Sky Sports and BT Sport demand controversial pay-per-view service is scrapped

Would it not be right to think for Arsenal v Leicester the only way legally to watch this in the UK would be PPV? if it wasn’t on PPV you wouldn’t be able to watch it legally I thought?

Correct the clubs didn't want to stream the non TV games themselves which as added to the issue

Would there be the same outcry if that was happening if the same price £14.95 if it was set by Premier League via the club themselves, with the Premier League taking their cut?

I think it’s different for each club, I know for Liverpool they suspended season ticket sales this year, the majority of home games will be on TV but last nights was one of the £15 ones, and I saw the Leicester game at home next month will also be £15.
I didn't know that. I think they can afford it but that's a great gesture by Liverpool.

Correct the clubs didn't want to stream the non TV games themselves which as added to the issue

Would there be the same outcry if that was happening if the same price £14.95 if it was set by Premier League via the club themselves, with the Premier League taking their cut?

This is the thing. I know what people say about dodgy boxes and streams etc but plenty of people won’t go down that route. Plenty would lap up match by match ppv or even a Virtual Season Ticket for Premier League Clubs.

Amazing really you can watch every Football League match for £10 on demand yet some Premier League matches you cannot unless you go down the illegal route.

It was put in place because the clubs were fearful that the idea of "free football on terrestrial" would be normalised.

If they were smart, they'd contract a game a week to the BBC and one to ITV and keep doing what they are doing with the rest of the games.

This is the thing. I know what people say about dodgy boxes and streams etc but plenty of people won’t go down that route. Plenty would lap up match by match ppv or even a Virtual Season Ticket for Premier League Clubs.

Amazing really you can watch every Football League match for £10 on demand yet some Premier League matches you cannot unless you go down the illegal route.

Yeah it is crazy that that is happening and while there is an agreement in place for the EFL, the Premier League don't seem to want go down that route for the non-TV games

It just adds to the illegal route

Yeah it is crazy that that is happening and while there is an agreement in place for the EFL, the Premier League don't seem to want go down that route for the non-TV games

To be fair this season they maybe will all be on either BT, Sky or PPV.

If PPV stops they won’t be mind.

It was put in place because the clubs were fearful that the idea of "free football on terrestrial" would be normalised.

If they were smart, they'd contract a game a week to the BBC and one to ITV and keep doing what they are doing with the rest of the games.

There is also the fact it hoped that clubs could have fans back in even in limited numbers from October

Prior to the start of the season the only games on TV were the paid contract ones, it was only after some pressure that all games were to shown but there should have been a better agreement in place

To be fair this season they maybe will all be on either BT, Sky or PPV.

If PPV stops they won’t be mind.

Hopefully there will be a decent long term agreement put in place where all game kick-offs are known in advance to a certain point as they normally - I would be surprised if PPV continues

It is messy situation and isn't helping those fans that wish to watch their team

Hopefully there will be a decent long term agreement put in place where all game kick-offs are known in advance to a certain point as they normally - I would be surprised if PPV continues

It is messy situation and isn't helping those fans that wish to watch their team
Yeah, in a backward way they are actually trying to help people see their team. Issue has been the pricing and they should have done PR better with some kind of launch for it. They could still get decent PR from this if they dish some matches out for free or just go cheaper on PPV but I doubt they will.

Burnley sold season tickets for this year but have offered either a full refund, a match by match refund or the option to carry the payment over to pay next years season ticket in full irrespective of any potential price increase. Anyone who doesn't take a full refund will be in a ballot for tickets if fans are allowed back in. Plus everyone will be guaranteed the chance to renew their seat.

Sky and BT said from the start that they would do it at cost and they are in a no win situation as if they had said no then they would have been accused of denying fans the chance to see their team.

It's great how we get a sometimes iffy stream to watch with a VST paying well over the odds via the season tickets but we are helping the team. In the EPL they refund STs but offer proper TV for £14.95 and they are greedy.

Given the choice I would prefer the second option but it won't happen because we can't afford it without the money EPL clubs get. Now here's hoping the stream is decent for the VST game today.

Their idea of £70 to retain your ticket is a good one. I have now lost my brilliant seat and could be anywhere next season. I know just being there is enough but still gutted.

The EFL games are usually the local radio commentary and is dire. I get the Accy home games free and if you think Tom on RTV is bad you should try listening to the Radio Lancashire commentary :D

There is also the fact it hoped that clubs could have fans back in even in limited numbers from October

Prior to the start of the season the only games on TV were the paid contract ones, it was only after some pressure that all games were to shown but there should have been a better agreement in place
Instead of rolling back to what they were doing at the end of last season, they decided to do the exact opposite.

It seemed like an absolutely mental decision at the time and has backfired on them.

It costs around a 100k for a full production live game with multiple cameras and staff .

So they need around 7k buys to pay for it
I've not watched any of the PPV games, and don't intend to, but are they full on productions, on a par with them showing matches as part of the normal Sky coverage? If not , then I can't see the costs being much more than they would, for the equipment/staff that are already there to provide all the highlights packages.

Yeah, in a backward way they are actually trying to help people see their team. Issue has been the pricing and they should have done PR better with some kind of launch for it. They could still get decent PR from this if they dish some matches out for free or just go cheaper on PPV but I doubt they will.

Should go back to the way it was

Sky
BT
Amazon
BBC

Instead of rolling back to what they were doing at the end of last season, they decided to do the exact opposite.

It seemed like an absolutely mental decision at the time and has backfired on them.
The only reason all 92 games were shown live was in agreement with UK government to get the game back up and and running with around 3rd of them free to air

They never wanted the to do the same this season and I read that Oliver Dowden DMCS secretary wasn't happy about the PPV been introduced

The EFL games are usually the local radio commentary and is dire. I get the Accy home games free and if you think Tom on RTV is bad you should try listening to the Radio Lancashire commentary :D
Wasn't sure how the clubs done it

Some of the bigger sides will have inhouse commentary but with the smaller sides that isn't possible

Rangers will.need to look at doing an average price for each season ticket next year if circumstances are still the same not fair certain fans having to pay more than others to watch the same Rangers TV. My pals are 200 quid cheaper than me because the are closer to the corner of the govan rear I'm paying more for a view I'll not even see this season.
Insist he turns his couch 45 degrees when watching - that will sort it :)

Screwing supporters because they can’t go to games due to a global pandemic which has then in turn caused financial hardship for many.

So this hasn’t worked then?

I am stunned.
BT and Sky are not screwing supporters as unlike clubs in Scotland, the majority of EPL clubs have NOT taken ST money this season therefore fans of EPL clubs are NOT out of pocket.

RTV also has PPV remember.

If you had your season ticket money refunded would you not use it for PPV if that was the only option and the club got most of the money?
It's all PPV whatever really from this latest Premier League Box Office to La Liga TV to RTV.

RTV also has PPV remember.

If you had your season ticket money refunded would you not use it for PPV if that was the only option and the club got most of the money?
I would but thats with the money going to the club.
Sky/BT/premier league are greedy bastards.

Sheer greed in my opinion. I phoned Sky to find out what was going on and the chap I spoke to struggled to demonstrate how this had come about. Unbelievably we then both ended up googling it and found a press release from Sky on 10th October - wtf !! Sky are at it big time, they’re nibbling away a bit at a time, constantly stripping things out to other “new channels”, then asking folk to pay for it again, highway robbery in the extreme. If I was allowed to bin them all I would. Wretched.

I would but thats with the money going to the club.
Sky/BT/premier league are greedy bastards.
From what I heard the majority of the money does go to the clubs. I know that every EFL game on ifollow generates money from the clubs

Too much going on, just a big chase for profit:

“It is also understood that, due to the uproar between the ‘Big Six’ and the rest of the Premier League over Project Big Picture at the stakeholders meeting last week, they did not get round to agreeing how the pay-per-view revenue would be split between the clubs”.

From Tuesday October 20th.

1st time I have seen Sky promoting one of their PPV at the end of the Southampton v Everton game

Sky Sports and BT Sport are concerned about their reputations being hit amid the controversial pay-per-view service and would happily see it binned

Sky and BT would happily see the Premier League's pay-per-view service scrapped as it continues to see a huge backlash from fans. The decision was made to show of top flight game live, a decision that both broadcasters were deeply unhappy about.

But after the government reverted on its decision to allow some fans back into stadiums the call was made by the Premier League to charge for certain games. A £14.95 fee is now being charged for matches that are not being televised via the usual satellite subscription packages.

But neither broadcaster is making money from the amount being charged and are concerned about their reputations having been labelled as greedy. Thousands of fans have united in their disgust over the move and opted against paying the £14.95 fee, an amount that was set by the Premier League.

Sky Sports and BT Sport are fuming with the decision are only want to see their production costs covered. A top Sky source has revealed that both companies would happily see the pay-per-view service binned as they continue to deal with the fallout. He said: “Sky is not happy to be involved in showing the pay-per-view games. We never thought it was a good idea and nothing’s changed since it started. It is damaging the reputation of Sky Sports to be linked to this scheme – and that feeling is shared at BT. Everyone here would prefer for it to stop.”

Sky also have no intention of taking advantage of the current socio-economic climate as the coronavirus pandemic forces parts of the country to go into a second lockdown. The Sky Sports Box Office channel airs the games that are not included in their usual subscription, but they are reluctant to advertise them. Viewing figures are not being made public but are said to be "mixed".

Newcastle fans opted against paying for last weekend's match against Manchester United and instead donated the funds to charity which saw them raise over £16,000.
If the premier League cut them in on the profit then they wouldn't give a flying %^*& about reputation.

I can see the premier league ending up on a Netflix type streaming service on the next few years they'll have maybe two/three games on a Saturday and one or two on s Sunday with any other weekend game bring pay per view it will rake in fortunes and the greedy fuckers will lap it up. There will be no championship football shown on it purely Premiership football to make the financial gap even wider between the big teams and smaller teams outside the premiership two relegations and no parachute payments to teams outside the premiership

I can see the premier league ending up on a Netflix type streaming service on the next few years they'll have maybe two/three games on a Saturday and one or two on s Sunday with any other weekend game bring pay per view it will rake in fortunes and the greedy fuckers will lap it up. There will be no championship football shown on it purely Premiership football to make the financial gap even wider between the big teams and smaller teams outside the premiership two relegations and no parachute payments to teams outside the premiership
It won’t be anytime soon, the EPL has perfected the process of getting big money for their broadcast rights and letting their broadcast partners do the actual work of getting games out there, there’s no need for them to take on all the hassle involved of broadcasting it themselves.

Premier League clubs will tomorrow consider cutting the cost of controversial pay-per-view matches to less than £10 for games after the international break following a wave of opposition from fan groups.

The top-flight clubs have been surprised and concerned by the level of outrage that the decision to introduce £14.95 pay-per-view (PPV) matches has aroused, with supporter groups from many leading clubs organising a boycott of the games with the money instead going to food banks.

A Premier League shareholders meeting will take place via video conference and the PPV controversy is top of the agenda. One match is believed to have attracted considerably fewer than 1,000 paying subscribers.

It is expected that the £14.95 arrangement via Sky and BT Sport’s Box Office channels will remain in place for all PPV matches until the November international break, including the weekend of November 6-8, but that clubs will then consider reducing the price to £9.95 to fall in line with the charge levied to watch EFL clubs’ matches via the iFollow service.

Liverpool’s supporter group Spirit of Shankly raised £81,000 from fans donating the £14.95 fee they would have paid to Sky Sports for the game against Sheffield United on Saturday. Other groups have organised similar boycotts.

There seems little appetite among the clubs for a return to making all matches available on Sky and BT for no extra charge, but reducing the cost of watching the games would at least be in line with action that the Football Supporters’ Association has urged.

Richard Masters, the Premier League chief executive, said this month the price was “defensible” while BT Sport said it was simply covering its costs in screening the matches and insisted that the Premier League had suggested a retail price.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...opping-cost-of-pay-per-view-matches-56ghptkwq

Back