Sir Alex Ferguson says the Boys' Brigade taught him teamwork

The 264 at Tron St Mary’s (Red Road), then the 188 at “wee Albert” and Springburn North Hill Parish, then the 25th at Sprinburn Parish.

The amount of work on your own initiative to achieve the Queen’s Badge, tought you a lot about yourself.

Loved my time in the BB.

1st Whitburn for me.

I often wondered, and can't find the answer online, how were the companies given their names? I'd always assumed it was given as the order in which the company was.formed in that place, so 1st Whitburn was the first in our town?

Surely there weren't 203 other companies before 204 Rutherglen?

9th Cumbernauld, won the fitba league the year after I was too old to play, my old man was the manager. Happy days.

4th Kirky. Great days. A company so big we had to farm the junior section out to Hillhead Primary. No room at the church for us all. :)

205, Eaglesham myself. Great company.

Son was Best Boy at 16th Paisley last year in his first year. As Sir Alex would say, I was "vewy pwoud".

1st Whitburn for me.

I often wondered, and can't find the answer online, how were the companies given their names? I'd always assumed it was given as the order in which the company was.formed in that place, so 1st Whitburn was the first in our town?

Surely there weren't 203 other companies before 204 Rutherglen?

I assume the Rutherglen company are in Glasgow, so they'll have been the 204th company created in Glasgow.

You've got 1st Elderslie, 1st Paisley etc.

Must be different districts?

I was in the Lifeboys and the BB. 234 Drumchapel, great football team at the time.

16th Glasgow, Croftfoot.

In my day we had 3 football teams, 2 played in the morning and the big one was the afternoon team. There was the Cathcart District league and the winner of that played in the Glasgow Battalion league the next season with all the other District champions. My mates son is an officer in his old company and he was telling me the other week that there is no league now as they don't have the numbers. Changed days, the BB always seemed to have something to keep you busy.

Proud to have spent 7 years at 1st Grangemouth, really regret leaving when I was 16 wish I had stayed in until I was 18.

Was in 1st Stonehouse. Used to have some football team.
Think just everybody went to the BBs when I was younger. Only the weirdos went to the Scouts.

I’m the 4th generation BB’s. 1st Halkirk Branch.

The Boy’s Brigade museum is located in William Smith’s birthtown of Thurso and it’s in a room dedicated to my Great Grandad who was awarded a BEM for services to the brigade.

Sure and Stedfast

I'm auld enough to have been in the Life Boys, then transferred into the Boys' Brigade - 1st Port Glasgow Company.
I too am old enough to have been in the Life Boys in Townhead with Billy Sloan the chief music journalist with the Record and Mail, we then moved to Ibrox and I joined 126 BB in Craigton Primary school. Our Captain served with The Dambuster Squadron during the war

I was in the Life Boys and then the BB, great company 268 Bishopbriggs, the best in town!! Loved going on church parades, as he would turn out 100+. We were a big company, we had 5 football teams, playing in the New Kilpatrick League. Got selected for the league representative team, was great playing against other battalions - Perth, Dundee, EK from memory.

Learned many life skills from my time in the BB.

A good summary.
When my boy is old enough I'll encourage him to go to the AB and BB.
Although neither his mother or I are religious in anyway I still think it instills good values and a degree of discipline.

I’m the same, not religious in the slightest but would like to get my son into the BBs when he’s old enough. At the time I didn’t really think much of it but the values and experiences have definitely stood me in good stead. Wish I’d carried on into the company section now.

1st Saltcoats

Back