Si Ferry meets Kyle Lafferty

I can sum-up Lafferty as a rangers player a few ways

1st spell:
match day 1 - 33..... aw ffs we’ve got Kyle Lafferty in our team.

match day 34-38 (after the split).... thank fück we’ve got Kyle Lafferty in our team.

2nd spell... meh!

I am not sure anyone can say watching the last 2 years Gerrards man management is anything bar shambolic, it is a testament to certain players they have carried on and got better while being thrown under the bus at every opportunity.

As for Laff, Idiot who gave us some good times and who messed up not one but two opportunities to be a player for us.

I don't think he has the brains to realise how much he has messed up his career, it will hit him like a lightening bolt when he is skint and on his arse 18 months after retiring.

Yet there are examples of players improving tenfold under him, Jack, Tav, Morelos, Barisic. Some players respond to tough love, some don’t.

The fact that Lafferty cites being nervous playing with Ferguson and then being managed by Gerrard because they were demanding says more about his attitude than it does anyone else.

Makes me laugh reading stuff like this after years of folk demanding higher standards, then when someone comes in with those they want the players mollycoddled.

Yet there are examples of players improving tenfold under him, Jack, Tav, Morelos, Barisic. Some players respond to tough love, some don’t.

The fact that Lafferty cites being nervous playing with Ferguson and then being managed by Gerrard because they were demanding says more about his attitude than it does anyone else.

Makes me laugh reading stuff like this after years of folk demanding higher standards, then when someone comes in with those they want the players mollycoddled.

You could argue those players were the good ones before, what young players have come on? Aside from borna I can't say any of those are conclusive. Big fan of Ryan Jack but he had a half a great season half a shite season.

Nail on the head. I'm not a fan of Lafferty, and won't watch the interview, but the comments are interesting nonetheless. Any player wanting succeed at Rangers will have to take the responsibility of being the best they can be, and blaming a manager for it not happening when others have played under the same manager and improved indicates the making of excuses.

I am more interested in which band he was in.i know he’s from Fermanagh.a few staunch wee towns and villages but you would see far more gaa jerseys than rangers ones

Ignoring Lafferty himself for a second, his view that Beale is the 'brains' behind Gerrard's management team was very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if he was our next manager.

His comments about how Gerrard treated him. Obviously we know that he’ll hold a grudge. He said it’s the first time he’s never felt he could have banter with a manager. You have to wonder if Smith would have overlooked his idiocy and got the best out him.

I also wonder why he had Dorrans training with the under 21’s.

I get what you’re saying, but also look at how many players crumbled towards the end of the season which left so many of us scratching our heads.

At the end of the day a good manager gets the best out his players, whatever methods he uses are down to him.

My post is more in regards the complete confidence drop after defeats in which the players are slaughtered, I.e post January, the players were thrown under the bus after Killie and the complete emptying of all confidence won't have been helped by Gerrards attitude towards the players publically.

Someone like Smith doesn't slate them as he did, privately he will go in and tell them what he thinks, publicly the referee would have gotten it after that game with the players being protected.

Gerrard coming out and Publicly slating the players after every bad game just helps the fans who have no patience with the players jump on there backs even quicker in the next game, the players were shitting themselves every time they took the pitch in late Jan and Feb.

I agree some players have improved under Gerrard, Morelos and Tav for sure, Barisic is pretty playing at what we thought he would when he came in, I will agree on Jack has improved however he still isn't good enough to be a Rangers CM in a title winning team, if we want to win the league next season a midfield with Jack as a regular starter doesn't achieve that.

The coming season is one of our biggest ever, Gerrard needs to have ironed out the mistakes he failed to from his 1st season, if truth be told Covid possibly saved his job, we were on the road to capitulation before the season stopped.

I know it isn't the done thing to dare criticize Gerrard, but the last 2 seasons, Jan-March this year and Jan-March last year in particular raise massive question marks on whether he can actually take us that extra step.

Think he’s being a bit disingenuous about his final 6 months to be honest.

The dick pic fiasco, the Northern Ireland pull out and the Liverpool under 23s performance were all factors that contributed to Gerrard wanting rid of him. Not acknowledged by Kyle.

All reflect badly on Lafferty so I’m not surprised he doesn’t want to mention them, but he shouldn’t act clueless as to why he wasn’t wanted.

Also claiming he joined us on lower money than what he was on at Hearts (cause he loves the club so much...) then apparently wanting to leave because it didn’t sit right taking a wage that could be spent on getting players who could improve the club. But you’ve just said you’re not on great money, so how would that money make a big difference?!

Again, comes across a bit disingenuous and trying to sound too noble.

His comments about how Gerrard treated him. Obviously we know that he’ll hold a grudge. He said it’s the first time he’s never felt he could have banter with a manager. You have to wonder if Smith would have overlooked his idiocy and got the best out him.

It's probably to discourage players from being happy seeing out their deal without playing.

I don't know if I agree with it or not but I'd imagine that's why

Halliday said on KBOTG open goal that lafferty turned up 2 hours late for 1st game of season at Motherwell then went in scored 2 goals, obviously Lafferty forgot to mention this when doing his open goal interview

Halliday said on KBOTG open goal that lafferty turned up 2 hours late for 1st game of season at Motherwell then went in scored 2 goals, obviously Lafferty forgot to mention this when doing his open goal interview

He ‘forgot’ to mention quick a few things about his second spell mate as I’ve alluded to a few posts up.

I didnt take it as a slight on Gerrard just more that they didnt click and that KL didn't like his style of management. Lafferty came across as just being honest, in that he probably needs a manager to put his arm round him and tell him how valuable he is.

Back