Simpson has 'made his mind up' over Rangers move

How many players do we need?

Hope we are not tinkering too much

the old saying “if its not broke dont fix it”
We should be continually strengthening and brining the right players at all levels when they are available and it makes business sense to do so. Strengthening from a position of strength is something that Neic has failed to do over the years and a reason this season has been such a walk in the park.

They're due a huge rebuild and don't have the money, we avoid that by bringing the right players in when they are available at a low fee and giving them time to settle in without pressure.

Better than paying millions upon millions when in desperate need and then having them thrown in without having time to settle and then subsequently flopping.

Think how long some players take to settle, our system takes a lot of getting used to, there's a lot of tactical instruction and a different level of fitness. Getting players in early, cheap, when we don't have a desperate need to throw them in the deep end makes great sense in a lot of ways.

Forward planning, it's a foreign concept.

Last edited:
Didn't they turn down a bid from Cardiff for Simpson of about half a million? We're not paying that kind of money, but obviously signing the pre contract changes the situation completely.
If he does sign, we're selling Edmundson.

Get them in see what they can do, they must have something the scouts think is worth the contract. If they succeed then great if they don’t move them on every club does it.
We cannot stand still and admire the team we have at the moment we must always look to improve.

Wright, Simpson and Oforboh all wanted this month must mean there is going to be an exodus of fringe players as our squad is already quite bloated as it is.

I’m excited by this the management keeping looking forward no standing still, big Connor needs rest now and again so it makes sense with adding another CB in Simpson.I know absolutely nothing about Ofoborh but I trust Gerrard and Wilson.Just hoping we can get to see them at Ibrox before the end of the season so frustrating not being able to see the Gers in this monumental season.

Wouldn’t expect much from Simpson other than he’d likely be an Edmundson replacement

Ofoborh is the interesting proposition. Looks like there’s something there. An absolute unit
If you are saying the boy isn't just a unit, but an 'absolute unit' then i'm in.

It is all very well saying Gerrard and Wilson have earned our trust, sure they can spot a player, but when it comes to 'units' then @SuperGers07 is the poster who's opinion i am waiting on. ;)

Make it happen board! :D

Get them in see what they can do, they must have something the scouts think is worth the contract. If they succeed then great if they don’t move them on every club does it.
We cannot stand still and admire the team we have at the moment we must always look to improve.

Always.

Even the great CL winning Liverpool team of the 1980’s would buy two quality players each season, constantly trying to progress further.

Ouch.

But you probably remember that phase. Three CL victories I think ?
Off topic a bit, but from memory some of their late 70s and early 80s signings who ended up most successful in replacing excellent players were bought quite cheap from small clubs.

Hansen from Thistle
Nicol from Ayr
Rush from Chester
Grobbelaar from the Zimbabwe jungle patrol!

They spent big too, they got their recruitment balance right.

Off topic a bit, but from memory some of their late 70s and early 80s signings who ended up most successful in replacing excellent players were bought quite cheap from small clubs.

Hansen from Thistle
Nicol from Ayr
Rush from Chester

Yes, they were a fantastically run club.

Hansen from Thistle
Nicol from Ayr
Rush from Chester

Their best signing from a small Scottish club has to be Dalglish for £440,000 back in 1977. ( approx £2.7m in today's money )

Timothy got mugged in broad daylight.

2nd one there his fault too. Way out of position.
I wouldn't agree with that. The right back was exposed but he moved to line up with the two centre backs. If the left back had done the same it would have been offside. Basically, it was 50% the right backs fault, 25% the left back and 25% the defensive unit.

According to his wiki page Simpson has played 20 games for Bournemouth and that’s it!? What’s he been doing his whole career? He’s 24!

Looks like he's been bench-warming instead of going on loan.

I wouldn't let it bother us, Goldson only had 3 EPL games and twenty odd Championship under his belt at Brighton before joining at age 25 (though 100+ at Shrewsbury at lower levels).

Simpson is at least in double figures in the top league down there.

Hansen from Thistle
Nicol from Ayr
Rush from Chester

They signed players and most didn't get in the team for at least half a season until they could play the Liverpool way.

Seems to be what we are looking at.

Looks like he's been bench-warming instead of going on loan.

I wouldn't let it bother us, Goldson only had 3 EPL games and twenty odd Championship under his belt at Brighton before joining at age 25 (though 100+ at Shrewsbury at lower levels).

Simpson is at least in double figures in the top league down there.

As you say, Goldson had loads of senior games under his belt. To the extent that Brighton bought him from Shrewsbury so I don’t really see the comparison to be honest. This guy is 24 and got 20 games to his name. Don’t get me wrong he could end up a great signing for us and I’ve total faith in our player scouting these days, I just can’t really get too excited about a player that’s barely had a sniff of first team football.

He won’t be coming in now unless Edmundson goes out, which I don’t think is likely. In the summer either Edmundson or Balogun are moving on though. It must be satisfying for Wilson to get this done as it is one less position to spend time on in what will be a hectic time in the summer. Get the fringe players sorted now and it will allow more time to be put into a bigger signing.

Their best signing from a small Scottish club has to be Dalglish for £440,000 back in 1977. ( approx £2.7m in today's money )

Timothy got mugged in broad daylight.
Dalglish was a UK record transfer fee at the time. Keegan went to Hamburg for £500k, Liverpool replaced him with Dalglish. Dalglish was an experienced player when he left Celtic, having played over 300 games, with over 160 goals. He was a wonderful player. Celtic certainly didn't get mugged, they got top dollar for a player who told them he wanted out.

My love of units is there for all to see.

tenor.gif

Back