Sky and BT will lose £1bn if sporting events are cancelled untill August

I hope that we don’t bail out companies trading in the UK that pay little or no tax into our system.

It is a big hit for them but it’s all relative. make a lot - lose a lot, sport will come back and they are at the forefront currently of the broadcasters.

Sadly thsts not how business works. If you are facing a huge loss you do everything to minimise that loss.

They have contracts already in place for years to come.

Jeftracey

I recently agreed an 18 month deal with Sky. Agent told me the price could be increased in April 2021 but was only a set percentage it could be increased by
I can't remember exactly but I think any price increases you are allowed to cancel your contract

[/QUOTE]
Sadly thsts not how business works. If you are facing a huge loss you do everything to minimise that loss.

They have contracts already in place for years to come.

Jeftracey
I wouldn't be surprised if they try to renegotiate contracts going forward but I don't understand how they can claw money back for a product they have already received excluding the last few games. This season is over and it is just a big red herring being put out to set an agenda.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to renegotiate contracts going forward but I don't understand how they can claw money back for a product they have already received excluding the last few games. This season is over and it is just a big red herring being put out to set an agenda.
[/QUOTE]
Why would they be renegotiated?

They are signed and sealed.

Why would they be renegotiated?

They are signed and sealed.
Do you honestly think that there will not be renegotiating of contracts of all forms after we come out of this, and this will include contracts out in the real world? This crisis will be a game changer. Economies will be flattened, businesses struggling to stay afloat, people losing jobs, all this will feed into the mix. TV companies will have have to cut their cloth too just like the clubs and normal businesses in general.

Theres maybe about 5 teams that are the size of us and with the same money who knows what would happen.
Globally I would say only Manchester United and Liverpool are bigger than us and them in EPL. Then Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs and Everton. Remainder are really only big local clubs generally with local following. TV money accounts for less than 10% of income at Liverpool and gate money about 3%. This may change the attitude of Sky and BT for a while as I think any other approach would see a massive drop in subscribers.

Sky and BT will lose almost £1bn in revenue if top-flight sport remains shut down until August, according to a report that recommends players take a pay cut to support their clubs.

In England, the Premier League has postponed matches until at least 30 April, and it appears increasingly unlikely that the league will resume then as the government’s nationwide lockdown is expected to continue for months.

The hypothesis informing governments assumes an initial three-month long lockdown,” said Enders Analysis, which published the report. “Group activities of 25 people involving close physical contact without protection will not plausibly be the first to be allowed when when some social life resumes.”

Sky has stopped charging commercial clients such as pubs that carry Sky Sports, and pay-TV subscribers can “pause” their payments. BT has told customers to call to “discuss their contract or other options”, while some customers on its flexible pay-TV package can elect to drop sport.

“Assuming a worst-case scenario of a four-month suspension of all sports coverage (British and foreign), with all sports subscribers pausing their contract and wholesale clients being allowed to follow suit, Sky would lose £700m and BT £228m in revenues,” Enders said.

The report says that beyond July Sky and BT will start saving money if sport remains off screens as upcoming rights payments would be postponed or cancelled.

Sky and BT are due to pay the Premier League the six-month licence fee for the first half of the 2020-21 season, which amounts to about £530m in total, in July. BT’s annual bill to Uefa for the Champions League rights is £394m.

The report suggests players need to play their part as clubs struggle economically, with wages accounting for 59% of revenues across the Premier League.

Football’s cost structure is pretty simple: most of the receipts flow into players’ pockets,” the report says. “The best solution is collectively negotiated pay cuts, but negotiating pay cuts with players is as difficult as herding cats.”

One top-flight German club has reached a deal with players and another is in talks. In France, Lyon has put players on the public “temporary” unemployment scheme, which should cut pay bills by half.

“To limit disruption, pain will have to be shared across the supply chain with players’ pay first in line,” the Enders report says.
Good %^*& them. Stop paying obscene amounts to clubs that in turn pay obscene amounts to players. The world is gonnae be a different place and people will care less for players and celebs getting stupid money

Aw didums what a shame...not. If they try to raise the subs on the back of this they can go f'uck themselves.

Diddums! They don’t get to that level without knowing their way around such issues but I would love nothing more than EPL sides being forced to reign it in. It was nice for that brief period when China were massively outbidding them and the toys were launched straight out the pram.

No sympathy for them at all. When the inevitable price increase arrives to cover any loss i hope everyone cancels as soon as they are able to.

Do you honestly think that there will not be renegotiating of contracts of all forms after we come out of this, and this will include contracts out in the real world? This crisis will be a game changer. Economies will be flattened, businesses struggling to stay afloat, people losing jobs, all this will feed into the mix. TV companies will have have to cut their cloth too just like the clubs and normal businesses in general.
I dont think the recent SKY deal with Scottish football will be renegotiated. . . No.

Oh no, we're going to lose so much of the cash they've so generously put into Scottish football over the years....
Approx 2 mill iirc
SPFL would probably lose 25per cent or about 500k
This is the amount the papers are saying is a big stumbling block.
Of course much more in England!

Globally I would say only Manchester United and Liverpool are bigger than us and them in EPL. Then Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs and Everton. Remainder are really only big local clubs generally with local following. TV money accounts for less than 10% of income at Liverpool and gate money about 3%. This may change the attitude of Sky and BT for a while as I think any other approach would see a massive drop in subscribers.
TV only 10% -don’t think so!

They should save a few quid by scrapping their SSN channel just now. Still people in the studio reporting on %^*& all :oops:

I'm guessing all the folk that always take pride in these stories about the EPL and Sky's demise are the kind who watch football on a grainy screen that buffers repeatedly and see a goal five minutes after its mentioned on a match thread?
I stopped watching years ago.The last great thing to happen was Leicester winning the EPL.Granted Liverpool deserve it this season but I digress.The amount of money thrown at English and Champions League teams has made the end product boring and bland.I'm just not interested in paying for or watching the same teams year after year.
I even stopped watching motd.

I dont think the recent SKY deal with Scottish football will be renegotiated. . . No.
With all due respect the Scottish TV contracts are just the crumbs from the big boys' table so you may well be correct but the serious money is down south and abroad. People and businesses the world over are going to be scarred by this for a long time that it wouldn't take much for society to turn on the relatively small number of people and businesses who receive ridiculous sums of money. A perfect time to renegotiate and bring some sense of normality back.

Trying to get through to BT again this morning.

Last chance for them or im just cancelling the DD online.

It would be interesting to see how clubs like Bournemouth and Norwich would get on without TV money.Even one missed payment would put them in deep shit I would imagine

Rupert Murdoch no longer has any shareholding in Sky.
He will have somewhere along the line of private equity companies it's interesting the Chinese some Shanghai company own a large stake now. I still class them as anti British along with news international and not to be paranoid that newsquest mob that supports the nationalists.

Trying to get through to BT again this morning.

Last chance for them or im just cancelling the DD online.

You are not alone. Might want to read this though, particularly the bit I coped and pasted:

If you cancel your subscription before it's due to expire it's likely you'll be stung with early exit fees.

Its likely, therefore, that you will be leaving with a debt on your record which could affect your credit rating.

I can't help thinking the EPL would struggle big time - in it's current position - without t.v. money

Even if it managed to exist with other revenues in the shorter term - the days of enormous transfer fees, wages & attracting some of the best players in the world would be well & truly over imo

The SPHell in comparison would still be worse off - but it would have slightly less of a negative effect because we receive a pittance compared to the EPL & our percentage of profits rely on other more conventional revenues

Consequently we may be in a more resilient position - we may even be in a more level playing field when it comes to transfers & attracting players to our league ?

Or then again the SFA & diddy clubs could easily find multiple ways to phuck it all up (again)

You are not alone. Might want to read this though, particularly the bit I coped and pasted:

If you cancel your subscription before it's due to expire it's likely you'll be stung with early exit fees.

Its likely, therefore, that you will be leaving with a debt on your record which could affect your credit rating.

Been with them since day 1 so presumed my contract would long since have expired.

Got through eventually....They're not charging me for the next 3 months, though I've now got a new contract with them.

Sky and BT will lose almost £1bn in revenue if top-flight sport remains shut down until August, according to a report that recommends players take a pay cut to support their clubs.

In England, the Premier League has postponed matches until at least 30 April, and it appears increasingly unlikely that the league will resume then as the government’s nationwide lockdown is expected to continue for months.

The hypothesis informing governments assumes an initial three-month long lockdown,” said Enders Analysis, which published the report. “Group activities of 25 people involving close physical contact without protection will not plausibly be the first to be allowed when when some social life resumes.”

Sky has stopped charging commercial clients such as pubs that carry Sky Sports, and pay-TV subscribers can “pause” their payments. BT has told customers to call to “discuss their contract or other options”, while some customers on its flexible pay-TV package can elect to drop sport.

“Assuming a worst-case scenario of a four-month suspension of all sports coverage (British and foreign), with all sports subscribers pausing their contract and wholesale clients being allowed to follow suit, Sky would lose £700m and BT £228m in revenues,” Enders said.

The report says that beyond July Sky and BT will start saving money if sport remains off screens as upcoming rights payments would be postponed or cancelled.

Sky and BT are due to pay the Premier League the six-month licence fee for the first half of the 2020-21 season, which amounts to about £530m in total, in July. BT’s annual bill to Uefa for the Champions League rights is £394m.

The report suggests players need to play their part as clubs struggle economically, with wages accounting for 59% of revenues across the Premier League.

Football’s cost structure is pretty simple: most of the receipts flow into players’ pockets,” the report says. “The best solution is collectively negotiated pay cuts, but negotiating pay cuts with players is as difficult as herding cats.”

One top-flight German club has reached a deal with players and another is in talks. In France, Lyon has put players on the public “temporary” unemployment scheme, which should cut pay bills by half.

“To limit disruption, pain will have to be shared across the supply chain with players’ pay first in line,” the Enders report says.
Don’t mean to be pedantic op, honest.
your header goes against the first para in the report.
” sky bt will lose money if football remains shut down”
further down the report though is an important point, ‘ sky bt will save money as they don’t have to pay the next tranche of the monies’.
this imo will accelerate the epl to have a conclusion before that date.
leagues will be decided as is and awarded,
leagues will be voided and we start again.

Back