Simpson has 'made his mind up' over Rangers move

Bournemouth were quite reasonable with the Defoe loan/transfer so I wouldn’t be surprised to get them in before Monday. It’s a win win for us as gives them plenty of time to settle into the squad

So we're basically getting them both before Monday.

Looks like it to me. The way the Bournemouth manager is speaking there its basically a done deal. When you combine that with what the gaffer said today then it looks promising. Would be good to get all 3 in now to give them time to adjust to our style/tactics in advance of next season. I think Wright is gonna surprise a few if he can stay fit

I suspect with simpson it suggests edmundson may be going on loan, although unsure of his injury situation. Still young, he has experience at PL and championship, plus he is 6 foot 2 so a big lad. Oboforh, given his age and inexperience is a good one to bring in now, bed in and push for a place in eventuality that kamara is sold.

Hopefully this isn’t a regular thing from him (Salah’s goal) :oops:
Is it just me or were Bournemouth playing Simpson who is a left footed player at right centre back :oops:
Second one he did well to intercept but never got back in quick enough or passed it on earlier when he had won it, he’s a young lad so hopefully all his mistakes have happened down there.

Is it just me or were Bournemouth playing Simpson who is a left footed player at right centre back :oops:
Second one he did well to intercept but never got back in quick enough or passed it on earlier when he had won it, he’s a young lad so hopefully all his mistakes have happened down there.
They do that down there to stop pressing, but you'd only do that if you'd trained someone to do it for weeks.

Because as soon as defenders open up their body to take a touch before a pass they are put under pressure by top side strikers who are taught to recognise body language.

Therefore they were given the opposite CB roles so they have to take it first time and speed up the play.

Basically, it's poor management of an inexperienced player.

Until the summer ffs

leave things as they are now
We've been spread thin with absences over the last few weeks with the likes of Arfield, Jack, and Roofe being out injured. If we can get an extra three bodies in the door to help with cover if we end up in a similar situation, then it's no bad thing.

It also gives them time to bed in now; they can get used to the training and tactics between now and the end of the season, rather than trying to pick it up over the summer. We've had a few players who've taken time to get used to the demands of the management and the style of play in Scotland.

Yes times are so uncertain that any early arrivals are eliminating some risk which could theoretically impact next season . So long as the funding seems reasonable you have to say it is appealing and the spend could even become negligible if we make CL groups .

an opportunity

Last edited:
They do that down there to stop pressing, but you'd only do that if you'd trained someone to do it for weeks.

Because as soon as defenders open up their body to take a touch before a pass they are put under pressure by top side strikers who are taught to recognise body language.

Therefore they were given the opposite CB roles so they have to take it first time and speed up the play.

Basically, it's poor management of an inexperienced player.
That’s very interesting mate thanks for raising it .

something that’s been mentioned during the podcasts is that opponents have closed down our rhs of defence ie Goldson and Tavernier to cause a disconnect of our playing out via them - and coupled with a limitation on our lhs means we are forced into playing a different way . Therefore this could be why we are looking for more of a footballing lhs CD for the squad .

given we went for Cooper from millwall and Simpson previously this does seem like what we have aspired to for a few seasons . Leaves me wondering if SG and coaches feel Helander isn’t quite skilled enough to fulfill that role .

Last edited:
Until the summer ffs

leave things as they are now
I don’t think we’re bringing them in to change things before summer. It’s forward planning to get players in and comfortable ready for euro qualifiers. Watch how we play and get some minutes to get used to the system. Much better than trying to rebuild a team purely on the training ground after some players have been sold.

How many players do we need?

Hope we are not tinkering too much

the old saying “if its not broke dont fix it”
Building for next season, I think we will cash in on the likes of Kamara, Tav and possibly Alfie in the summer so it's good planning from the club

The delay in the Scottish cup tie could prove to be beneficial, if it goes ahead this season. It means we could potentially bed in any new signings and give them game time against Cove Rangers. Hopefully we get this pair and Wright in by the end of the month and bed them in for next season.

I'm a sucker for new signings. Would also think some of our fringe players will be heading out the door soon as well.

I get what your saying but I don’t think you can stand still in football. Always need to be looking at freshening things up.

As long as the players charcuterie isn’t toxic to the changing room and I’m pretty sure our coaching team are doing there due diligence with that. I remember Gerrard saying when we signed Balogun that he had spoken with the coaching team at Wigan about how Leon conducted himself.

We're going to be selling players in the summer/some are getting on a bit. While the new players may not contribute massively in this campaign, it's a sensible move getting them bedded in and up to speed for next season.

Makes perfect sense to try and get all 3 in this window if we can and let them integrate into the squad.

Reckon all 3 are going to be upgrades/replacements moving forward next season.. Wright for Jones/Stewart, Oboforh for Zungu?, Simpson for Edmundson.

Definitiely helps get some out the door if this is the quality of squad player we are bringing in. Low risk and will have some value to be able to move on should it not work out. Edmondson needs to get out and play and mature a bit.

There's going to be some sales in the summer so makes sense to have your house in order before folk move on. Not sure any of the young players coming through will be affected by these two either which is positive.

Haven't seen either of them play, but it makes sense to try get them now if possible. Get them settled and ready for next season

Get the feeling that the 2 signings from Bournemouth and Wright are the next phase in the development of our scouting system where we are trying to sign players just before they perform at a level where the value goes through the roof.

Don‘t think any of us can say with any degree of certainty how they will work out because there is nothing in their CV‘s which indicates real quality but Wilson and Gerrard have earned our trust with signings.

Back