Skol Cup Final 1986

Oh what a delight to win that game.

Ceptic, thought they were just going to walk out and win that.

Souness, what a commander!

The first game i remember being nervous. Remember watching on TV & shitting myself when Cooper steps up to take the penalty

6 years of age i was

this was a quote in the press after the match, how times change :D
"David Hay advocates Celtic moving to the English leagues after the match in a knee jerk outburst as he believes Celtic are being discriminated against by referees"

Was at that game. Fantastic day.

mentally challengeds had some strike force in mo johnston and brian mclair who scored. mojo red card. Super Coop slotting home the winning pen.

Superb.

Mate missed the game as a police horse trod on his foot while he was in the queue and he had to got to hospital with a broken foot - not many volunteers to accompany him.
I'll message him and let him know he can see what he missed that day :)

Davie Hay had just won the league earlier that year thanks to the opposition not trying a leg on the last day, then after losing this cup final to a stonewall penalty he said Celtic had to leave Scotland as everyone was against them!

My first cup final. I went to the game sitting in the back of a transit van with my neighbour and a few of his friends.

I can still remember the carnage after both goals. It was one of the few times in my life I was genuinely fearful of my safety as I was just a young teenager in amongst the bedlam.

Mate missed the game as a police horse trod on his foot while he was in the queue and he had to got to hospital with a broken foot - not many volunteers to accompany him.
I'll message him and let him know he can see what he missed that day :)
What a story that is lmfao

My first cup final. Unforgettable day. You really felt the way things were changing. Durrant and Ferguson that day.
Really thought we got a glimpse of the future that day with Ferguson and Durrant. Together they should have bossed Scottish football for years. Alas injury and character (or lack of it) robbed us of that prospect.

I've watched that game so many times over the years. Hugely entertaining.

I know players got away with alot more then but how the hell did McInally not get sent off for that tackle on Jimmy Nicholl? He'd already been booked for a swipe at Davie Cooper just a few minutes earlier. That would be a straight red card these days.

Keep an eye out for a brilliant piece of skill by Davie in the 1st half. Chris Woods punts the ball upfield and as it's falling from the sky Davie kills the ball under control and then sprays it out to the right wing. As usual he made it look ridiculously easy. Nobody else on the pitch would have even thought about pulling that type of move off.

I thought that day we were going to have the future Rangers and Scotland midfield for years to come with Durrant and Ferguson they were both outstanding that day

Cooper, Ferguson and Durrant that day. Outstanding.
Wee quirk from that day, something I always remember (having rewatched it numerous times), is what I presume is someone's wee boy getting told to "sit down" just before the final whistle blows!

Their end considerably emptier than ours. We were at the fence at the half-way line. Bits of concrete flying over. Ended up in the court over that!

One of the first games I remember watching on TV

mentally challengeds really have won and lost without any semblance of dignity since Moses was a boy

The things that pop back into your memory.
I remember the scum team bus speeding along the road on the way into the game and Brian McClair bouncing up and down like a numpty whilst flicking the V to the Rangers support.....
I hope he enjoyed polishing his runners up medal.:cool:

The Cup ended up in The Nile Bar that night, along with the Chairman and a good few players.

I got lifted right after the winning goal was scored. I had an air horn and was right next to the tims giving them pelters, they grassed me up and I got marched round the track as the Rangers end was bouncing. I’ve never seen full footage before, I’m hoping you don’t see me on camera here :p

Cooper looks good so far,McCoist should have scored there,Cammy Fraser playing ok as well.
Get in to them Rangers ffs :)

The things that pop back into your memory.
I remember the scum team bus speeding along the road on the way into the game and Brian McClair bouncing up and down like a numpty whilst flicking the V to the Rangers support.....
I hope he enjoyed polishing his runners up medal.:cool:
What a cock.

Winning that game was a big statement it pushed us on to greater success.
As with our LCF defeat to them last season, that was an opportunity to make a statement on push us on alas...

We hadn’t won the league for years but could still turn up in cup finals . We had a team who never gave up . That’s why I fell in love with rangers . Only a wee cub watching this game in ‘86

Back