Sky Sports - Rangers agree fee for Colak

Status
Not open for further replies.
media are at it. It’s planned and they know what they are doing. Any post from them should be ridiculed and just call them the Celtic comic that they are.
Correct ....then when it happens they just scamper off to try and find some other angle to embarrass us......

They've been linked with Keita Balde and Fabio Martins but I think if the shoe was on the other foot people would want us to get a replacement in instead of going with 1 striker. Their next game is tomorrow afternoon

Last edited:
Can't get a game for PAOK?? 29 years old?? Not sure about this one.

Folk need to get over the old school view of being close to 30 means you are over the hill.

If he was 32/33 aye, maybe you’d have a point but the way football has changed now with sports science it will be more and more common for peaks in careers to be around 28-32 and retirement age closer to 38

How long are we meant to give PAOK here?

This is not impatience, it's the more the concept that we're meant to just hang about for them to sign a striker first. That could take weeks.

I think we have to think about moving on from Colak, it seems ridiculous to be beholden to an indefinite period of time we have no control over.

We need to set them a deadline and be prepared to move on to other targets. We are preparing for a new seasons and champions league qualifiers in a few weeks. Them having a replacement is of no concern to us. Get the deal over line or move on!

Love the chin stroking that goes on in these threads from the Football Manager players. Mmm yes, I believe we should table a final "take it or leave it" offer of £1.8m with add-ons based on appearances and goals, and demand an answer within 12 hours, then speak to Sotirios Kyrgiakos and get him to plant stories in the Greek press with quotes from the player's agent.

If Wilson hasn't already come up with this strategy then I'm afraid he is weak, we need a pit bull of a DoF.
I like the posters who when someone is rumoured to be offering £10m for one of our players they post “£25m and then we talk”

Folk need to get over the old school view of being close to 30 means you are over the hill.

If he was 32/33 aye, maybe you’d have a point but the way football has changed now with sports science it will be more and more common for peaks in careers to be around 28-32 and retirement age closer to 38
Posted a few days ago (forgive my memory as I’m half cut now) but Davis was 34, McGregor 36 and Arfield 29/30 when we signed them ‘recently’. All have played a major part in recent seasons

100%. Hate to compare but the scums Japanese striker will be turning 28 shortly. There’s folk on here who will say he was a good signing for them and will make them a squillion pounds yada yada, but in the same breath say Colak is too old and has no resale value. 28/29 is a perfectly fine age for a striker. If he has 2/3 good seasons and helps us win the league and qualify for the CL he will be a great signing.

100%. Hate to compare but the scums Japanese striker will be turning 28 shortly. There’s folk on here who will say he was a good signing for them and will make them a squillion pounds yada yada, but in the same breath say Colak is too old and has no resale value. 28/29 is a perfectly fine age for a striker. If he has 2/3 good seasons and helps us win the league and qualify for the CL he will be a great signing.

Agreed

plus I'm pretty sure big Dado was nearly 29yrs old when we signed him & he turned out not too bad

edit: just noticed @Mr Wilton had posted likewise before me

Last edited:

I thought this was a decent interview from a Swedish journalist, like the part about him scoring against teams with a 'low block'.

How long are we meant to give PAOK here?

This is not impatience, it's the more the concept that we're meant to just hang about for them to sign a striker first. That could take weeks.

I think we have to think about moving on from Colak, it seems ridiculous to be beholden to an indefinite period of time we have no control over.
Fair chance we will walk away from the deal the player might have to push things through at his end but I can't see us holding out for much longer I think the next few days will be interesting.

It's clear there are fans who've already made their mind up with Colak and the stuff in the media slating him will re inforce their attitude towards them.
The amount of times I hear people repeat negative stuff they've read in the papers.
Remember the attitude to Lundstrum on here last season.

Seems to be the way these days once you hit 28-29 your classed as done, just look @Davidmckrangers he's retiring at 35 B-D

Yeah but is it a blueprint meaning it is never deviated from?

If we bring in young players it's 'no more project players', look at someone with a bit of experience who will hopefully hit the ground running 'too old, what about the blueprint '.

Can't really win
How can it be deviated from if it’s never actually done?

Stop looking for an argument where there isn’t one to be had.

The ‘blueprint’ as mentioned in the initial post you quoted has been mentioned numerous times by board members and Ross Wilson. They haven’t been able to implement it thus far which is unfortunate. Did COVID help? Nope. Does a static market help. Nope. But it’s a key pillar in us being dynamic in the market and ultimately becoming self sufficient so it really needs to happen or we are in trouble both on and off the park.

I’m not concerned in us signing Čolak. I actually like the signing but I’m more concerned on the lack of players coming in on a permanent basis who would fit the ‘player trading model’. Where are the next Joe Aribo’s or Calvin Bassey’s? This is supposed to be our model so how do we do it with no players being brought in to develop? The football department is completely stagnant at first team level and has been for two windows.

I don't think anyone thinks 28/29 is over the hill, it's about the player trading model. If it was a player with a Prso/Hateley pedigree (since those names have been mentioned), people wouldn't be as tentative because there will always be exceptions to the buy young rule. The fee is going to put people off too, it is a bit surprising to be potentially spending circa £3m on a squad player. I would have thought we'd be looking at bosmans for squad players and focusing our transfer fees in “nailed on starter” signings, like a right forward. Granted, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes and by the time the transfer window closes those concerns might go away.

I don't understand the signing squad player thinking.
Colak surely will be coming here with the attitude that tells him he can be the number 1 striker.
If not, then pass on him.

I don't think anyone thinks 28/29 is over the hill, it's about the player trading model. If it was a player with a Prso/Hateley pedigree (since those names have been mentioned), people wouldn't be as tentative because there will always be exceptions to the buy young rule. The fee is going to put people off too, it is a bit surprising to be potentially spending circa £3m on a squad player. I would have thought we'd be looking at bosmans for squad players and focusing our transfer fees in “nailed on starter” signings, like a right forward. Granted, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes and by the time the transfer window closes those concerns might go away.
Spending 2 or 3 million on someone who turns 30 next year will always leave me feeling slightly uneasy.

Minimum re sale value and they'll have a lot of miles on the legs and probably 15+ years of muscle and tendon injuries under their belts.

At that age they need to be genuine quality players who regularly run the opposition ragged and score 20+ a season for me.

Dado Prso had just came off a cracking season with Monaco. This guy has done nothing
He’s done nothing? Would you class Jelavic as a success with us? Because I certainly would and if you look at Jelavic’s record prior to signing for us it’s arguably quite a bit worse than Colak’s, in fact I’d go as far as saying the vast majority of supporters would have known little to %^*& all about him had he not scored against the beasts. But Walter knew what he brought to the table, the same way I’m sure Gio and his back room team know exactly what Colak will bring. So to say he’s done nothing is at best ignorant and at worst just downright trolling

He’s done nothing? Would you class Jelavic as a success with us? Because I certainly would and if you look at Jelavic’s record prior to signing for us it’s arguably quite a bit worse than Colak’s, in fact I’d go as far as saying the vast majority of supporters would have known little to %^*& all about him had he not scored against the beasts. But Walter knew what he brought to the table, the same way I’m sure Gio and his back room team know exactly what Colak will bring. So to say he’s done nothing is at best ignorant and at worst just downright trolling
Off track but imagine starting a game with prime Jelavic and Morelos up front . Oooft.

Spending 2 or 3 million on someone who turns 30 next year will always leave me feeling slightly uneasy.

Minimum re sale value and they'll have a lot of miles on the legs and probably 15+ years of muscle and tendon injuries under their belts.

At that age they need to be genuine quality players who regularly run the opposition ragged and score 20+ a season for me.
Even the defenders?

Defoe was 36 when we signed him and had a very good goal scoring record. Steven Davis was 34 when we signed him again If I recall as well. Granted they were free, but got a couple of seasons out of them

Why are people so against this signing? He took his goals very well against us and will score goals in the SPL. £2m-£3m in footballing terms is very small price to pay for the goals he can score.
Because he’s not a 5m plus signing with a super duper fancy name from one of the top 5 leagues is my guess. It strikes of football snobbery from a lot without actually looking at his record, which fwiw, is bloody decent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back