Sky Sports News- Fernando tribute

Davie Weir

Since a lot of criticism has been aimed at the media and how they have responded to Ricksens sad passing I thought I would post this.

The BBC and the Record have been involved with a couple of disgusting incidents but I’d like to praise Sky Sports News for their tributes today.
I’m not always a fan of Sky sports but they did things the right way this afternoon.

They showed footage from outside of Ibrox while passing on their condolences to everyone involved.
They had interviews with McLeish and Lovenkrands both praising the kind of person and player Fernando was. They also showed his Rangers highlights with goals and title celebrations. Unlike the BBC there was no mention of his private life to overshadow his brilliant playing career.

This is the way a legend should be remembered.

Well said Davie Weir.

The natural human reaction in the face of someone's passing is to give condolence, remind ourselves of the good things about that person, and certainly show heart and sympathy for the utterly awful circumstances Fernando and his family have found themselves in over the last few years, that many of us will never truly understand, such is the nature of MND.

The fact journalists will go out of their way to override such a basic human emotion to tar Fernando's memory, a matter of hours after his passing makes me incredibly angry. It's another example of why I hate the country i really should love. They take something as horrible as Fernando's passing and treat it like a game. Sickening.

well done Sky Sports for doing the natural and decent thing.

I know people are well meaning asking everyone to wear orange tomorrow night in tribute to fernando , but it’s late notice for 40,000 people to order an orange top or t shirt .

This could be arranged for our next home league game perhaps with proceeds going to mnd charity ? Just a thought .

It's called common decency.

The scum of the Scottish media who in general masquerade as journalists have none.

It’s simple really.

Sky sports did what every decent person would’ve done. They talked about him with class and dignity which really is what you’d expect anyone to do in the situation.

Just a shame the Scottish media can’t do the same

ITV were decent and reported on Fernandos success at Rangers and all his courage right to the end as he fundraised over a million for research. They interviewed Michael Mols who was clearly devastated.
Such a sad day.

I know people are well meaning asking everyone to wear orange tomorrow night in tribute to fernando , but it’s late notice for 40,000 people to order an orange top or t shirt .

This could be arranged for our next home league game perhaps with proceeds going to mnd charity ? Just a thought .

I was going to be wearing my orange shirt next week anyway but I agree Ibrox would look immense nearly 50k in the same tops

What did he say? Saw Lennon said a nice piece as well

Chief executive Peter Lawwell added: "Fernando was part of Scottish football for a number of years and for him to be taken so young is a huge tragedy.
"He fought this terrible condition with such courage and we should all admire and respect the inspirational way in which he tackled the challenge which he faced.
"He showed immense bravery throughout. Our thoughts and prayers of course are with Fernando's family and friends at such a difficult time."

Big Ecks tribute was lovely. A mature resume of the man.

Tomorrow night Bears. Everyone wear Orange.
By all means. A far better tribute would be a bucket collection and everyone in the stadium contribute a minimum of £1 to the MND foundation. That would be sensational.
A later date game between Gers and Dutch greats would also be a great idea to raise funds.
We need to tackle this horrid disease.

Back