Si Ferry meets Kyle Lafferty

Lafferty annoyed me as I think he should have achieved more with the talent he was given.

That being said he has scored league winning goals on 3 occasions for Rangers. Not many players can say that.

He is also one of us so I wish him well.

He seemed unsure of his own stories at times, possibly giving answers he thinks are the ones wanted. One stood out when talking about getting tickets for the UEFA Cup Final. Ferry jokingly asked "Did you not ask Owen Coyle if he wanted to go?" to which Laffery replied "I think I did text him" but then changed it to "I wish I had have now" when he realised Ferry was joking.

ferry gets a lot of stick/jokes about his questions but they work a treat and get players to tell you stuff you actually want to hear while putting them at ease, not the usual repetitive stuff u hear off players after matches etc
Possibly helps because Ferry has been part of dressing rooms and knows what goes on and off the park

It's commonplace with Kyle Lafferty to read about him referred to as a 'daft boy.'

So what? A huge percentage of footballers are 'daft boys'. It gets highlighted with Kyle in a negative light because he played for Rangers. With a daftie like Thumbheid he's a lovable rogue - " What is he like?" - or a victim of mental health issues.

Kyle Lafferty could have done more with his career - so could a lot of players - but he did enough and has the medals and memories to prove it.

It's commonplace with Kyle Lafferty to read about him referred to as a 'daft boy.'

So what? A huge percentage of footballers are 'daft boys'. It gets highlighted with Kyle in a negative light because he played for Rangers. With a daftie like Thumbheid he's a lovable rogue - " What is he like?" - or a victim of mental health issues.

Kyle Lafferty could have done more with his career - so could a lot of players - but he did enough and has the medals and memories to prove it.

I haven't met many people (anyone) who thinks Griffiths is a 'loveable rogue'.

Laff has the mental age of a teenager, and it shows. I don't wish him ill, quite the opposite but he is pretty typical of your modern day footballer and, in some respects, sums up why I have given up on the game.

Just finished listening to the whole thing and in my opinion it’s pretty clear why it didn’t work for Laff 2nd time round.

He seems to prefer foreign football and to have a “banter” type relationship with the manager and made to feel like number 1 all the time. That was never happening here and even when he went to Gerrard asking why he wasn’t playing it seems SG was honest with him and told him why.

Will never forget him looking through ovie ejaria’s dreads whilst playing ufa in the 90th min. Total shithousery, their goal should have stood but the big man was calling for a head knock, brilliant

Not having that. 99% of the interviews you see from players say that SG is a fantastic man manager, has high standards and can go through you when needed but is fair with it. Only time you see it to the contrary is from players who are no longer part of the plans or seem to need a cuddle/constant re-assurance.
Nobody who's still there is going to speak up mate..get real

Say what you want but I would far rather have had Lafferty as an option from the bench last season than Barker, Ojo, Jones or Stewart.

Listening to it just now, just got to the bit he’s talking about Cathro

Just seems a daft boy who is going to have serious regrets rest of his life, a waster really

He seems a good guy but it’s very hard listening to his stories. He’s not the best speaker.

Polar opposite to Andy Halliday who I could probably listen to all day

He says rangers were the only club he would sign for but he says half an hour later that he was on his way to sign for Seoul when he got the call to come sign for us

I haven't met many people (anyone) who thinks Griffiths is a 'loveable rogue'.

Laff has the mental age of a teenager, and it shows. I don't wish him ill, quite the opposite but he is pretty typical of your modern day footballer and, in some respects, sums up why I have given up on the game.
I haven't personally met anyone either who thinks that about Griffiths but I think that the media are very indulgent towards his 'antics'. I certainly haven't read or heard any criticism - only mitigation - except on here.

The point about Kyle is that I judge him as a footballer. Players in the past will have behaved as badly - or worse - as modern day players and we would never have known.

I suppose it's like separating the 'art from the artist'. Gazza had the mental age of a teenager, too.

I am not sure anyone can say watching the last 2 years Gerrards man management is anything bar shambolic, it is a testament to certain players they have carried on and got better while being thrown under the bus at every opportunity.

As for Laff, Idiot who gave us some good times and who messed up not one but two opportunities to be a player for us.

I don't think he has the brains to realise how much he has messed up his career, it will hit him like a lightening bolt when he is skint and on his arse 18 months after retiring.

I am not sure anyone can say watching the last 2 years Gerrards man management is anything bar shambolic, it is a testament to certain players they have carried on and got better while being thrown under the bus at every opportunity.

As for Laff, Idiot who gave us some good times and who messed up not one but two opportunities to be a player for us.

I don't think he has the brains to realise how much he has messed up his career, it will hit him like a lightening bolt when he is skint and on his arse 18 months after retiring.

Well, I'm 90 percent sure the bloke in your avatar would disagree with that for starters.

Gave it a listen there but had to stop after an hour, like a few others have said his delivery of stories isnt the best along with the pauses.

I listened and like big Wes a get impression SG is not the best guy to be around he seems distant from the lads which doesn't seem good for the team spirit a little strange if truth be told this is few times we hear it's all Michael Beale.
Is the gaffer just the face.
can't see SG's ego letting him just be the face..

I listened and like big Wes a get impression SG is not the best guy to be around he seems distant from the lads which doesn't seem good for the team spirit a little strange if truth be told this is few times we hear it's all Michael Beale.
Is the gaffer just the face.

He's the manager, not their mate. It's becoming even clearer why we're unable to win trophies when players are upset by the manager being "distant".

Interesting on this Halliday says Lafferty was 2hrs late for his 1st game back in his 2nd stint at Rangers. Things like that won't have done him any favours with Gerrard.

Think it’s clear that second time round Kyles attitude wasn’t right or anywhere near Gerrards standards.

It’s alright having a certain attitude as a young lad in your early 20s playing for a team that wins every week and are winning trophies.

That same attitude won’t be acceptable as an experienced 30 year old player, playing for the club in completely different circumstances.

The set up at Rangers just now is exactly what a management team should be. SG is very remote from the players and distances himself quite significantly. He's not the most chatty with the players external to the dressing room. That's mainly left for G Mac and the rest. I would say at times he could learn to hide his disappointment with the players publicly. He needs to remember that these players aren't world class and will be prone to the odd mistake or off game. Back to the subject matter Big Kyle is the same publicly as he is privately. Nicer lad you couldn't meet.

He's the manager, not their mate. It's becoming even clearer why we're unable to win trophies when players are upset by the manager being "distant".

The combination of a team who gave-up the league in February and a management team who were unable to remedy that have left me quite despondent ahead of this coming season.

After listening I think it's quite clear that he's pretty immature for his age. Just a big daft lad, personally think that Gerrard was wanting a leader out of him, with his experience of winning trophies at the club. But when you're shiting yourself when the ball is at your feet then Gerrard isn't gonna have any of that and was quickly punted.

The only thing that finished Kyle's rangers career was Kyle, he was never going to last after his appearance in the papers about sending pics of has tadger to birds whilst supposedly married and with a kid, but funnily enough no mention of that.

Are people honestly calling a big tumshie who was paid several grand a week 'staunch' and then making excuses for him not applying himself?

No, 'staunch' is giving 100% for the club you are privileged to represent. Not going missing for half a season.

Good luck mate, apparently it’s all erased by goals on title winning days :D

Could you imagine SAF being mates with the team?

The way it should be
I think there’s a balance to be found and Gerrard needs to make sure he finds it and quickly, listening to Wes and others I won’t lie and say I am not slightly concerned by what I am hearing. But I’ll keep on topic, Kyle is just a stupid boy who may or may not regret his choices in life

No doubt gonna get slated for this but Lafferty is Lafferty. If Gerrard didn't know what he was getting he never done his homework. Not using him and not keeping him was stubborn and moronic, a waste of resources. If the management would stop wasting these resources we would be closer to them. Walter used Lafferty correctly. We still haven't got Dykes in, and he's quite clearly what we need. Gerrard and Beale on a crusade to do things their way instead of doing things the winning way has cost us a lot, and will cost us more. Say that as a fan for the progression they've made but I'm not interested in being runners up for 20 years.

yes, Ojo played every week virtually for the first few months despite it being obvious from the get go technically he was murder, couldn’t trap a ball or pass. Others were bombed out for the slightest mistake. Katic another example of getting thrown under a bus.

Barker getting games as a sub despite being a junior footballer and is still loved by the management team. Paterson getting bombed out after his first game etc etc Jones bombed out. Kent having one shit game after another. Hagi anonymous nearly every week yet played wide/inside right

The players aren’t daft.
He knew Ojo was dross, the whole management team did, that’s why he just disappeared.

He will look back on his career with major disappointments - particularly the euros. Perhaps could have benefitted from psychological support.

Harmless enough fella but seen wiser eating grass.

No doubt gonna get slated for this but Lafferty is Lafferty. If Gerrard didn't know what he was getting he never done his homework. Not using him and not keeping him was stubborn and moronic, a waste of resources. If the management would stop wasting these resources we would be closer to them. Walter used Lafferty correctly. We still haven't got Dykes in, and he's quite clearly what we need. Gerrard and Beale on a crusade to do things their way instead of doing things the winning way has cost us a lot, and will cost us more. Say that as a fan for the progression they've made but I'm not interested in being runners up for 20 years.

You say Walter used Lafferty correctly but in the podcast he says he was told by Smith only way you are going to play is wide left, and he said he hated it. Not only did he hate it but he was shit at it.

Back