Signing players after Brexit

I never realised that all the regulations were based on where we are geographically rather than politically. Starting to wonder what the point in the referendum was if everything just carries on regardless.
A referendum is an opinion poll, no more and no less. The difference between that and somebody catching you at a street corner or a row of shops, is that one is run by the government and the other by a polling organisation. This is something that is deliberately kept quiet.

Build a wall to keep Pena out. We could have more scope to sign non EU players too I’d think.

Be much the same as Norway, Switzerland, Turkey etc are dealt with I would imagine .

The point is not about Brexit per se causing problems (other than devaluing our currency to make fees and wages dearer). It’s about how national governments deal with immigration. At present EU folk can move seamlessly to the UK. After Brexit we have no idea. Given that, for many, the immigration issue is the predominant driving force in their view on the issue, it would be tricky for a Brexiteer government to be pro-immigration (though I strongly suspect that the elites at the top of the Brexit movement will be keen to divert their cheap labour from Eastern Europe to Asia). As such, it would seem likely that Britain will become a more difficult country to enter, at least for Europeans, as a result of our government’s policies. Norway and Switzerland are already actually easier for EU citizens to enter than the U.K. as they have chosen to be part of the schengen area. No idea what the Turkish government does about immigration.

In the U.K., I doubt football will be affected much as the government and FAs will be keen to bypass any restrictions for many reasons. But the sorts of processes that are likely to by involved in bypassing restrictions will open transfers up to subjective review by politicians and SFA officials, two things that are unlikely to be very friendly towards us.

I’m worried. Not about it affecting transfers in general much other than the finances. But about it being an opportunity to create another stick to beat us with.

Back