewise have no red mist descending when this or that names comes up.

PS: Well, actually I do ... when the name of Kyle Hutton comes up ... whom I disliked as a negative player with a negative attitude who seemingly thought very highly of himself when he was not that great ... which his later career proved. And his antics every time he was up against us during our way back showed him up too.

He said that at some point we’ll get to the stage where someone speaks about Ian Black and goes “ach, he was alright wasn’t he?”. I genuinely couldn’t fathom any Rangers supporter ever thinking that but here we have exactly what David was talking about, you’ve just summed up his point.

Listened to this at lunch and was just about to post the same.

An awful player who should've never been associated with our club.

@David Edgar with Mystic Meg like abilities

Can never write off that injury he inflicted on Jela. Calling it a foul is downplaying it, and some.

Maybe so. You have a "closer relationship" to players over in Scotland that overseas Bears hardly get. So I take what I see and can gather from previous knowledge of seeing players ... or read about them in new articles.

A quick glance tells me that he played in 115 games for us, of which we lost 20. You probably refer to the unbelievable defeats against Annan, Stirling and Peterhead (the last two at home)? Or those against top tier opposition in the cups? Maybe that was shocking for some, but do mind the quality on display those days in our colours - aside from Black.

Be that as it may, I never felt more embarassment as a Bluenose when the Scum slaughtered us home and away in seasons long after Black left and with players who have climed to can`t do wrong cult status nowadays.

I harbour no romantic feelings about our players, but likewise have no red mist descending when this or that names comes up.

PS: Well, actually I do ... when the name of Kyle Hutton comes up ... whom I disliked as a negative player with a negative attitude who seemingly thought very highly of himself when he was not that great ... which his later career proved. And his antics every time he was up against us during our way back showed him up too.

Much of that last paragraph could be used to describe Ian Black.

Hutton was one of the players McCall was selecting ahead of Black, I do tend to agree with Black that he had been made out to be a bit of a scapegoat. Black was a far superior player to Hutton & Murdoch so his exclusion was baffling. Either way, I feel sorry for the Heart & Hand lads when they have to rewatch the games that season for the McCoist age!!

There should have been no favours afforded just because they were related to the person who cut Stuart McCall’s hair..... he’s had that mullet since the 90’s and it looked awful even then .

Probably have to be careful on what I say here.

I was in his company on a couple of occasions, once in his house just past Musselburgh, and I will tell you now how any "Pros" can justify the way he lived his life (and this was while he was at Rangers) is beyond me

A shitebag of a player, a plastic hardman who had the heart of a mouse and the brain of a Etruscan shrew.

He shouldn't be allowed back into Ibrox as a paying customer, let alone be given any goodwill.

We had a team of scumbags from 2011-2015, led by a clueless idiotic manager who was long past caring about Rangers or the mess he was making of it and signing and making Black one of his "Lynchpins" backs this up, the sooner it is a mere boil on our History the better.

That's the thing, I don't mind Black, he just wasn't good enough to play for Rangers and the thing is, I don't think it helped him given the poor defence we had, our defence were... yeah, I'm not even going to go there. I actually liked him, just that he wasn't up to it.

Probably have to be careful on what I say here.

I was in his company on a couple of occasions, once in his house just past Musselburgh, and I will tell you now how any "Pros" can justify the way he lived his life (and this was while he was at Rangers) is beyond me

A shitebag of a player, a plastic hardman who had the heart of a mouse and the brain of a Etruscan shrew.

He shouldn't be allowed back into Ibrox as a paying customer, let alone be given any goodwill.

We had a team of scumbags from 2011-2015, led by a clueless idiotic manager who was long past caring about Rangers or the mess he was making of it and signing and making Black one of his "Lynchpins" backs this up, the sooner it is a mere boil on our History the better.
GRENADEEEE!!

To save anyone else watching that shite here’s a summary:

He Sounds like a right jakey

Loved McCoist

Claims not to have known who McCall was when he got the Rangers job. But he was a great technical coach

Comes across as a cocky wee shite. Especially when talking about losing his place to Murdoch. Calling him a wee boy and apparently Murdoch only played as his auntie cut Stuart McCall’s hair.

He seems to think that McCall’s scared of him

Also said he couldn't take McCoist seriously which speaks volumes.

Is it just me or is he really difficult to understand? Not just his accent but he struggles to pronounce words properly.

Thick twat.

Last edited:
I do like the idea person x, y and z is a "lady's front bottom" etc.....

I don't just mean this exclusively of Black, just in general this idea people know players, their personality etc based purely on their football ability and a few articles in the paper...

Weird, weird folks on here sometimes.

This thread proves our support is like every other support, littered without absolute throbbers.

He wasnt the worst. He wasnt the best. He made a contribution. I genuinely cant think of a single thing he did in our shirt that would make people “detest him”. It baffles me. He may not have been likeable (even that I struggle with). Will I remember him in years to come? Yes, probably. Why? He was part pf the shite in the lower leagues that got us up. Pretty or not. He is part pf our history.

Its easy to throw that shite about hating him around I suppose.

Back