Six months of hard work blown inside three weeks

So if Cosgrove had been sent off, you think we would magically have played better and won the game?

Whether or not they had a striker on the pitch is unrelated to our inability in that game to create or convert any chances.
Yep. We shouldn't need a team to go down to 10 men to be able to beat them.

When did we go from being ruthless and putting the game to bed, to game management and seeing the game out?

"Six months of hard work blown inside three weeks". This is the most galling part for me. After the tough December fixture list that we came through relatively unscathed, I was pretty confident we would push on and put the Shettleston Harriers under some real pressure. I cannot fathom why our arse has collapsed in such spectacular fashion. Injuries haven't helped, but the stats since the Winter break are piss poor. As baffling as it is dispiriting.

We peaked and couldn’t sustain it.
Nows not the time to cry
Nows the time to find out why

Yeah and for some reason even the blue noses want to stick it to us......burke, Naismith, broadfoot lol we better not look for favours cause we ain’t getting any
If you really believe all that, then what your actually saying is, I wish players would go easy on us. Never read such garbage in my life.

If you really believe all that, then what your actually saying is, I wish players would go easy on us. Never read such garbage in my life.
That’s why I put lol in my comment.....in fact my thoughts are exactly the opposite......I’m trying to say we need a siege mentality because neither opposition players refs or the media are gonna do us any favours

I feel it’s more a reactionary change; he almost gets too caught up in the game still thinking as a player rather than a manager. it’s like he watches the game thinking about what he would do if he was on it.

Reacting just turns to desperation. Leaving Davis on the bench when we were losing out in the midfield, then going two up top (which we’ve done a few times now) when we’ve not used that system in a winning position probably since that Motherwell game is last throw of the dice stuff.

He needs to begin using his subs, his squad and pre-empt the way the game is going and get ahead of it, especially from a winning position.
Why isnt Gary Mac pointing this out. Our whole mgmt team are culpable, or do they see something we dont.

Those 4 best players have won nothing and have achieved nothing. I have been saying This about Tav since the Hibs cup final.
A captain drags his team over the line in vital matches like Lego does with them. Tavernier crumbles as like the rest of the team they can’t deal with the pressure of being consistent.
How any Rangers fan isn’t emotional with a near decade of winning %^*& all I don’t know. Right now we are a better version of Warburton’s team.
We play a system with an attacker and two players to either side. These two rarely score and their assists record is poor also.
It is the fault of Gerrard not to realise his players aren’t good enough to play 433 consistently enough and that he isn’t a good enough manager to change it.
Lennon got gubbed at Parkhead by us, changed to 2 up front and a back 3 and they have won every game since humping teams in the process.

You stay unemotional if you want pal.
You make a good point about our captain v theirs. I like Tav as a player but he’s never a captain.

League's done. It's over. Celtic will win this league by double figures in April.

That second half performance from all concerned was diabolical. Not a single pass mark. Not a single player wanting it enough. Too busy fannying about to kill the game off.

There isn't a supporter on here who will be fooled by the calvary charge at 80 minutes when it's 1-1. There isn't a supporter on here who wasn't screaming for a change before hand when we were losing every single loose and second ball in the middle of the park.

Mentally ? This team don't have it post winter break. The serious stuff starts and we absolutely cave in. Meanwhile the Yahoos have a nice wee procession of 3, 4 and 5 goal humpings against the same set of teams we're toiling against. Watch them rack up another cricket score on Sunday at a place we routinely struggle at.

To drop two points tonight would've hurt. To lose all three from where we were at 76 minutes is unacceptable.
Anyone think the players are not reacting to SG public slagging? Or they are but negatively. It is the same team who were playing for the better part quite well

The collapse has been devastating to watch. The players simply can't handle the weight of expectation.

On our day we've proved we're a match for Celtic - but that matters not a jot when you cave in against other teams.

The Kilmarnock result has left me mentally scarred. I don't know what to do with myself. I don't know where to turn.

All the good work has been undone. As a team we look dead in the water. Gerrard has the look of a haunted man.

Walter said it time and time again, " You have to find a way to win " Gerrard seems incapable of doing that. I honestly think he'll now be contemplating his future as manager of Rangers, and wouldn't be surprised if he's now looking for a way out.

Bad times.

The search for reasons strikes me as missing the obvious.

1) The squad was never as good as many stated on here
2) Relying on young players was always going to mean drops in form-the Aribo's, Kents and even Alfies etc were always likely to go this way at some stage.
3) If you add the above to a few key injuries and more experienced players losing form then you have the recipe for a disaster.

I don't understand why that can't be recognised without the spite and blame that is bile filled but I guess that comes from anger.

I have been surprised we've hit such a bad run in such a short time scale but I always felt some sort of severe dip was very possible plus the notion that Celtic were shit had to be proved-it's went the other way which has compounded the whole thing.

We are now in a very fragile state on a lot of levels and there's no way the support are going to do anything other than demand change unless we see our fortunes change quite massively.

Yep. We shouldn't need a team to go down to 10 men to be able to beat them.
Totally missing the point.
When you're booted up and down the park, it's near impossible to score. That's why we have a referee in place to prevent teams deliberately cheating, but when the referee is also a cheat , then you've no chance .
That Aberdeen performance would have seem multiple cautions and even dismissals if the were playing the mentally challengeds.
As for the Killie game, VAR would have comfortably seen us with 3 points, so there's no point in saying the team aren't good enough, when it's clear that the ref has , once again , cheated us out of 3pts

It's been shambolic, perhaps next season we stay in Scotland and play Nairn FC etc.

Conversely we have struggled against 10 men multiple times as they just sit deep and dont allow us any freedom and we lack the quality to break down packed defences, also evidenced in recent games when we are chasing it in the last 5 minutes.

Unfortunately I think if you're going to work on the basis that we are losing leagues because of officials and not because of weaknesses in our squad, you're going to end up stuck in perpetual disappointment.
You talk pish my man

There were those on here 12 months ago saying that SG should be binned if we didn't win the league last year and now again we are seeing exactly the same.

The malaise which beset Rangers those 8/9 years ago, and the gulf which had been created behind them ( never mind the sheep and others ) was never ever going to be turned around in SG's first season at the club. The reality is that we have improved year on year performance ( points ) wise but the mhanks have just upped their performances but they are surely getting worried !

Irrespective that we have spent substantial ( perhaps relatively modest ) amounts on upgrading the playing staff, we have not been able to close the gap BUT SG has certainly considerably narrowed the gap. He has done very well with what he has had to work with given the starting point in August 2018. I will not be too concerned ( hugely disappointed yes ) if we don't win 55 this season but we are getting closer to them - see points won year on year.

Sorry if I sound negative but I will give SG next season before I, for one, get massively fraught !

I leave out any reference to external factors like refereeing and other things outwith our control.

Last edited:
All they can do is keep fighting and hope some other results go our way. It could still turn round in our favour

Put us out our misery I feel absolutely distraught since Wednesday.

Not sleeping or eating correct.

We have turned into a disaster and a catastrophe in under a month.

Yep, went over it a few times in my head and still can't understand how it's happened.

From the ecstasy of the 29th: players, managers, supporters bouncing around in joy....to half-arsed performances, a coaching team that don't seem to know how to fix it and fans in the stand, understandably voicing their frustrations as we huff and puff our way through games.

How does that happen?

we need the element of surprise in formations,teams have weeks to prepare as we always play the same way every game,more motivation from the sidelines might help aswell

It's been shambolic, perhaps next season we stay in Scotland and play Nairn FC etc.

Going to Dubai hasn't stopped the bheggars destroying every thing in sight. We are just full of shit excuses. They had injuries, players out and changed their system. We had Jack, Tavernier and Morelos out yet shoehorned players into positions and expected the same performances and results. Flanagan/Polster for Tavernier, Defoe for Morelos, Halliday/Flanagan for Barišić.

I'm not one for beating about the bush. It's a combination of a poor squad, one way system with no plan b. A manager who is too stubborn to change his ways, set up and system. Tactically weak and naive, inability to make a game changing decision.

The players are weak, lack a winning mentality and collapse any time a bit of added pressure is on. There is also a lack of leadership both on and off the park.

Let's see what Gerrard is all about today given recent results, performances and the fact he stated the opposition are becoming even more ultra defensive.

We've got the cheek to moan at other clubs for raising their game against us yet we raise ours against the bheggars then put in half arsed performances against the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Kilmarnock, St.Mirren. Ross County...

We then bleat on about rivalries with sides whilst the bheggars just get in with it, turn up and take them apart.

Mark Warburton had one system and one system only and he was quickly sussed in Scotland with no comeback. Gerrard is being found out and right now has no answers.

Gerrard is surviving on his name alone.

No other Rangers manager would get away with surrendering the title before Valentine's Day two years in a row.
You don't think the European run and the clear improvement pre dubai gives him credit in the bank? This time last year Liverpool blew a 10 point advantage and ended up losing the league didn't mean klopp was useless and should have gone does it? A bit of perspective, we could get rid of him and let murty steady the ship til the end of the season????!!!!

You don't think the European run and the clear improvement pre dubai gives him credit in the bank? This time last year Liverpool blew a 10 point advantage and ended up losing the league didn't mean klopp was useless and should have gone does it? A bit of perspective, we could get rid of him and let murty steady the ship til the end of the season????!!!!
It means nothing if the mentally challengeds win two trebles in his first two years in charge.

It means nothing if the mentally challengeds win two trebles in his first two years in charge.
If we don't win the Scottish cup and lose the league by more than 10 points he should go imo. Hes had good money to spend this season with a squad that's more than capable if his name wasnt Steven Gerrard questions would be asked. There still time to salvage this season but he has to wise up and make changes. If we go out the cup at tynecastle this place will be in meltdown and I wouldn't blame them

Have never understood why Gerard needs a midfield general in the mould he was - captain, leader and excellent footballer. In our league we would only need simeone of half his talent to beat the ritten mob and the rest

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect us to stay with them beyond January, or to get a squad together that can beat the likes of Hearts and Kilmarnock when Morelos isn’t firing.
Agreed. It was clear as day that we needed more than just Morelos and Defoe as striking options in August. We did nothing and got lucky, until Defoe’s injury.

Candieas was poor also. It’s just who he replaced him with was worse.
Agreed. All Candeias was, in honesty, was a hard worker. His crossing was honking and repetitive and he didn’t score many goals from wide right either.

Going to Dubai hasn't stopped the bheggars destroying every thing in sight. We are just full of shit excuses. They had injuries, players out and changed their system. We had Jack, Tavernier and Morelos out yet shoehorned players into positions and expected the same performances and results. Flanagan/Polster for Tavernier, Defoe for Morelos, Halliday/Flanagan for Barišić.

I'm not one for beating about the bush. It's a combination of a poor squad, one way system with no plan b. A manager who is too stubborn to change his ways, set up and system. Tactically weak and naive, inability to make a game changing decision.

The players are weak, lack a winning mentality and collapse any time a bit of added pressure is on. There is also a lack of leadership both on and off the park.

Let's see what Gerrard is all about today given recent results, performances and the fact he stated the opposition are becoming even more ultra defensive.

We've got the cheek to moan at other clubs for raising their game against us yet we raise ours against the bheggars then put in half arsed performances against the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Kilmarnock, St.Mirren. Ross County...

We then bleat on about rivalries with sides whilst the bheggars just get in with it, turn up and take them apart.

Mark Warburton had one system and one system only and he was quickly sussed in Scotland with no comeback. Gerrard is being found out and right now has no answers.
The Warburton comparison is sadly becoming more and more appropriate. We can’t keep playing the same way with our fingers crossed.

No matter what analysis is done something is wrong with our method during the winter break. This is a repeat of last year. Have the team lost match fitness? Try staying in Scotland next year and play competitive bounce games.

The search for reasons strikes me as missing the obvious.

1) The squad was never as good as many stated on here
2) Relying on young players was always going to mean drops in form-the Aribo's, Kents and even Alfies etc were always likely to go this way at some stage.
3) If you add the above to a few key injuries and more experienced players losing form then you have the recipe for a disaster.

I don't understand why that can't be recognised without the spite and blame that is bile filled but I guess that comes from anger.

I have been surprised we've hit such a bad run in such a short time scale but I always felt some sort of severe dip was very possible plus the notion that Celtic were shit had to be proved-it's went the other way which has compounded the whole thing.

We are now in a very fragile state on a lot of levels and there's no way the support are going to do anything other than demand change unless we see our fortunes change quite massively.
criticism, valid or not , is met with venomous abuse on here.
Anyone not accepting the over valuation of players or questions Steven Gerrard in any aspect needs a tin hat.
Such a level of denial is unhelpful when things start to go wrong.

I’ve chipped my tuppence worth on a few threads already so won’t repeat myself. But having thought about it and not being able to see us play today, I find myself thinking that regardless of what happens this season I’d give Gerrard a third season.

The fact we can bring in good revenue in Europe with SG is invaluable, domestic form has got to click eventually. Managers of old got plenty of time to build a squad capable of domination (Sir AF at Man U), we should be getting back to that instead of this hire and fire every ~2 seasons we risk making a habit just now.

criticism, valid or not , is met with venomous abuse on here.
Anyone not accepting the over valuation of players or questions Steven Gerrard in any aspect needs a tin hat.
Such a level of denial is unhelpful when things start to go wrong.

Of course the manager is accountable.

However he is not accountable for the support getting totally carried away-that's been the problem trying to debate on here. I think SG has done a great job but I've never been convinced we are title winning material.

Now we've swung from building a statue for SG to seriously considering sacking him-look at the post above this-one of our more considered punter's has went....oh yeah ok we will give him a third season. It's a tad mental.

If anybody thought he would turn the car crash he inherited around in year 1 needs sectioned. Are we expecting a trophy in year two? Yes. And we should already have it but for refereeing incompetence. The post split slump is exactly that. A slump. I think SG and the improvement that has been brought deserves a third season. For me he would have been told he has to stop 10. There will be a twist and turn yet.

Back