Sign new deals or sell? Goldson, Morelos, Kent, Kamara, Helander

I could see Kamara and Barisic leave for the right money in the summer. We have to start the player trading model this summer. Hopefully no more than 1 or 2 first team players will go.

Course you can’t, it goes without saying if the players want to stay then they will sign up. Didn’t realise we had been trying to get Kamara to sign for over a year, if that’s the case then we would need to look to sell.
I still think Kamara will sign a new deal. The support he received from everyone connected at the club, fans included in the wake of the Kudela incident won’t have been lost on him. I also think the allure of Champions League football will be a big attraction for him.

However, if he really is considering his options and looking at a move down south then we should actively look to move him on when his standing is high.

As well as Kamara has played he’s one of those players I do actually feel we can replace.

Was wondering what peoples thoughts are here? Am I the only one worrying?
A lot of big assets that if they stay for a crack at the Champs Lge that next summer they are out of contract (Goldson) or only have 1 year left (Morelos, Kent, Kamara and Helander).
We dont want to end up in the same situation as Timmy are now with players only having 1 year left and not being able to command a fee that they could have got 1 year ago.
Hopefully if we can not get them on longer deals maybe a 1 year extension to their current contract and a wage rise will protect our investments. Otherwise as much as we love em it makes (good business) sense to cash in this summer.
Head ruling heart loyal
I think Helander will be away this summer, Kent and Goldson will sign a new deal and i think Kamara could be away also.

If we sell Helander and Kamara you are talking north of £20m incoming. That would be enough to offset a CL run against a Europa League run if we get knocked out in Qualifiers.

The money Kent and Morelos would get us if they have a good CL is mental. Morelos if he scores in the CL and Kent if he performs in the CL you are looking at 30m + for each of them. It makes a massive difference to us.

Goldson is the only real pressing issue.

I’d like to think he could even sign a 1-year extension to protect all parties, have a crack at UCL and then possibly be sold for a realistic fee next summer.
Goldson to me is not as important as holding on to Kent, Goldson is a very decent centre back but can be replaced, Kent on the other hand is a different story.

I still think Kamara will sign a new deal. The support he received from everyone connected at the club, fans included in the wake of the Kudela incident won’t have been lost on him. I also think the allure of Champions League football will be a big attraction for him.

However, if he really is considering his options and looking at a move down south then we should actively look to move him on when his standing is high.

As well as Kamara has played he’s one of those players I do actually feel we can replace.
Can’t disagree with any of that. I do hope he signs a new deal , but as you said he is replaceable. Let’s be honest the younger players will want to play down south at some point.

Was wondering what peoples thoughts are here? Am I the only one worrying?
A lot of big assets that if they stay for a crack at the Champs Lge that next summer they are out of contract (Goldson) or only have 1 year left (Morelos, Kent, Kamara and Helander).
We dont want to end up in the same situation as Timmy are now with players only having 1 year left and not being able to command a fee that they could have got 1 year ago.
Hopefully if we can not get them on longer deals maybe a 1 year extension to their current contract and a wage rise will protect our investments. Otherwise as much as we love em it makes (good business) sense to cash in this summer.
Head ruling heart loyal
all new deals if possible

Every single one should be given a new contract. If clubs want to buy them after that; I’m fine with that. It’ll cost them more.

clearly not all at once though

So did we with a certain Mr Laudrup. We've got to be hard nosed. No matter how much we want them to stay, if they go into the last year of their contract and won't sign a new one they have to be sold.
When we are in a position of strength I would like us to be offering Goldson, Helander, Kamara, Kent and Morelos, an extension (1 or 2 years) on better wages.
If they refuse then we should inform them if they are not committed to the long term future of the club they should move one so as we can keep moving forward.
The club is number 1

Kamara must be on a low wage, he MUST have been offered a better deal before now.
Hope its just his agent telling him to wait till after the Euros to get the best deal.
Is he has not signed a new contract after the Euros we need to cash in whilst we can

Ultimately I'd leave it mostly up to the players if the players are happy here give them new deals but if they want away get a deal done and get the money in we just have to look across the city to see the damage that want away players can cause to the team

Renew Lana Wolf OF for another month or not? PM me if you want the final hours of content. Ending midnight (probably).

Kamara must be on a low wage, he MUST have been offered a better deal before now.
Hope its just his agent telling him to wait till after the Euros to get the best deal.
Is he has not signed a new contract after the Euros we need to cash in whilst we can
I see Kamara as a key player. I’d be fighting to keep him ahead of some of the others. However, he has 2 years to go on his deal. Unless he agitates for a move we have no rush to sell.

Goldson, however, needs to sign a new deal or be sold. That simple. And if we sell Goldson we cannot sell any of the other defenders, such as Helander or Barisic. We don’t want wholesale changes in defence.

If we need two big sales then, for me, it would be one of Helander/Barisic - or Goldson if he fails to sign up - plus Morelos. Kent we have to hang onto and I’d want to keep Kamara as well.

I see Kamara as a key player. I’d be fighting to keep him ahead of some of the others. However, he has 2 years to go on his deal. Unless he agitates for a move we have no rush to sell.

Goldson, however, needs to sign a new deal or be sold. That simple. And if we sell Goldson we cannot sell any of the other defenders, such as Helander or Barisic. We don’t want wholesale changes in defence.

If we need two big sales then, for me, it would be one of Helander/Barisic - or Goldson if he fails to sign up - plus Morelos. Kent we have to hang onto and I’d want to keep Kamara as well.
I also see Kamara as a key player.
If he signs a new deal then great
However lets look at what can happen if he does not. We get to the summer of 2022, Kamara has one year left on his current contract. Clubs that are interested know they can sign him on a pre contract in 6 months time or offer to buy him. We of course want to sell, like you said with Goldson this summer.
How much do you think the buying club would need to offer us? Bearing in mind if we do not accept their offer we lose him for nothing. 5 million? Would we be forced to accept that? Probably.
I would rather take 12-15 million this summer and get another player on a 4 year contract

These boys will appreciate how rangers have been very good for their careers so I see them signing new deals with generous release clauses and a gentleman's agreement that they can go if there's a suitable offer from a club that they find attractive. Maybe being naive as I know how agents can influence players but I'd like to think they would make sure the club are suitably compensated.

We should have all our top assets tied to long contracts even if the intention is to sell at some point. Maximise the fee and avoid any bosman departures.

I think we need to accept that at least one big name will be sold this summer. As disappointing as that is I can see it being Kamara. Can also see Hagi maybe as another who leaves this summer.

I also see Kamara as a key player.
If he signs a new deal then great
However lets look at what can happen if he does not. We get to the summer of 2022, Kamara has one year left on his current contract. Clubs that are interested know they can sign him on a pre contract in 6 months time or offer to buy him. We of course want to sell, like you said with Goldson this summer.
How much do you think the buying club would need to offer us? Bearing in mind if we do not accept their offer we lose him for nothing. 5 million? Would we be forced to accept that? Probably.
I would rather take 12-15 million this summer and get another player on a 4 year contract
I look at it the other way. By next Summer Kamara has 12 months to go, I agree. To balance that though, he’s a year on in his development, he’s hopefully had a good Euros and he has played a swathe of matches in the Champions League:) . Plus he has another Champions medal in his pocket. There’s as strong an argument to say he will be worth more rather than less. Let’s look at Goldson. Last Summer he had two years to go, just like Kamara this Summer. Do you think Goldson is worth more now than last Summer, or less? I’d say the former, without a doubt.

Last edited:
I look at it the other way. By next Summer Kamara has 12 months to go, I agree. To balance that though, he’s a year on in his development, he’s hopefully had a good Euros and he has played a swathe of matches in the Champions League:) . Plus he has another Champions medal in his pocket. There’s as strong an argument to say he will be worth more rather than less. Let’s look at Goldson. Last Summer he had two years to go, just like Kamara this Summer. Do you think Goldson is worth more now than last Summer, or less? I’d say the former, without a doubt.
Yeah, I know what you are saying mate. They could be more valuable in a sense.
Then again clubs will only pay what they need to.
IMO if Goldson said he is not willing to sign a new deal we would accept offers of 3-4 million for him rather than getting nothing in 12 months, however if he had 3-4 years left there would be no need to accept that sum and we could demand at least double that.
In Kamaras case even with 12 months left he could command a bigger fee if there are 4/5 clubs interested. The interested clubs would know they would have to outbid the others.
The Goldson one is a funny one. I wonder if his agent is asking for too much and thats why nothing has happened

We need to keep 2. Morelos and Kent. We can improve on every other position by selling replaceable players.

I don't want to see any of them go, but ouf business model is to sell on and reinvest.

So as long as they don't all go at once, a suitable replacement is lined up and the valuation is right, then I'd be OK with it.

Speaking of valuation I see celtic claim to have recouped the 3.5 million on Klimala when they sold him to new york a few days ago. Whilst I don't believe the figure for a second, if that's he benchmark for a 4 million pound sale, we should be looking at accepting no less than 15-20 million for some our main assets.

I'd be tempted to take cash for Helander should it come. I still think Katic will be a massive player for us.

I am actually okay with the fact that Goldson wants to run his contract out, No biggie
However Kamara and Kent I would like to see new deals for

So did we with a certain Mr Laudrup. We've got to be hard nosed. No matter how much we want them to stay, if they go into the last year of their contract and won't sign a new one they have to be sold.
I guess you realise that they have to agree to be sold and that they could easily be just as “hard nosed” as you want the club to be.

Why?
If he’s “deserving” of this, who isn’t?
Tavernier and Morelos for sure and probably Kent as well.
Because if Goldson wanted to stay he would have signed by now.
He obviously does not want to or wants a wage that we were not willing to offer.
He has been a good servant.

Back