Six games remaining and 4pts behind them

My preference is null and void, that is not going to happen. We are 13 points behind them and no matter how optimistic we maybe we ain't going to catch them.
The whole point though is that being the favourites no matter how heavy favourites (Liverpool included) you can't be awarded a title you haven't won.

Is it likely that if the season is played out we will catch them? No it's not. In fact it's highly unlikely.

Is it possible? In simple arithmetical terms yes despite how unlikely it seems.

Did I watch us after the winter break? Yes I did and I remember how poor we were but I also remember how good we were prior to that and how good we are capable of being.

Could anyone reasonably have predicted how poor we would play and how poor results would be when we returned from the winter break? No it was a total shock to everyone how things turned around.

Is it possible that, particularly given the extended break which is more like the traditional summer break, we come back and play more like we did first half of the season? Yes.

Are we capable of winning our game in hand and of beating Celtic twice? Undoubtedly.

Is it conceivable that TLRB, who has thrown away titles in the home straight previously as both a player and as a manager from seemingly unassailable positions, could fck it up again? Possibly and probably the reason that, despite what they are now saying, they would rather the season be called off and the title handed to them.

It's one of the great attractions of this beautiful game. The underdog comes out on top every so often, teams from a position of strength somehow seem to crumble on occasions, and teams with seemingly no chance of success emerge victorious.

This is why, despite how unlikely it may seem, we cannot simply roll over and accept them being given a title that they did not win.

And yet we will never know if that was to be the case.

Happy for them them to be gifted the title then?

Certainly not but anyone saying ‘we will definitely beat them twice and win our game in hand’ is clearly taking vast amounts of mind-altering drugs.

Certainly not but anyone saying ‘we will definitely beat them twice and win our game in hand’ is clearly taking vast amounts of mind-altering drugs.
I've read many outlining the possibility of the gap being reduced to 4 points with 6 games left. Not so sure I've read many definites.

The possibility of Rangers winning the league, along with every other division title and relegation still being up for grabs is all that should be considered by the SPFL. The likelihood is irrelevant, the possibility isn't.

It's one of the great attractions of this beautiful game. The underdog comes out on top every so often, teams from a position of strength somehow seem to crumble on occasions, and teams with seemingly no chance of success emerge victorious.

An excellent phrase, and one I'd like to see being used in any of our arguments over any "gifting" of a title, specifying just how much we must refer back to sporting integrity.

A few examples of unexpected late league winning runs, even Cup Final shocks, also wouldn't go amiss.

Our team is very capable of getting big results as they have shown since Stevie G took over. We would have won 55 this season.
I admire people's optimisim but we have been terrible since Dubai. We were/are heading for another trophyless year.
The best we can hope for is null and void or a tainted trophy.
The worst is a restart and they go on to win it on the park.

It is highly unlikely, in fact the odds against it happening would be incredible, that if the leagues were played to a conclusion every team in all four divisions would finish in exactly the same position as they are now.
Teams that are favourites or in pole position for titles and/or promotion will falter and teams currently in the relegation or playoff spots will escape.
And while this is the case to have titles declared and promotion/relegation decided on an incomplete and uneven set of fixtures is fundamentally wrong.

All this “remember we were pish” stuff isn’t really the point is it?

There are more than enough opportunities left to catch them, they could also win the league by 20 points

I don’t know how it pans out but that’s EXACTLY the point, there are too many ifs and buts to award a title to someone with around quarter of matches left to play...

Our team is very capable of getting big results as they have shown since Stevie G took over. We would have won 55 this season.
Could have won it - probably wouldn't have, but, yeah, could have. 'Would have' though? Kidding yourself on a bit, there.

With the rest and a preseason - we could come flying out of the blocks. We don’t know. It was clear that a few has lost some confidence, however, with the time football will have been stopped for. IMO - the form before the break is neither here nor there.

Not willing to concede any League to them at that point but also not going to try and pretend we were all confident of turning it round before the shutdown.

Anyone who started a hypothetical optimistic thread of us beating them twice and it being game on was called delusional.

Take @MearnsUnionist point on board re it's the same group of players who started the season on fire though. Play the remaining 9 games and see where we are.

I recall some pretty good results against Braga...

I think we would have raised our game against Celtic and could easily have won them. This group clearly perform better against better sides and when seen as underdogs.

It’s when we are favourites that we’ve fallen apart.
It's not games against Celtic that worries me it's the way we,'ve played against the smaller teams.

Since we are effectively starting pre-season again, and going by your logic, we will be in a much better position than we found ourselves after the winter break. Bring it on I say.
It's not going by my logic mate .it just stating a fact.

I'm not so sure. If it restarts in June for example we are going to be hell of a rusty. Yes they have been on a break since middle of March but we've not been playing since before New Year!

Is it likely that if the season is played out we will catch them? No it's not. In fact it's highly unlikely.

Is it possible? In simple arithmetical terms yes despite how unlikely it seems.

Did I watch us after the winter break? Yes I did and I remember how poor we were but I also remember how good we were prior to that and how good we are capable of being.

Could anyone reasonably have predicted how poor we would play and how poor results would be when we returned from the winter break? No it was a total shock to everyone how things turned around.

Is it possible that, particularly given the extended break which is more like the traditional summer break, we come back and play more like we did first half of the season? Yes.

Are we capable of winning our game in hand and of beating Celtic twice? Undoubtedly.

Is it conceivable that TLRB, who has thrown away titles in the home straight previously as both a player and as a manager from seemingly unassailable positions, could fck it up again? Possibly and probably the reason that, despite what they are now saying, they would rather the season be called off and the title handed to them.

This is why, despite how unlikely it may seem, we cannot simply roll over and accept them being given a title that they did not win.

This times a million.

Of course it's unlikely - still possible though.

And no team should be awarded something they haven't "won"

With being the first game at Ibrox and if we were to beat then it would defo install some doubt into them.

Anything is possible.

Pre corona there's only one winner , if it were to resume with first game at Ibrox I'd fancy our chances of at least going close in the league.
Close isn,t winning it mate.the team at this moment seems to lack a winning spirit.not sure why this is two seasons in a row.yes we know the braga results.

Total fantasy stuff.

We'd beat them twice, beat St. Johnstone and lose to some muck like Motherwell to kill it off.

It's not impossible mathematically but let's face it, we had all written the season off before this all started.

Has it really only taken this short a time span for people to forget how bad we’ve been this year?
That is irrelevant, we need to be given the opportunity to regain our form and get back on track, remember Helicopter Sunday?

To an extent yes .but they have a big cushioning the points department.

Im in complete agreement with you dude and to be fair their goal difference is pretty much like an extra point.

It’s all going to be very interesting to see how it all pans out over the next few weeks.

Priority for me is the country getting a hold of this virus before we even start thinking about football again.

Im in complete agreement with you dude and to be fair their goal difference is pretty much like an extra point.

It’s all going to be very interesting to see how it all pans out over the next few weeks.

Priority for me is the country getting a hold of this virus before we even start thinking about football again.
Well said mate stopping this horrible virus should be everybody's main concern

So, because someone doesn't live in Scotland they're not entitiled to an opinion? Or, through your use of quotation marks, are you suggesting that were not true Rangers fans?

It is a shame that the only way thoughts can be shared is in person over a pint. I do wish someone would utilise modern technology and create an online space for people to assemble and express their opinions on issues such as whether Rangers can claw back a 13 point deficit.
Tell me. Do you also think it's impossible we win the league?

Unfortunately (in a "if I could only have the Rangers over here" kinda way) many bears live further away and can't get to see the Rangers in the flesh as often as they'd like.

They are of course as much bears as everyone else and entitled to as much of an opinion as the next guy.

It's also a good excuse for a certain demographic to hide behind, and a good excuse as to why they'd be unknown to anyone else on the board. You find that this demographic generally go the negative route. Think the league is done, celtic should be champions. We get more favours from refs and so on..

This second group give the first a bad name.
Have you ever noticed this phenomenon?

Had you not replied to this thread, I'd have struggled to link your username to the subject of my post, what with being a bit thick. But since I'm off to your neck of the woods in the summer, or at least have flights booked to do so, I can work it out and see why you may have taken umbrage to my post.

But it wasn't meant for you, so apologies fellow bear.
Have a good day!

source.gif

We’re not in a good place to win the title if games could be played out.

But what is a racing cert. is the fact that it would be completely corrupt to just give it to anybody. You’d be better just putting the names in a hat.

We’re not in a good place to win the title if games could be played out.

But what is a racing cert. is the fact that it would be completely corrupt to just give it to anybody. You’d be better just putting the names in a hat.
Totally agree with you mate.i honestly don,t belive we would win the title .but we can,t just hand the scum a title they haven,t actually won on the field of play.

It's not games against Celtic that worries me it's the way we,'ve played against the smaller teams.

True. Me too. But you really can’t legislate for that. We *should* be winning those games. And the first half of the season proved that we could. Any ‘impartial’ statistical analysis of what ‘should’ happen in the rest of the league would have us and Celtic winning against everyone else almost all the time with a pretty 50/50 toss up for random losses, leaving the outcome of the Old Firm games to determine whether we could get to 4 behind. Those games are pretty 50/50 too but we have been the much better team in the last couple. It is perfectly justified for us to claim that we expect to win them. That leaves a 4 point gap. Which is well within a statistical toss up.

They are favourites. Clear favourites. But they are not Liverpool. Nowhere near it.

True. Me too. But you really can’t legislate for that. We *should* be winning those games. And the first half of the season proved that we could. Any ‘impartial’ statistical analysis of what ‘should’ happen in the rest of the league would have us and Celtic winning against everyone else almost all the time with a pretty 50/50 toss up for random losses, leaving the outcome of the Old Firm games to determine whether we could get to 4 behind. Those games are pretty 50/50 too but we have been the much better team in the last couple. It is perfectly justified for us to claim that we expect to win them. That leaves a 4 point gap. Which is well within a statistical toss up.

They are favourites. Clear favourites. But they are not Liverpool. Nowhere near it.
Fair point mate.

Fair point mate.

To be completely honest, our team currently seem to raise themselves against adversity. If the league restarted tomorrow, I think we’d spank everyone till it got down to a one point difference on the last day, with them having a random loss along the way.

At that point, we could equally easily bottle it and throw away a 4 goal lead against Aberdeen or rise to it and stuff the opposition 6-0 when we remain underdogs. Then it’s on Celtic. And there have been 3 last day games in my lifetime. Celtic bottled it once, lost once and scraped over the line in 98.

Im not conceding anything here either BUT.... go back and read the posts from just before the season was suspended. Look at the run of poor results we were having and tell me from that what makes you think we would beat them twice.

I want the season concluded on the pitch just to make them work for it, but i dont realistically see us winning it this year
Easy. We show up in big games

I have more faith in us beating them twice than I do in beating st Johnstone once to be honest

The dynamic has changed with the shutdown and who knows how players and staff will be affected by this situation. We were the best team in the country before the winter break.

I've also not forgotten how good we were playing before the last break.

Absolutely nothing to stop us playing like that again.

It's the same group of players.
The one good thing I've took from this, is that it has at least stopped the momentum to get rid of gerrard, which I think would be a mistake.

If we'd have played that game against celtic and lost, can you imagine the calls for his head.

Im not conceding anything here either BUT.... go back and read the posts from just before the season was suspended. Look at the run of poor results we were having and tell me from that what makes you think we would beat them twice.

I want the season concluded on the pitch just to make them work for it, but i dont realistically see us winning it this year
Yes, we were on a poor run, but everyone has had a break, a chance to take stock, reassess and come back ready to go. We have also played them off the park in the last 2 games, where they haven't scored a legitimate goal (despite 'honest mistakes' giving them 2). The point the OP made is not unrealistic and if it were to come to pass, we would certainly have the momentum. Are we favourites to win the league as it stands? No, of course not. But neither is it a done deal that they'd win it, when there are so many points to play for, including 2 games against them.

I doubt too many people realistically saw us winning the league in 2005, when we went 5 points behind with 4 games to go. But we did. That's the point. It's not over until it's over, no matter how unlikely it may seem.

We have been awful in 2020.

The game against Stranrear was a wake up call. Same with Ross County and St Mirren.

We still had a window to bring in one or two to freshen us up and we didnt.

We could beat them twice and beat st Johnstone but we would drop more points on the road probably St Mirren away, which was due 21st March. We have looked two different teams this season. The Aberdeen game in first 30 minutes we were amazing and special. Then fell apart. Was hard to accept.

Back