Signing players after Brexit

Thank you for agreeing with me.
Are you delusional? You are saying Brexit is a good thing. I have given you a host of evidence that it’s not and it will only get worse once it happens. You have given me a solitary, arbitrary figure of employment being high, without deeper analysis of the quality of the jobs or those that have left. I am pointing out that if part of the workforce has to leave, unemployment will fall both in terms of those employed and the demand overall.

Come back to me in 5 years and we will see how badly Britain has fared. I am not prepared to waste any more breath on the matter, when you simply ignore evidence.

Could be a daft question here but what’s the script with this?

Will players from Europe be subject to work permit checks? Has it been agreed yet?

All depends on 'the deal' made.

Leaving with no deal would be work permits, yes.

Leaving with a deal that still included free movement of people, would be business as usual.

Best thing to do is close this thread. The answer to the OP’s question is we simply don’t know until we know what the deal is, if any.

The nutjobs can pile into the lounge if they want to scream at each other about how amazing/terrible Brexit is.

Are you delusional? You are saying Brexit is a good thing. I have given you a host of evidence that it’s not and it will only get worse once it happens. You have given me a solitary, arbitrary figure of employment being high, without deeper analysis of the quality of the jobs or those that have left. I am pointing out that if part of the workforce has to leave, unemployment will fall both in terms of those employed and the demand overall.

Come back to me in 5 years and we will see how badly Britain has fared. I am not prepared to waste any more breath on the matter, when you simply ignore evidence.

Repeat after me .We are leaving on the 31st of October !! Cheerio! Cheerio!

Best thing to do is close this thread. The answer to the OP’s question is we simply don’t know until we know what the deal is, if any.

The nutjobs can pile into the lounge if they want to scream at each other about how amazing/terrible Brexit is.
Correct.

Nobody has the faintest idea how this is going to pan out.

The Premier League down south will not surrender players easily, I think they will use their power to get exceptions for footballers. Hopefully the Scottish leagues can piggyback on that.
Football won't be able to influence how Brexit pans out, any more than the farming industry. The usual lobbying rules and processes go out the window, especially with a no deal scenario. Feck knows what will happen but it wont be 'business as usual'.

The PL brings in £3.3bn revenue from abroad to the UK and the players huge wages are taxed at 45%, no chance it will effect footballers. The PL is probably one of the UK's biggest "export" brands. No chance they will damage it.

Last edited:
It would be up to the Brittish government to decide what to do regarding work permits, but I can't see them doing anything that would affect the Premiership negatively and I'm sure whatever rules they come up with will be UK wide so we should be safe.

As someone else pointed out the loss of value in the pound is a bigger issue for us. At the end of 2015, a pound was worth 1.4 euros. It's not worth 1.06. We now have a third less purchasing power for European players.

Slight concern if things go really tits up it might be awkward for fans to get visas for Euro away nights too. Though I doubt the EU will make things difficult on that front.

We should be looking to snap up all the talented young Brits who will be released by the top European clubs. Ehm! but there are none. ☺

I work in recruitment mate, so see employment decisions first hand. Britain has lost a huge amount of jobs because of Brexit and it will continue to do so. Uncertainty can be potentially a cause to an extent, but it’s not the press’ fault. Brexit was always going to be a disaster for Britain. There is no economic argument otherwise.
If the uncertainty is that bad, why do you still have a job?

Germany are also on the Brink of recession no doubt they will be blaming it on Brexit as well.

The Premiership is a cash cow for too many individuals and institutions. The UK govt will bend over backwards to accommodate the EPL's needs. The govt won't want all that juicy tax revenue threatened.

Typical Remoaner literally would rather the country failed so you can smugly say "I told you so"

Fucking ridiculous.

Traveling to CL matches in the EU might take longer getting through Customs instead of just walking through.
Would it be any different from travelling to the countries we travelled to before they were part of the EU? ie Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria etc? Used to be the odd hold up for busses at border posts back then.in this computer age it surely would be far easier nowadays.

All I know the sooner we leave the sooner we will know what is happening and what, if any damaged has been done.
We can move on and fix it. There is a big wolrd with loads of countries that will buy and sell our goods. Maybe, ..just Maybe we can start out manufacturing industries back up and get away from this "Service industry" culture.
We ARE a nation of inventors and are a Highly Skilled people. We did it before and I am certain we can do it again.
All we need is the political will, with the right people in charge.

Could be a daft question here but what’s the script with this?

Will players from Europe be subject to work permit checks? Has it been agreed yet?

No, it won’t be a problem. Visa’s through the home office are fast tracked with the football association providing backing.

Not a daft question, but seeing as they have so far agreed on nothing I think it's fair to say no-one has a clue what will happen here. I have a feeling they'll get some kind of agreement, bizarre as it may sound seeing their favourite team losing all their good players will have a bigger effect on a lot of people than seeing the economy go down the tubes.

Signing rules could become easier just as likely as they become harder. Football manager is a game. Not real life

I work in recruitment mate, so see employment decisions first hand. Britain has lost a huge amount of jobs because of Brexit and it will continue to do so. Uncertainty can be potentially a cause to an extent, but it’s not the press’ fault. Brexit was always going to be a disaster for Britain. There is no economic argument otherwise.
Construction is normally the barometer for recession or boom, and neither has manifested yet. Not forgetting Germany is going into recession, and Italy want to leave also now. The Eu are in a predicament now. I was a remain voter.

Couple of issues I guess.
We need to assume that the rules that apply to worldwide players will also apply to EU players. However, the current government seems to be keen on assessing immigration by salary, rather than skills requirements/shortages, so this would actually be less likely to be an issue overall for transfers.
Second issue is that the pound continues to fall against the euro and dollar, so the reality is that transfer fees and wages are going to cost us more, so budgets won’t go as far.

Construction is normally the barometer for recession or boom, and neither has manifested yet. Not forgetting Germany is going into recession, and Italy want to leave also now. The Eu are in a predicament now. I was a remain voter.

Last poll I saw for Italy was 72% to Remain, where is the new information that people want to leave? Mine is from April, haven’t seen any more recent ones, tbh, just curious.

No, it won’t be a problem. Visa’s through the home office are fast tracked with the football association providing backing.

I think this could be the rub of the problem.

I am just teensy little bit anti-Brexit as anyone who recalls my username from when I was allowed to post facts in the clusterfuck thread in the lounge might recognise. But even I would accept that no one knows how it will affect football. And I would think that indy Britain would be very keen to support the EPL. That said, you’d think similar about other important services with high rate tax payer like doctors but the Tories were at one point talking up kicking out non-Brits from medicine as they ran towards the weird demographics of their base.

I think most likely football immigration would be relatively unaffected with exceptions to any immigration restriction. Much like in all other areas of immigration, Brexit might actually make it easier for non-EU folk to come to the UK as they will be needed to replace the EU folk who choose to stay away.

The 2 big risks would be:
1) falling pound. It looks very likely that a chaotic Boris brexit could make sterling lose 5-10% against the euro. That doesn’t just make the cost of buying Europeans rise, it also makes sterling wages less appealling to all players. Your elite players get more bang for their buck getting their cash in euros than in sterling, especially if they wish to play abroad at any point in their career.

And, most importantly for Rangers:
2) any immigration exception rules will be dependent on political support and/or football association support for the deals. It would seem likely that rules would be modelled on the current non-EU rules whereby a panel decides if you can bypass ‘usual’ immigration rules. This will be fine for almost everyone, possibly even making the purchase of foreign players easier.

But does anyone on here have any faith that a political or SFA panel will cause Rangers anything but problems?

Last poll I saw for Italy was 72% to Remain, where is the new information that people want to leave? Mine is from April, haven’t seen any more recent ones, tbh, just curious.
It was on the news yesterday mate, the Italians are sick of the EU financially using a stick to beat them.

Also very interesting to see this thread in the bear pit. Nice to see a spread of opinions closer to reality and Scottish demographics here than in the lounge.

Short answer to the OP is that nobody knows.

Long answer involves various possible scenarios. If EU nationals become subject to work permit requirements then it could potentially limit players coming to the UK from weaker leagues and it could limit the number of EU players signed by lower league clubs.

I think this could be the rub of the problem.

I am just teensy little bit anti-Brexit as anyone who recalls my username from when I was allowed to post facts in the clusterfuck thread in the lounge might recognise. But even I would accept that no one knows how it will affect football. And I would think that indy Britain would be very keen to support the EPL. That said, you’d think similar about other important services with high rate tax payer like doctors but the Tories were at one point talking up kicking out non-Brits from medicine as they ran towards the weird demographics of their base.

I think most likely football immigration would be relatively unaffected with exceptions to any immigration restriction. Much like in all other areas of immigration, Brexit might actually make it easier for non-EU folk to come to the UK as they will be needed to replace the EU folk who choose to stay away.

The 2 big risks would be:
1) falling pound. It looks very likely that a chaotic Boris brexit could make sterling lose 5-10% against the euro. That doesn’t just make the cost of buying Europeans rise, it also makes sterling wages less appealling to all players. Your elite players get more bang for their buck getting their cash in euros than in sterling, especially if they wish to play abroad at any point in their career.

And, most importantly for Rangers:
2) any immigration exception rules will be dependent on political support and/or football association support for the deals. It would seem likely that rules would be modelled on the current non-EU rules whereby a panel decides if you can bypass ‘usual’ immigration rules. This will be fine for almost everyone, possibly even making the purchase of foreign players easier.

But does anyone on here have any faith that a political or SFA panel will cause Rangers anything but problems?

Football exits out of the normal realm Mate. A Player has a criteria to meet based on Caps or potential for call ups that an Association then rubber stamps or gives reason why it can’t. It is then fast tracked by the home office. Brexit will have no impact on that process. The falling pound, it’s already at a recession low with investors pitching against a worst case scenario and won’t fall further if it’s no deal. Look we pay tariff on trade, trade doesn’t stop. Rather than hand over higher membership money, higher than most to the EU as one of the best performing economy’s we pay tariff. Yeah for a while it is likely to leave is not as well off as Boris put on a bus. But put down the paper Mate the left wing liberal press are pissed off at the end of free movement and putting the fear of god in people. Consumer index is high, unemployment at its lowest in 30 years and wages on record levels of increase. A lower pound is attractive to America and Canada to buy from us. This “crash out” although not ideal it’s bollocks as it’s also not doomsday.

Football exits out of the normal realm Mate. A Player has a criteria to meet based on Caps or potential for call ups that an Association then rubber stamps or gives reason why it can’t. It is then fast tracked by the home office. Brexit will have no impact on that process. The falling pound, it’s already at a recession low with investors pitching against a worst case scenario and won’t fall further if it’s no deal. Look we pay tariff on trade, trade doesn’t stop. Rather than hand over higher membership money, higher than most to the EU as one of the best performing economy’s we pay tariff. Yeah for a while it is likely to leave is not as well off as Boris put on a bus. But put down the paper Mate the left wing liberal press are pissed off at the end of free movement and putting the fear of god in people. Consumer index is high, unemployment at its lowest in 30 years and wages on record levels of increase. A lower pound is attractive to America and Canada to buy from us. This “crash out” although not ideal it’s bollocks as it’s also not doomsday.

Not going to get involved in a brexit debate in the bear pit. Plenty of good info out there for those who want to read it. But a no deal Brexit is not priced into sterling at present. The risk is. The reality would cause a further substantial fall.

But the immigration issue is real for Rangers. We both agree how that would go down - panels to prevent football being affected much no matter what the U.K. law.

I just place no faith at all in panels being beneficial to Rangers.

Construction is not growing, it is stagnating. It is about to rip into recession. Before Brexit.

Not going to get involved in a brexit debate in the bear pit. Plenty of good info out there for those who want to read it. But a no deal Brexit is not priced into sterling at present. The risk is. The reality would cause a further substantial fall.

But the immigration issue is real for Rangers. We both agree how that would go down - panels to prevent football being affected much no matter what the U.K. law.

I just place no faith at all in panels being beneficial to Rangers.

Right curb Brexit talk you are right.

But why would there be any change to the current process? Only one Player (Jason Scotland) has failed to have his move rubber stamped since signing for a Scottish Club. Can’t see why Brexit would now be used as an excuse to hamper us. We inherit European law and then we adapt what we want (that’s already passed as what will happen) why on earth would the UK government put any barriers on one of its largest imports and products (football) not going to happen. This part will remain as is. As will the creative artist visa’s for touring Bands and solo artists.

Right curb Brexit talk you are right.

But why would there be any change to the current process? Only one Player (Jason Scotland) has failed to have his move rubber stamped since signing for a Scottish Club. Can’t see why Brexit would now be used as an excuse to hamper us. We inherit European law and then we adapt what we want (that’s already passed as what will happen) why on earth would the UK government put any barriers on one of its largest imports and products (football) not going to happen. This part will remain as is. As will the creative artist visa’s for touring Bands and solo artists.

Agree.

But the non-EU immigration panels in football already sway towards favouring certain situations. Our applications commonly take a lot longer than certain other teams to be processed.

I also recall another player barred by an immigration panel - Jardel. I had the misfortune of once meeting a politician (labour before folk think my prejudices run only one way) who was involved in that process. Whilst drunk he was bragging about making it obstructive for Rangers.

Anything where subjective views are involved caries risk. And the involvement of politicians or the SFA is not likely to be beneficial to us.

Could really work against British sides. Brexit is a clusterfuuck, which has already had and which will continue to have a hugely negative financial effect on Britain for generations but I’m sure those that voted for it will still back their decision.

Amazing that you know what will happen but no one else does, can I have a shot of your crystal ball please, I want to put a coupon on.

What a fantastic thread.

We almost got to the first CL Final with the "8 diddies" rule in place.

I'm certain we had overseas players before the "Freedom of Movement" chapter was written into the acquis communautaire.

Back