Simple things you miss about the football

Midweek games in the winter - getting in early and watching the stands get busy and the little shards of light as people light up cigarettes.
The thing I miss most is having the choice to pick and choose games you can actually attend and especially the games you really want to go to but have no chance to because of the ticket situation. Having a season ticket helps those who have one but going to games on impulse is impossible these days. I also miss moving from behind one goal to the other end at half time

Terracing, being at away games late 80's, early 90's being spat at by opposition fans who were right next to you bar a metal fence. Good times.

3pm Saturday kick offs for away games especially Aberdeen

Bus at 7 am in Aberdeen for opening time, stop off in Coupar Angus or Auchterarder on way back

Great day out usually spoiled by the game

Having your own crash barrier with you and your mates names carved on it where you would stand every home game. Also getting transfers from the terracing into the Main and Cemetery Stand.

Meeting up with friends on the terracings and the camaraderie. Buying the green Evening Citizen and pink Evening Times afterwards.
Travelling all over on the football specials to watch the team. Its the small things that make the greatest memories and nostalgia. I loved it and I miss it..

When the Club Deck first opened (I was just a kid) we occasionally got use of some tickets up there and there were two old boys in front of us like Statler and Waldorf. A right pair of characters, they used to give me sweets etc.
They smoked cigars during the game, even now when I smell a cigar I think of them.
Did they sit front row by any chance? Just to the right of halfway? I remember being a game when half a cigar fell from the club deck and landed in someone's hood!

New Year's Day 1994. I will never watch a better game via text B-D
I remember listening to that game on the radio at my great grandparent's house. He was a Thistle man but would always back us, unless we were playing Thistle. He despised the filth and loved an Orange Walk.
I still think it's the only game I've heard all of on the radio.

Did they sit front row by any chance? Just to the right of halfway? I remember being a game when half a cigar fell from the club deck and landed in someone's hood!

:))

Nearer the Copland, around 18 yard box

Last edited:
:))

Nearer the Copland, around 18 year box
This could be them, I sat to the right of the Rangers dugout, behind the radio gantry. I've never forgotten that and the chaos it caused, I'm glad the culprits have been unearthed.

As a child ,tightly pressed against the white brick tunnel and the Rangers team coming out ,getting a high five from a player and once patted Jock Wallace on the shoulder lol.

Another memory ,either before kick off or at half time but in the East Enclosure you could perch down as you climbed the stairs up to the terracing ,you could see the red ash area and sometimes players kicking the ball about ,simple yet fun too.

Another is the old Albion training ground and seeing players walk over from Ibrox to train ,amazing as a youngster.

Fast forward to today and I miss a Saturday and Wednesday game

Walking back from the game with my mates and grabbing a bite to eat at the wee Bakers on Gower St before continuing on to KP for our post game Pub crawl.

Now I live stream on RTV, 7hrs behind UK time and have coffee and breakfast post game.
same here I make tattie scones and slice sauage to try and make it more like home.

The wee Rangers shop on the corner of Copland road. Always taken in as a kid on match day. Absolutely heaving every time. Always seemed to have the stock you wanted to hand. Looked forward to going in every match day as a wee guy.

Clyde Superscoreboard with Richard Park and James Sanderson
For some reason you only got the Last 10 minutes of the first half and the whole of the second half live

Being able to walk from west to east enclosure, or vice versa , under the tv gantry depending on which way we were shooting.

I miss drinking at the stairs at the back of the Copland , off the bus and straight into Haddows, then standing talking pish and meeting all sorts of bears , old and new.

Getting sent to get the pink paper on a Saturday night

Anyone else have that?
Yep - used to get sent out at the back of 6 come rain or shine to get it so my old man could check his coupon. There'd be a wee scrum of all the local paperboys at the car that would bring them getting theirs for delivering and used to just get one of off one of them.

Yep - used to get sent out at the back of 6 come rain or shine to get it so my old man could check his coupon. There'd be a wee scrum of all the local paperboys at the car that would bring them getting theirs for delivering and used to just get one of off one of them.

Back